AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 976 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, please report how the amp performs and post some pics too. Try to be critical of any hum or buzz before and after amp connection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am considering dual Outlaw 2220s to power my F206 towers - any current owners of this amp able to give me your thoughts on how these perform for music? Thinking they will do well for home theater movies / TV and rock - curious if others have experience with how the clarity is with this amp for example with classical music - piano / strings. I am looking to use the external amps for Revel F206 towers for home theater use as part of a 7.2.4 system and also for 2 channel music listening. I am also considering a few amps from Parasound - 2250 v2 and Halo A23+ if any has listened to these and Outlaw, would love to hear thoughts. Thanks!
I have some of the Outlaw 2220's (three) and using them to power a front stage of Arendal Monitor S speakers (they are bookshelf speakers but huge bookshelves, think 50lbs+, 4+ feet tall speakers with dual woofers, imported from Norway; mention so you can compare). The 2220's are amazing for both music and movies in my experience. Clean/neutral sound, very quiet, auto on/off is seamless, run very cool also - I actually have them stacked. They look great also and boy can they play clean at loud volumes. I've tested primarily with rock/jazz/rap but listen to classical from time to time to relax and have been impressed. I also considered the Parasound amps but liked the idea of monoblocks so went with those.

I've had them for a few months now and no complaints, really happy with them and the customer service with Outlaw was great - very responsive and quick shipping. Would highly recommend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you running the three monoblocks from the same plug of the wall? Did you have to use 20 amp circuit or regular 15 amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Are you running the three monoblocks from the same plug of the wall? Did you have to use 20 amp circuit or regular 15 amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm running 5 of them on the same 15 amp circuit, no issues at all.

Reactions: zahidbd

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, please report how the amp performs and post some pics too. Try to be critical of any hum or buzz before and after amp connection.
Have I got an amazing update.....

I'm already in love with Outlaw..... It looks like my amplifiers will actually be arriving tomorrow!!!! too bad I don't think my new RCA cables will arrive on time to connect it tomorrow.... if they do then you'll be getting an early update!

The expedited shipping is a sweet and appreciated surprise.... starting this relationship right!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
OK they are home!!!

1st impressions..... Packaging is massive and great ( you are asked to save it... where in the world??? I'll figure it out!) these guys are very heavy.... had to enlist a friend to help.... don't have all the cables in yet but did a stereo quick test just because I was dying to do it.... Bi-amped my speakers and as a result I am using 4 of the 7 channels....

I cannot believe how neutral this amplifiers are!!! power is plenty and just keeps coming it beats my expectations and brought my RT3000p's back to life... I will be replacing the tweeters ferrofluid sometime this week... I am really happy thus far... I will have the whole system wired up by end of week and will share some pics then...

Quick note on the "remote turn on issues that have been reported".... I'm using the provided mono 3.5mm lead and it works like a charm... no issues to report at least on the one amp I have connected thus far.... the blue indicator light goes on "bright" when ON... dims a little when OFF... but stays on... nothing a little dark window ting tape can't take care of.

Thanks Outlaw!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Need some advice. Trying to decide between Outlaw 5000/5000X and Audiosource 100vs. I’m upgrading my 7.2 setup to 7.2.4. Going with a Denon x3700 AVR and can’t decide between:

OPTION A) pair the Denon with an Outlaw 5000 and use that to power the L,C,R front stage speakers or

OPTION 2) go with the Audiosource and use the Denon to power everything besides one of the height pairs which would be powered by the Audiosource.

Speakers are Definitive Tech BP8040 towers, CS8040 center, SR8040 side surrounds, and some cheap klipsch for my rear surrounds. Will be getting 4 definitive tech ProMonitor 800’s to to mount to ceiling for Atmos speakers.

What would be a better way to power things, option 1 or 2?

I know both should work but what would be better and give me enough headroom. I like to crank my system pretty loud. Does the Outlaw actually “sound better” than using the Denon’s amp?

·
Registered
22,233 Posts
Need some advice. Trying to decide between Outlaw 5000/5000X and Audiosource 100vs. I’m upgrading my 7.2 setup to 7.2.4. Going with a Denon x3700 AVR and can’t decide between:

OPTION A) pair the Denon with an Outlaw 5000 and use that to power the L,C,R front stage speakers or
Regardless of the external amp you use, your money is always best spent on amping the front stage channels. This reduces the load on the AVR the most, and generally provides more power to those channels than an AVR with all channels driven.

·
Registered
125 Posts

OPTION 2) go with the Audiosource and use the Denon to power everything besides one of the height pairs which would be powered by the Audiosource.

Speakers are Definitive Tech BP8040 towers, CS8040 center, SR8040 side surrounds, and some cheap klipsch for my rear surrounds. Will be getting 4 definitive tech ProMonitor 800’s to to mount to ceiling for Atmos speakers.

What would be a better way to power things, option 1 or 2?

I know both should work but what would be better and give me enough headroom. I like to crank my system pretty loud. Does the Outlaw actually “sound better” than using the Denon’s amp?
Hello there,

Ok so here is what I have done.... I am using a Denon AVR X6500h as a 7.2.4 preamp only... (still not done with set up due to cables being delivered late).... I purchased 2 of the Outlaw 7000X ... for a total of 14 channels... using 6 channels for my front stage and the other 8 for all the surrounds...

So far I have been able to test 4 channels delivered to my front speakers and there is absolutely no question in my mind of the total upgrade in sound, power and headroom when compared to the tiny amp modules in the receiver... (which are class D modules while the Outlaw is a Class A/B... avsforum has great info on the differences.)
the outlaw 7000x is built like a tank at 60+ pounds, so if you can... 1) bi-amp your front stage L, R and C..... 2) afford 2 of the 7000X.... that would put you over the moon!!!

If your budget is limited then.... OPEN YOURSELF TO GROWTH.... by this I mean get 1 7000x and power your L,C,R, sides and back surround channels with it and leave the overheads for the receiver.... then when you get some extra moola... you get another 7000X and jump over the moon!!!

hope this helps.... stay tuned to my review and pics hopefully this weekend!

OH and BTW... audiosource and Outlaw cannot be used in the same sentence... grape(audiosource) and grapefruit(Outlaw).... different animals altogether.

Ed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Regardless of the external amp you use, your money is always best spent on amping the front stage channels. This reduces the load on the AVR the most, and generally provides more power to those channels than an AVR with all channels driven.
Cool, that’s what I thought as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello there,

Ok so here is what I have done.... I am using a Denon AVR X6500h as a 7.2.4 preamp only... (still not done with set up due to cables being delivered late).... I purchased 2 of the Outlaw 7000X ... for a total of 14 channels... using 6 channels for my front stage and the other 8 for all the surrounds...

So far I have been able to test 4 channels delivered to my front speakers and there is absolutely no question in my mind of the total upgrade in sound, power and headroom when compared to the tiny amp modules in the receiver... (which are class D modules while the Outlaw is a Class A/B... avsforum has great info on the differences.)
the outlaw 7000x is built like a tank at 60+ pounds, so if you can... 1) bi-amp your front stage L, R and C..... 2) afford 2 of the 7000X.... that would put you over the moon!!!

If your budget is limited then.... OPEN YOURSELF TO GROWTH.... by this I mean get 1 7000x and power your L,C,R, sides and back surround channels with it and leave the overheads for the receiver.... then when you get some extra moola... you get another 7000X and jump over the moon!!!

hope this helps.... stay tuned to my review and pics hopefully this weekend!

OH and BTW... audiosource and Outlaw cannot be used in the same sentence... grape(audiosource) and grapefruit(Outlaw).... different animals altogether.

Ed
Yeah that’s a good point. The 7000 is only 200 more so maybe I just go for that. Not sure my current setup has room for 2 amps and the AVR. Would have to get creative!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah that’s a good point. The 7000 is only 200 more so maybe I just go for that. Not sure my current setup has room for 2 amps and the AVR. Would have to get creative!
Yes, sir! anytime you can add more power through value it is a good idea... you are only spending $200 for the additional power and flexibility, not to mention you will be immediately improving your home theater experience!

Ed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anybody here know if the Outlaw 2220 monoblocks have class AB power or something else? I have seen pictures of torroidal transformers inside but cant tell if it is pure AB or some sort of switching mode like the newer Emotivas. TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Does anybody here know if the Outlaw 2220 monoblocks have class AB power or something else? I have seen pictures of torroidal transformers inside but cant tell if it is pure AB or some sort of switching mode like the newer Emotivas. TIA.
From the FAQ's on Outlaw's website - Google is your friend:

A. The Model 2200 utilizes a newly designed (and proprietary) hybrid Class A/B/G circuit. It will provide Class A/B power up to 80 watts (which covers about 98% of most listening situations). Above 80 watts the Model 2200 will instantly shift into Class G amplification.

Reactions: zahidbd

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here's a sad update......

I unpacked amp 2 today only to find out that the RCA connector in the Left Channel was loose... free spinning... I have contacted Outlaw and see what they tell me... I don't want to knock them down but that points to QC issues... so for now the promised review is on hold pending the outcome of this unfortunate event..... (😞😟 I was so stoked!!!! now I'm sad and concerned🥺🥺)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quick follow up!!!....

Spoke with Outlaw today and they will be shipping me out a new one and having Fedex pick up the defective one here at home... "that's white glove service in my book"... Also I found out a little sweet news that may affect someone's decision to purchase from Outlaw... 1) they are able to do the "at home" swap out only if you purchase directly from them (as I did).... 2) they have a distribution center in Oregon which explains why I got my amps in 2 days.... so hopefully I can get the replacement by this weekend....

Ed

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz NR1609, Polk RTI LCR and Surrounds
166 Posts
Just ordered the 7000x, really like it can drive 4 ohms no problem, going to pair with with some Polk L600s most likely

·
Registered
125 Posts
Latest update....

My amp is going to sit in a fedex truck until tuesday the 8th...... they originally said it would be delivered today but changed to tuesday a few minutes ago.... oh well

Thus far I am enjoying the front 3 stage speakers being driven by Outlaw#1 I can report that this one amp performs very well, it is dynamic but controlled and uncolored... it reminds me of my old ATI 1500 series amps... There is no perceptible hum, hiss or any noise what so ever... it is "dead" quiet. I'm powering it through my Monster 3600MKII using the provided power cord. The remote turn on works perfectly and doesn't get very hot driving 6 of the 7 channels to near reference levels... I had to lower the front stage level quite a bit to balance the output with the surround channels being driven by the receiver...(keep in mind however that those 3 speakers are being bi-amped) because the output difference is certainly obvious.

I added one of AC Infinity's S8 amp fans to ensure it stays cool and has a long happy life.... in fact I use one S8 on the receiver as well and have a 3rd one to use on Outlaw#2 when it gets here....

I cannot wait to have all channels driven by the Outlaw amps I can already tell that my evil plan was a resounding(;)) success and a budget masterpiece!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well what do you know....

Fed ex made a mistake in my favor and delivered the amp last night!! :p:giggle:

Both amplifiers are now in... and they sound great!!!! The value of this amplifiers goes beyond just price, they are very well made (yes 1 had a little QC issue but Outlaw replaced it as fast as they could) they have beautiful sound and plenty of power for my application. My room is 13' wide by 22' long and I have 8' 6" ceilings, I am using 20+ year old Polk Speakers (that I love).

Here are the things I considered when purchasing these amps:

1) My speakers.... they are oldies but very nice goodies... right in the middle of the sensitivity scale which means they are neither easy to push nor power hungry.
2) My listening style...... I like listening to movies at a reasonable volume because my room is acoustically treated quite silent; however, I do appreciate being surprised by sudden rushes of power that dynamic or explosive scenes demand; something that the receiver failed to do because of it's obvious limitations.
3) Theater Room Size..... As I mentioned above my theater is not huge, has only 2 rows of seats and can be filled with the power produced by the 7000x's with plenty to spare; which is what I try to achieve as a means of "ensuring" I have enough amplification headroom.
4) Music Reproduction..... while I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, I do enjoy listening to music in my theater and I do feel that these amps are musically neutral and dynamic enough to give me an enveloping rich sound stage.... I like all kinds of music but female vocalists can really bring the best and worst out of a sound system... Using my Nvidia Shield Media player in the Tidal app I played directly through the Denon receiver (No DAC or digital restorer engaged) a track by the Artist Fatma Said "Aatini Al Naya Wa Ghanni" (Give me the flute and sing) it's in arabic, I'm not arabic but boy what a beautiful musical piece... the music and her voice are something to experience and showcases the overall capabilities of these amps. (mind you again that I am Bi-Amping my front stage)

Enjoy the pics...
20200906_204337.jpg
20200906_204354.jpg
20200906_204406.jpg
20200906_204434.jpg

941 - 960 of 976 Posts