21 - 40 of 986 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/12352747

7 Outlaw 2200's. Love em! Guess where they are in the pic

Sweet!

I see them! I will add two more in sprong of 08, them the saga will be complete.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Anyone have a 7500? thinking of going the separates route.

Will these be that much better than getting a higher end Denon or Integra Receiver?

Was thinking of possible matching a 7500 to an integra 9.8.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey all. Looking at purchasing a used 750 from somebody locally. Anything I should be on the look for when i go audition them? Is $650 too much for an 8 year old amp?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
How efficient or inefficient power-consumption-wise would five monoblocks be compared to running a five-channel amp? I'm looking at grabbing a 5-channel amp with xlr, but the price of the 2200s has me considering the monoblock route. Problem is, I don't have an additional five outlets available-- can they be run on a generic power strip without problems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, I have the 990/7500/lfm+ and run them with the axioms 80s-150-qs8s and the system rocks in ht and music. The room size is 15/23/8 and cannot blast them louder without hurting my ears. The 7500 is a big and powerful amp. Im shure either the 7500 or the monos will fit your needs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm currently auditioning the B&K 700.2 and the Outlaw 7700. I was able to get a demo B&K 700.2 from Magnolia for about same price as the Outlaw 7700 (the 700.2 is $3000 MSRP). While I think the Outlaw sounds about as good as the B&K (there are subtle differences), there is little in the way of power filtering on the Outlaw making it very finicky as to power coming from the outlet.

The Outlaw pretty much requires a dedicated circuit as even with good filtering other equipment on the same circuit will make the transformers hum. This is not ground loop hum coming from the speakers, but mechanical noise coming from the amp itself. It is audible from my listening position some 7 feet away from the amp. Even after putting it on it's own dedicated circuit, the humming comes and goes.

This might not bother some people, but it bothered me, particularly since the B&K does not suffer from the same problems.

Outlaw support has been great, BTW. They shipped me out a replacement unit when I complained about the humming on the first unit and have shipped me out a DC filter to help troubleshoot the issue. They also extended my 30 day trial period when they sent me out the replacement amp.

If I wasn't able to get a demo B&K amp, I would have no problems with the Outlaw 7700. Would probably live with the humming.

It's a well built amp in all respects, except I think they had to compromise a bit on the power handling. My thoughts are that for a piece of electronic equipment it should be able to handle even fairly noisy power.

However, sound wise, it's a very good performer.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R /forum/post/12383186

How efficient or inefficient power-consumption-wise would five monoblocks be compared to running a five-channel amp? I'm looking at grabbing a 5-channel amp with xlr, but the price of the 2200s has me considering the monoblock route. Problem is, I don't have an additional five outlets available-- can they be run on a generic power strip without problems?

I have all five of my M2200's plugged into a Monster power strip, and have for over a year now with no issues. You will be fine using a power strip long as it is not a cheap one.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R /forum/post/12383186

I was wondering the same thing as far as efficiency of the monoblocks, as I know that receivers power ratings decrease as more channels are driven, in other words a 140W x 7 receiver might only be putting out 80W each channel when all channels are being driven. Anyone know how the Outlaw amps do in this respect if I went for one of their 7 channels in one unit compared to the separate monoblocks?

I figure having separate monoblocks would eliminate this issue, but would require extensive changes to my setup to accomodate the space needed for 7of these things, so I wanted to make sure I considered all options before dropping the cash and making the structural changes.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbeef /forum/post/11996389

I've been looking at outlaw for a bit now. for the time being, i am running mirage full mirage 7 speakers
m-9 towers, om center and hd-t surrounds. Earthquake sub up front and a smaller psb sub in the back corner of the room all powered off a pioneer elite vsx 74. I thought of either gettin the 2200s for just the towers and center for now or just goin with less power and getting the 7125 to power all 7 speakers. anyone have anyinput for me? in the near future, i may be swapping out for klipsch reference RF-83 system or maybe even the ultra 2 system.Has anyone heard these amps with any of these or similar setups?

Instead of the monoblocks, I wonder if I could save some coin and find a 7125 for my RF-83 setup? Hmmm. 125w x 7 I would think would be enough for those speakers, and would be significantly cheaper and take up less room.

Anyone here have any opinions on it?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND /forum/post/12543309

I was wondering the same thing as far as efficiency of the monoblocks, as I know that receivers power ratings decrease as more channels are driven, in other words a 140W x 7 receiver might only be putting out 80W each channel when all channels are being driven. Anyone know how the Outlaw amps do in this respect if I went for one of their 7 channels in one unit compared to the separate monoblocks?

I figure having separate monoblocks would eliminate this issue, but would require extensive changes to my setup to accomodate the space needed for 7of these things, so I wanted to make sure I considered all options before dropping the cash and making the structural changes.

I don't really think it matters if you go monoblocks or 7 channels. I have the 7700 and it is great. I have it hooked up to an Onkyo SC-PR885P by balanced connectors. No hum or ground loop problems.

The 7 channel amp is going to have large power supply(s) I can't remember but I think the 7700 has two and the monoblocks have seven smaller power supplies. Some people think the large transformers store more energy for large dynamic sounds for a few channels and are better. After all you don't have seven channels going 100% all the time any way. Some say the 7 smaller transformers give more total power and are better. I say it all depends on the audio you are listening to at the time.

The main limiting factor is going to be your power going to the units if you have only one 15 or 20 amp line going into your room and everything is hooked to it you can't supply your amp with enough power. For true 7X200 watt output the line can't handle it.

I have two 15 amp lines with 2 SVS PB12/plus2 @900 watts each

2 AV123 RS1000 mains that have 350watt amps each (just for the 8" woofer-The other speakers are run by the main amp)

Outlaw 7700 is 7X200 watts

900X2=1800

350X2=750

7X200=1400

Lights and audio equipment maybe another 600 watts total. Projector burns about 200 alone.

A 15 amp 120 volt line has 1800 watts available. (Under perfect conditions)

So 15X2 is 30 ampsX120volts gives a total of 3600 watts available.

If all my equipment is at 100 %( which will never happen) then I need 4550 Watts to run it. I need more juice. (And so do most people)

Getting ready to run another 20 amp dedicated amp line.

I can dim and flicker the lights in my theater if I crank it up past ref.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The power supplies in the 2200's are a pancake design, that what makes them slim. Instead of the the power supply being tall like traditional ones, it is short and wide so the size would be the same.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence /forum/post/12549211

The power supplies in the 2200's are a pancake design, that what makes them slim. Instead of the the power supply being tall like traditional ones, it is short and wide so the size would be the same.

Are you saying the power supply is the same in the 2200 as the 7700/7500 or are you saying the design makes it the same as other similar monoblocks?

They don't look the same size between the 7700/7500 and 2200 to me. I understand about the 2200's being pan caked but it doesn't look larger in diameter.

From the pictures linked here http://www.prillaman.net/outlaw_pics/#7500svet You can see the dual power supplies of the 7500 and the much thinner power supply of the 2200. Now if you add up the power supplies of the 2200 they may be even bigger than the 7700 but the point I was making is you still have two schools of thought on power supplies. A smaller dedicated power supply that could possibly run out of juice if long/large dynamics are played for that single channel or a large shared supply that all channels get to draw from that may not run out of juice if a single channel has the same load.

Even more important than the power supply size pictured is the quality of the components used. If you look at the pictures you can see the quality in these amps. Good stuff!

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson23 /forum/post/12541454

BloggingItGuy...did u pay the shipping for sending back the amps to outlaw?

I didn't pay any shipping for the replacement amp they sent out.

It too had the problem with the humming transformers so I eventually sent it back under the 30 day trial guarantee.

I had to pay for shipping the amp back to them...they took it out of the refund cost for the amp. About $94...costs a lot to ship these beasts.

You can read about the entire experience here: http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/200...tt-home-t.html

I think it's worth trying out Outlaw's amp, as other owners have gotten the same or similar amp with no humming from the transformers, which is great, however if you do have the problem with humming transformers, I'd probably just send it back and try an amp from a different company.

Outlaw support is very good, however. That can't be overstated for it's importance.

As for the other part of the thread, no, the power supplies in the 2200 are not the same as what's in the 7500/7700.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
speaking of that. Some of my 2200's hum (low). If you put your ear up to them, you hear them humming. I stack them up 2 each and I've noticed that the 3 2200's that I have that are on the bottom of a 2 stack have the hum. Its not all that loud, usually have to be within 2 feet. The other 4 are silent. This is when they are in hibernation or full powered on.

3 2200’s go into one dedicated circuit (1 hums)

4 2200’s go into another dedicated cicuit (2 hum)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, it's normal for transformers to hum, but usually you have to be right next to them to hear them.

When you can hear it from 7 or 8 feet away, that's not good, but that's the situation I was running into with the 7700.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I'm considering getting an OutLaw 7700 amp as I want to go to a 7.1 set-up. Is everyone happy with this amp?

I'm currently using a Parasound Halo A51 (250W X 5) along with an NAD T175 processor, and Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GSLCR center, Energy RC-R rears), sound quality is excellent. I was considering just adding a Parasound Halo A21 amp (250W X 2) to get the additional 2 channels. But I was thinking it would be cleaner to have one unit (as opposed to two), it would be a hassle to mount.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have run both Outlaw and Parasound amps. I currently use my Outlaw 7700 to drive my 5.1 system, 2 amp channels going to the fronts. The Parasound 1205a was my main amp before getting the Outlaw, it is now my 'spare' amp in case I need anything. I haven't run into a single issue in the past 4 years of owning my 7700, knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal /forum/post/15550879

I have run both Outlaw and Parasound amps. I currently use my Outlaw 7700 to drive my 5.1 system, 2 amp channels going to the fronts. The Parasound 1205a was my main amp before getting the Outlaw, it is now my 'spare' amp in case I need anything. I haven't run into a single issue in the past 4 years of owning my 7700, knock on wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/15548351

I'm considering getting an OutLaw 7700 amp as I want to go to a 7.1 set-up. Is everyone happy with this amp?

I'm currently using a Parasound Halo A51 (250W X 5) along with an NAD T175 processor, and Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GSLCR center, Energy RC-R rears), sound quality is excellent. I was considering just adding a Parasound Halo A21 amp (250W X 2) to get the additional 2 channels. But I was thinking it would be cleaner to have one unit (as opposed to two), it would be a hassle to mount.

Interesting. I went from 7 x Outlaw MA2200 to a Parasound A51/A23 combo and IMO that was major improvement. Not sure what kind of power your rear speakers require, but instead of going for the 'cleaner' route, I would suggest sticking with one brand for similar amp characteristics. Consider the A23 (125W x 2) if your rears don't need a lot of power. I picked one up used on Audiogon for $500.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm /forum/post/15551513

Consider the A23 (125W x 2) if your rears don't need a lot of power. I picked one up used on Audiogon for $500.

wow, did'nt even think to consider that. Using one A23 is significantly much smaller than adding one A21. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 986 Posts