AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently added 2 Outlaw monoblock 2200s to power my front left and right channel. Each amp has an unbalanced port which I utilized. I have 1 stereo rca cable (red for right channel) going from one of the amps going to the red preout port labeled front on the back of the Yamaha RX-V1800, and the white rca cable coming from the other unbalanced port of the other monoblock amp to the white input of the front preout of the Yamaha RX-V1800.

This is my problem, for one reason or another, I do not get any sound from anything other than front left and right channel now when I have the reciever set to pcm, or, "straight". This happens with all sources. Now, if I the receiver set to anything else, like 7 channel stereo, the rest of the speakers kick in.

Does anyone know why this is may be happening?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I believe he is kindly saying "Read the Manual"

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I did read the manual. It recommends running the auto setup with the YPAO which I did. I still get nothing when I set it to PCM. It has an advanced setup that if I am not mistaken takes me into a service menu of sorts. I read through it and didn't see anything that referenced the preamp setup, unless I am just not understanding all the different terms?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-V2700, which should be somewhat similar in operation. I did not have to do anything special to hook up a 2 channel amp to my L/R channels.

I am not sure why your setup is not working.

You tried playing a DVD with the receiver set to 'straight' mode and you got sound to only the L/R channels? What's your DVD (Blu-ray?) player? Connected via HDMI?

Try disconnecting the amp and does make a difference?

·
Registered
273 Posts
PCM over digital coax or Toslink optical only carries two channels, left and right. If you want to hear 5.1/7.1 audio, don't use PCM over digital coax/Toslink - configure your source device to output bitstream for Dolby Digital and DTS, and the receiver will decode the stream and output 5.1/7.1 on all channels.

HDMI can transmit LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 directly, so if you have a PS3 or a BD/HD-DVD player, you can connect it with HDMI to the receiver and set it for PCM, and it will in fact transmit all 5.1 or 7.1 channels, and play back successfully on your Yamaha.

Yes, it's in the manual, somewhere.

Greg

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much guys. I've been fiddling around with it and it is giving me surround on straight with HD cable now. The PS3 however is still only giving me 2 channel audio. The odd thing is that I am getting sound out of my rear center channel (6.1) alongside my two front left and right channels. I do have everything hooked up via HDMI.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Now, that is strange. You're getting sound out of the Right, Left fronts, and Rear center channel, but not the side surrounds or front center? This might sound like a stupid question, but did you configure your receiver and tell it how many speakers you have hooked up?

The PS3 has some configuration options of it's own. It might have a multi-channel PCM output over HDMI setting that needs to be configured.

G reg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts