AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I have considered the 7700 7 channel amp for my home theater system. I already have the speakers and right now I'm using an Onkyo Receiver, but that's only until I get a really nice 7 channel amp.


I'm new to Outlaw's amps. Is the only way to purchase them from their online store or are they sold in other outlets? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves /forum/post/15568568


I have considered the 7700 7 channel amp for my home theater system. I already have the speakers and right now I'm using an Onkyo Receiver, but that's only until I get a really nice 7 channel amp.


I'm new to Outlaw's amps. Is the only way to purchase them from their online store or are they sold in other outlets? Thanks

Online or used at Audiogon/eBay...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Does Outlaw ever have any sales events? I know they have some B Stock and some combination sales, but I don't want to purchase an amp and a processor if I already have a processor. It would be nice just to have a sale on their amps and other products separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves /forum/post/15628586


Does Outlaw ever have any sales events?.

Yes they do. Sign up to get on their email list, as that is about the only way you will get advance notice to find out about any sales or promotions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I'm seriously considering Outlaws 7500. It's a balanced amp 5x200 wpc and Outlaw's having a sale on some of their amps.


I was leaning towards their 7700, but chances are that even though I have speakers I can use for the 7.1, I almost never have space to use them. Plus getting the 7500 saves me $400 which is good in this economy.


Of course, I'd love to have the 7900. I don't think you'd ever consider another amp after having all that power at your disposal.


I looked into getting a Class D (digital) multi-channel amp and I guess I'm just not ready to step into that. I guess my only concern is if 200 wpc will be more than enough to power my speakers which are relatively effecient 8 ohm speakers and at least 90db efficient. My primary use is almost totally home theater and I just need the 7500 to bring out the best in my speakers and primarily for me, the center speaker for dialog and pretty much everything else.


Is there any good reason for me to go up to the 7900 (the 7500 is more affordable)? and does anyone think I should go ahead and get a 7700 even if I wouldn't currently be using the additional 2 channels? Lastly, if you order from Outlaw, do they pay shipping?


Thanks and let me know what you guys think of the sound quality of Outlaw's balanced amps ok?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Yes they do. Sign up to get on their email list, as that is about the only way you will get advance notice to find out about any sales or promotions.

They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).


BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The main limiting factor is going to be your power going to the units if you have only one 15 or 20 amp line going into your room and everything is hooked to it you can't supply your amp with enough power. For true 7X200 watt output the line can't handle it.

A 20 amp circuit can handle much more then 1400 Watts peak.....continuous no but we are talking peak here.


btw, I have a 20 amp circuit that has the following on it....EP2500 (2000+W), Sunfire Sig II (2000W), DCX2496 and a couple of 12v transformers for fans/lighting/etc. On another 20 amp circuit in another room I have 5 2200 monoblocks and a FACE F1200TS amp another 2000+W amp


Never had a problem in over two years at my new house and I have pumped some serious dBs out of my monster system.



btw, I agree that 20 amps for a whole room is silly, Audio equipments needs a dedicated circuit but a 20 Amp circuit can handle more then you think for split seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
If one were to look at theproduct specifications they should find a place that indicates the amps required for the unit. Take those and add them all up the add 10% and there is the size circuit one needs for their gear. There is no magic or "under perfect conditions" if you have a 15 amp line it handles 15 amps same for anyother size. If you breaker trips then you are either overloaded or you have a bad breaker. My job puts me in touch with electricity and electrical loads all the time so I speak from experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15890412


They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).


BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.

Well some, but not all of the Outlaw amps are built in the US for them by ATI. So I'm sure that has something to do with their pricing not being as low as some others are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/12556334


speaking of that. Some of my 2200's hum (low). If you put your ear up to them, you hear them humming. I stack them up 2 each and I've noticed that the 3 2200's that I have that are on the bottom of a 2 stack have the hum. Its not all that loud, usually have to be within 2 feet. The other 4 are silent. This is when they are in hibernation or full powered on.


3 2200’s go into one dedicated circuit (1 hums)


4 2200’s go into another dedicated cicuit (2 hum)

I've got three 2200's and they all hum. It's not a huge deal to me as it's not loud and are in a separate room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I've got three 2200's and they all hum. It's not a huge deal to me as it's not loud and are in a separate room.

Very interesting, none of my 2200s hum or I havent been close enough to them to hear anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15890412


They do but compared to AV123 or Emotiva, Outlaw sales events are kind of a joke (IMO).


