AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you seen this, but if not good. Looks like everyone is getting into the sub game.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/su...pective_lg.jpg

http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/sub_bottom_lg.jpg

http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/sub_back_lg.jpg

Model LFM-1 Specifications

Driver Type: Down Firing, 12" Long-throw Woofer

Ports: Dual

Amplifier Power Rating: 325WRMS; 1300W peak

Frequency Response: 25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB

Crossover Type: Linkwitz-Reilly 4th Order Low Pass Network

Crossover Frequency: 40Hz to 180Hz and Bypass

Phase: 0 to 180 Degrees

SPL: 115dB (subject to placement and room gain)

Dimensions: (HxWxD) 21.75†x 15.0†x 22.0â€

Weight: 58 lbs

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I love this hobby it's always something new coming out for us to talk about. Keeps it fresh. :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've read it's supposed to be an HSU STF-2 clone..

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mendes9
I've read it's supposed to be an HSU STF-2 clone..
STF-3 is the 12" I believe. I'd pay Hsu the extra $20 and get their 7 year warranty over Outlaws 3 years. Anybody figure out how the Outlaw version is 20 lbs. lighter?

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is no variable tune on this model.

The weight is given pre-ship.

Dr. Hsu did help design, but Outlaw had major input too (whereas with STF series, Hsu had 100% of the input).

Two LFM-1s are going now for a special of $999. That is amazing. Quad ports, 650 watts, two 12 inch drivers. A DIYer would be hard-pressed to very significantly top that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markotran
Two LFM-1s are going now for a special of $999. That is amazing. Quad ports, 650 watts, two 12 inch drivers. A DIYer would be hard-pressed to very significantly top that.
I wouldn't go that far...the DIY'er doesn't have to worry about size restrictions. When you don't care about size(like I didnt' when I built mine) it's not difficult.

Regardless, it still seems like it would be a good deal, I really would be intereted in knowing how similar it is to the VTF-3 though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
sorry I meant a DIYer looking to have a reasonably good finished and similarly sized box/es as a sub system. There is no doubt that any commercial vendor would be very hard pressed to offer as much at that price.

it is tough to say exactly how siimlar to STF-3 it would be. Dr. Hsu had the final decision on everything in the STF/VTF line, whereas with Outlaw he helped design it but did not make all the design decision himself.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Outlaw doesn't have a track record on speakers. They have an *excellent* track record on electronics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they supplied the overall design target and electronics, and Dr. Hsu did much of the enclosure and driver specs.

From what I understand, it is most definitely not a clone of any existing product.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The only real difference I could find is that the Hsu uses a 6th order crossover and the Outlaw a 4th order. What is the function of a cross-over in a sub? Is it used at all if you use LFE input?

Since the STF series and Outlaw arrived on the market at the same time technically it isn't a clone of an "existing" product. A twin maybe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Difference:

crossover LFM-1 40~180hz higher for satellite

STF-3 30~90hz lower for very hi-end floor

Port position LFM-1 Down port easier to hide the sub

STF-3 Upper Back Can't cover with table cloth

Spike LFM-1 Metal spike with metal disc for hardwood floor

STF-3 Plastic spike recommend rug for hardwood

Enclosure LFM-1 plyglass top

STF-3 Vinyl top

Power swith LFM-1 independent beside auto-on/off (save you 5w)

STF-3 auto-on/off

Line input LFM-1 LFE single

STF-3 stereo dual

Warranty LFM-1 3y electronic, 3y driver

STF-3 2y electronic, 7y driver

price LFM-1 $579+64 shipping

STF-3 $599+50 shipping

promotion: LFM-1 give away $79 sub cable, STF-3 waive shipping cost.

special event: 1st batch of STF-3 is tuned @20hz by mistake, so LFM-1 gets louder and STF-3 gets lower.

If you want to toggle between louder and lower, plain VTF-3 is on sale for $699+free shipping now. (VTF-3 is spec for 350w/rms and +/-1db @20hz, I suspect it uses an ultra driver to achieve it.)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Power swith LFM-1 independent beside auto-on/off (save you 5w)

STF-3 auto-on/off

I think the STF has the same switch...just the wording is different.

Port position LFM-1 Down port easier to hide the sub

STF-3 Upper Back Can't cover with table cloth

This one is interesting too, since Hsu recommends 3" for breathing. I wonder how that affects the LFM-1....it is not 3" off the floor.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
diamond nice job. thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.