AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am using subs. I have an Outlaw X12 Ultra and a SVS 12". Thanks for the feedback. My room is 15' x 30' with 9' ceilings. I may go for the next tier up from the 5000x. The only problem is that they're twice the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using subs. I have an Outlaw X12 Ultra and a SVS 12". Thanks for the feedback. My room is 15' x 30' with 9' ceilings. I may go for the next tier up from the 5000x. The only problem is that they're twice the price.
I recently bought a 7000X and am extremely pleased with it. I would definitely recommend Outlaw over Emotiva. I would not hesitate to recommend the Outlaw 7000X.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently using 5-channels. I have no intent on using 7. Would it worth bi-amping the two L/R speakers?
I have never needed to biamp. I did not need the extra channels either. The 7000X is not that much more than the 5000X. I have a couple extra channels in case I ever add speakers. I also liked that the 7000X has a THAT chip, which is well regarded. You can go for the 5000X if you think that is a better fit for you. The Outlaw amps seem to be great bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,279 Posts
You don't need to get a 5 channel amp. Get a 3 channel amp for the front 3, and let the denon handle the rest. That's what I do with my x4300h, and I can play to earbleed levels with my Klipsch speakers.
I was going to recommend 3 m2200 if you wanted to stick with Outlaw Audio, but they are apparently discontinued. Both Monoprice Monolith and Emotiva have well regarded 3 channel amps in the $1000+ range

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know of a place that repairs Outlaw amps in the Midwest or East coast? I recently purchased a used Outlaw 7500 that was dead on arrival. I have have static on 2 channels with nothing connected to the inputs. Shipping for 92lbs. from Michigan to L.A. and back is around $400, plus at least $250 to fix the amp. I don't know if it's worth an additional $650 ON TOP of what I paid. Would this money be better used buying the lesser 5000X?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Does anyone know of a place that repairs Outlaw amps in the Midwest or East coast? I recently purchased a used Outlaw 7500 that was dead on arrival. I have have static on 2 channels with nothing connected to the inputs. Shipping for 92lbs. from Michigan to L.A. and back is around $400, plus at least $250 to fix the amp. I don't know if it's worth an additional $650 ON TOP of what I paid. Would this money be better used buying the lesser 5000X?
I'm not sure about a repair shop but I can say that I recently picked up a local 5000 and it's make my my 5.1 system sing. Great amp if that's enough power for you

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just ordered a 7000x to complete my 7.1.4 system. My Pioneer VSX-LX503 will do 7.1.2 with internal amps, but will do 7.1.4 if you add an external amp. The issue with the way the Pioneer does this is that it requires you add an external amp for the back surrounds to get this mode working. It seemed ridiculous to me to buy a 2 channel amp to power just my rear surrounds, so of course I ended up spending hundreds more but plan on powering all 7 primary channels with the outlaw, and will let the Pioneer take the heights.

The Pioneer is rated at 120w with 2 channels driven (seems comparable to other receivers in the $900+ range). This seems to be how other receiver manufacturers rate their amps as well. Does anyone have an idea how this translates into multiple channels driven? The Outlaw says it can do 130w with all channels driven, which sounds like a lot more, but I guess that depends on how the receiver shares its power with the other channels. Does anyone coming from a receiver have any thoughts on whether or not the Outlaw will be much more powerful than the Pioneer with only 10 more watts per channel?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I just ordered a 7000x to complete my 7.1.4 system. My Pioneer VSX-LX503 will do 7.1.2 with internal amps, but will do 7.1.4 if you add an external amp. The issue with the way the Pioneer does this is that it requires you add an external amp for the back surrounds to get this mode working. It seemed ridiculous to me to buy a 2 channel amp to power just my rear surrounds, so of course I ended up spending hundreds more but plan on powering all 7 primary channels with the outlaw, and will let the Pioneer take the heights.

The Pioneer is rated at 120w with 2 channels driven (seems comparable to other receivers in the $900+ range). This seems to be how other receiver manufacturers rate their amps as well. Does anyone have an idea how this translates into multiple channels driven? The Outlaw says it can do 130w with all channels driven, which sounds like a lot more, but I guess that depends on how the receiver shares its power with the other channels. Does anyone coming from a receiver have any thoughts on whether or not the Outlaw will be much more powerful than the Pioneer with only 10 more watts per channel?
I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 in one of my systems and with it I power the front L&R channels with two Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblock amps and am very pleased with the result. The 2200s take the load off of the AVR for the front L&R and it is left with just the other Center, Surround, and Presence channels.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Look at it this way,

The power specs of the Pioneer receiver:

180 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 1ch Driven)

And the power specs of the 7000X:

130 watts RMS x 7 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.03% total harmonic distortion, A-weighted filter)
200 watts RMS x 7 into 4 ohms (from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.06% total harmonic distortion, A-weighted filter)

At 1 khz and 1% Total Harmonic Distortion(THD) the Pioneer can do 180 watts into 1 channel into 6ohms, the Outlaw will do 165 watts into 6ohms all 7 channels at THD 0.04 (roughly) which is much lower than 1% and thats 20hz to 20khz not just at 1khz like the pioneer.