BTW, Im a very happy owner of 7 Outlaw 2200 Monblocks so Im not being a troll and trashing outlaw. I just wish they had some good sales once in awhile.


I have to updated this because since posting my opinion that they never have sales I did receive the email on the 2200 sale which I think is pretty damn good and free shipping! Maybe they read my last post
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16371366


Very interesting, none of my 2200s hum or I havent been close enough to them to hear anything.

I'm going on 1.5 years with mine now (7) and they all still hum at the same volume as they always have. But the hum is so low that you really need to be within 5 feet to hear and they arnt loud enough to be heard over any sound from the system. I still love the things to death. the only thing I seriously would like to do is trade them for the 300 watt x7 Outlaw unit but its just to much and Ive put to much into the monoblocks now.


I'm so absolutely happy I got the monoblocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have an Outlaw 7500 and I'm in the process of upgrading/augmenting my entire audio outfit, beginning with a Middle Atlantic Slim-5 rack.


I was displeased to find the Outlaw 7500 didn't fit into a 4U shelf space.

The feet raise it too high.


Since M.A sell all the necessary blank faces/vented faces, I bought an assortment, but since the Outlaw doesn't fit, there's not much I can do except leave a blank, empty space.

I'd prefer a proper 1 space vented cover for aesthetic's sake.


Does anyone know of a rack kit for Outlaw amps in general, or mods that will allow acceptable airflow around the amp, yet have it fit into a 4U shelf?


Thanks,

BSD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know of a rack kit for Outlaw amps in general, or mods that will allow acceptable airflow around the amp, yet have it fit into a 4U shelf?

bdowning, have you considered using a heavy-duty equipment rack shelf? I've been wondering if the Outlaw amps were rack-mountable or not... I've been thinking about what to do for future setup if not mountable. I eventually plan to go the equipment rack route, and I was already going to get some shelves for things like PS3, DVR, cable modem, etc. StarTech makes some heavy duty shelves, such as the ADJSHELFHDV (250# capacity, vented, adjustable depth from 19.5 to 38.3"). I don't think this would keep you within 4U though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Anyone compare an Outlaw Audio amp with an integrated receiver?  I am now comparing a used Outlaw Audio 770 (200Wx7) against my Denon 5700 (140Wx5) and am, surprisingly, not finding much of a difference in terms of sound quality.  I have an Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player and Paradigm Studio 40's.

 

Using the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD, I first listened to my existing Denon setup and then wired up the Outlaw 770, expected greatness and found, as much as I can tell, the same sound quality.  I redid the comparison at louder volumes ~90db (using my Radio Shack meter) and, still, can't say that I heard a difference. 

 

I also compared the black hawk scene of White House down at high volumes (~95db) and I'm just not finding much of a difference.

 

I thought I had a decent ear and appreciate a good recording, movie soundtrack, etc, but now I'm wondering...  am I missing something??

 

I have a pretty small basement room 10'x20' and maybe I just have no use for the extra wattage.

Maybe the Denon 5700 is that good??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyers300  /t/899590/outlaw-amps-owners-thread/30#post_24050959


Anyone compare an Outlaw Audio amp with an integrated receiver?  I am now comparing a used Outlaw Audio 770 (200Wx7) against my Denon 5700 (140Wx5) and am, surprisingly, not finding much of a difference in terms of sound quality.  I have an Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player and Paradigm Studio 40's.


Using the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD, I first listened to my existing Denon setup and then wired up the Outlaw 770, expected greatness and found, as much as I can tell, the same sound quality.  I redid the comparison at louder volumes ~90db (using my Radio Shack meter) and, still, can't say that I heard a difference. 


I also compared the black hawk scene of White House down at high volumes (~95db) and I'm just not finding much of a difference.


I thought I had a decent ear and appreciate a good recording, movie soundtrack, etc, but now I'm wondering...  am I missing something??


I have a pretty small basement room 10'x20' and maybe I just have no use for the extra wattage.

Maybe the Denon 5700 is that good??

To be fair with your comparison.


Did you use a dedicated Pre/Pro with the outlaw 770?


Separates vs an AVR rather than an AVR used as a Pre/Pro for the shoot out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

No, I used the preamp outs on the Denon to the Outlaw amp.  I wanted to just compare amp vs amp...  I guess because I also don't have another preamp :)
 
41 - 60 of 1002 Posts
Top