AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
They (Outlaw) have indicated that they will only put out a firmware update to include an Auto-EQ if it met "their" standards.

This might be a weasel word get them off the hook - so to speak.

I imagine if the Sherwood version gets "rave" reviews, it might be possible. If not, then I doubt you will see an Auto-Eq in the Outlaw unit.

Further, if the Sherwood requires a chip upgrade to enable Auto-EQ, there is a good possibility the Outlaw would require the same chip upgrade. I have no first hand knowledge that Outlaw uses the exact same chip - but it would be a good guess.

Outlaw may be reluctant to get into a chip swap just to enable Auto-EQ. It might be easier to say, "we prefer a more robust version " and that would provide them plausible cover for not doing anything.

However, if Outlaw was to provide an Auto-EQ (in almost any form), it would make it a very compelling pre-pro for it's price.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
No, I think you'll eventually see an auto-EQ on the 990, and that it will be a s/w (not chip) upgrade. But don't hold your breath. Outlaw has indicated that it isn't a top priority.

FWIW, I wouldn't use it if it had it. I am more than capable of doing my own EQ, thank you very much. ;)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That's why I am using my Yamaha htr 5790 as a pre/pro with 5 channels amplified which yielded good results.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This is Outlaw's response to the question. To me it sounds like its definitely in the plans, but it also doesn't sound like its in the near future.

"As has been pointed out in this thread, our colleagues at Sherwood are about to release an upgrade package including an “auto-eq†function for some of their products that share a similar platform with the Model 990. We are currently testing solutions that add an auto-eq function to the Model 990 as part of a planned software maintenance upgrade that both improves its functionality and addresses certain issues that have been brought to our attention. However, at this point the auto-eq system’s performance does not meet our standards, and we will not release it until we are completely satisfied with both its overall accuracy (especially in setup) and the control menus that drive it. (It should be also be mentioned here that while the Model 990 shares many aspects of its hardware platform with other products, the software menus and control system are uniquely Outlaw’s.) We are proud of our control system and will make certain that any additional features maintain the same level of flexibility and ease of use.

Right now our first priority is to complete the maintenance upgrade as a standalone release, with auto-eq to follow when it is ready. Please understand that while our pre-release testing has already validated the Model 990’s hardware to successfully perform any upgrades via USB or RS-232 connections, it will still take some time for the actual software upgrade to be completed and for us to put it through the required validation and beta testing.

The Outlaws"

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I'd bet, that the more all the 990 owners start asking/begging for the addition of a EQ setup routine as a upgrade, the sooner it will probably happen.

As noted by Jeff, the Sherwood units with the smaller 8k memory chips needs the memory to be upgraded to 16k. And without knowing what amount of memory the 990 has, I feel it was best to just delete all reference to that part.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Johnla:

Point of information: With respect to the Sherwood, all existing '65 series units needed to upgrade a memory chip from 8k to 16k.

Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
I asume that this would simply be a simple room and speaker eq. Does anyone know if furture upgrades will include a cinema-re/eq similar to THX? I may be wrong but I think other units have this feature even though they are not THX units and thus do not pay the THX roylaty fee.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What other units?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
What other units?
Ohhhhhhh, it's just probably that about 95-98% of all the AVR's and pre-pro's made, have some sort of cinema re-eq setting on them. That usually works very simular to the way that ones with a bona-fide THX certification does.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Maybe the EQ and other hardware related features aren't part of the deal they have with Sherwood. I'm sure Sherwood kept several things out of the deal that we just don't know about, including the existing hardware inside the 990.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
Ohhhhhhh, it's just probably that about 95-98% of all the AVR's and pre-pro's made, have some sort of cinema re-eq setting on them. That usually works very simular to the way that ones with a bona-fide THX certification does.
I have something called "Theater Comp" or similar on my 950. Never used it. Is that what you're talking about? Are you claiming that the 990 doesn't have it? (Does the Sherwood?)

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
The "Theater Comp" setting you have is probably the very same thing. And yes the Sherwood has a "Cinema EQ" mode setting. And by looking at their online manual for the 990 it appears that they do as well, but it looks like they again decided to call it "Theater Compensation", when most everyone else usually just seem to call it "Cinema EQ". The way that different manufactures can decide to re-name what is otherwise mostly a common operation or setting just to be different for some reason, is plain silly some times. Because many times it seems, that it often can only add to the confusion when people are trying to compare products.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Add to that the poor explanations that go with the options and you end up with unused and unappreciated options... :mad:

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Add to that the poor explanations that go with the options and you end up with unused and unappreciated options...
Yeah, that's another thing. Bad explanations and or very poor owners manuals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.