The 7000X amplifier will give you not only more power but also cleaner power, one of the things I love with both my 7000X and Chane 753 towers is the effortless sound they produce, the speakers are large and are very dynamic and throw a huge soundstage and having good clean power for them makes them that much better. Since the day I added external amplifiers to my then owned Yamaha receiver I noticed a difference at every volume level, some may not but to each their own as most know about this hobby. When the amplifier gets into higher THD territory and loses control of the speaker that's when damage can happen and it sounds very bad. The 7000X is an excellent choice for an amp, great amp at a great price, congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
104 Posts
IDK I just feel it should be the responsibility of the business to cover shipping on warranties for products that are barely over a year old.

I had a separate issue with another company this year on a warranty issue and they covered the cost to ship it to their facility's for repair.

I understand that the business needs to make money but to ask the customer to cover the cost of shipping especially when said business can probably get the shipping at a much larger discount than the customer is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
IDK I just feel it should be the responsibility of the business to cover shipping on warranties for products that are barely over a year old.

I had a separate issue with another company this year on a warranty issue and they covered the cost to ship it to their facility's for repair.

I understand that the business needs to make money but to ask the customer to cover the cost of shipping especially when said business can probably get the shipping at a much larger discount than the customer is unacceptable.
Not sure where you're at but Outlaw's site shows shipping on a 5000 to my address as $65 and shipping from my address to a coast was quoting out at $95 or so back in Nov (I looked since I bought a 5000 locally and was curious if I needed warranty repair).

Depending on what the other product/company was your return shipping costs were baked into the cost of the product itself, similar to how SVS includes 'free shipping' both ways. It's all in the pricing structure.

Sorry for the long response here. I can understand the premise and am all for companies providing good service (Denon is currently dropping the ball with me on a pair of defective-out-of-the-box headphones...) but don't tend to agree when the only gripe is about a largely-standard practice. That said I've had to send some large items back for warranty work myself over the years and it does sting a bit in the wallet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Alright Outlaw owners...thinking about joining you. Here is what I will end up having:

Marantz 8802
JBL 4472n LCR
JBL 9300 x 4 surrounds
JBL SCS8 x atmos
PSA duals (model TBD...probably the new S2112 or TV2112)

I am leaning towards getting either one 7000x for the mains and surrounds and another 5000x for the atmos or just pony up for a second 7000x so I can have room to add a couple of speakers down the road if I choose.

I have been looking at a lot of other options including the Emotiva XPA-11 but leaning towards Outlaw. Those JBLs are super sensitive (104db) for the LCR, 94db for atmos and 96db for the surrounds. It seems to me driving everything with the outlaws would be very easy and relatively cost-efficient. From those of you who are in the know, I'd like to hear your opinion. This is my first go using separates so I am learning as I go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Alright Outlaw owners...thinking about joining you. Here is what I will end up having:

Marantz 8802
JBL 4472n LCR
JBL 9300 x 4 surrounds
JBL SCS8 x atmos

I am leaning towards getting either one 7000x for the mains and surrounds and another 5000x for the atmos or just pony up for a second 7000x so I can have room to add a couple of speakers down the road if I choose.

I have been looking at a lot of other options including the Emotiva XPA-11 but leaning towards Outlaw. Those JBLs are super sensitive (104db) for the LCR, 94db for atmos and 96db for the surrounds. It seems to me driving everything with the outlaws would be very easy and relatively cost-efficient. From those of you who are in the know, I'd like to hear your opinion. This is my first go using separates so I am learning as I go.

Thanks!

I may be slightly biased(haha) but two 7000X sounds good, for the little extra cost for two more channels for expansion i say why not, makes sense to me, the 7000X in my system is amazing.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Marantz 8802
JBL 4472n LCR
JBL 9300 x 4 surrounds
JBL SCS8 x atmos

Thanks!
I've got a 7000x, and it's a wonderful amp. I'm debating a 2nd or a 5000x for my own setup. Frugality will probably win out for me, and my back will appreciate the lower weight of the 5000x.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Marantz 7706, Outlaw 2200 *3 , Niles 2150 *1, Klipsch RP speakers
149 Posts
I am using 3*2200 for my LCR planning to get either a 5000x or 7000x to power my surround and atmos. My theater room has 15amp circuit with multiple outlets. Is anyone using a combination of multiple outlaw amps in a single circuit, any issues ? I know the amp draw will be high when they power on, if I delay the sequence that should help with in rush current. I don't crank the volume to ref levels. Do you think 3*2200 with either 5000x/7000x in same circuit would work?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am using 3*2200 for my LCR planning to get either a 5000x or 7000x to power my surround and atmos. My theater room has 15amp circuit with multiple outlets. Is anyone using a combination of multiple outlaw amps in a single circuit, any issues ? I know the amp draw will be high when they power on, if I delay the sequence that should help with in rush current. I don't crank the volume to ref levels. Do you think 3*2200 with either 5000x/7000x in same circuit would work?
I have multiple amps and subs on the same 15 amp circuit and Alsace never tripped it

981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts