AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the LFM-2 and expect delivery tomorrow. I'll post my impressions once I fire it up. I was thinking of going bigger, but this is going in a family room and the WAF was critical. I'm looking at this project as to how to make the best compromise between sound quality and how the room looks.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Don't give much weight your immediate impression of the sound for any subwoofer. You'll need to calibrate the level and find an acoustically good spot for it first. But I'm anxious to hear your first impression of everything else about it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initial impressions (after
  • First off, very fast delivery, ordered Monday and had it Thursday using standard shipping.
  • Excellent packing. I watched the UPS guy literally throw the box onto my porch from chest level. Double boxed, sub enclosed in a black pillow case like cloth material. Smoked plexi-glass insert protected by stick on protective material.

Build quality is very high and it is nice looking. More subdued than a piano black finish, but the plexi-glass insert really grabs the light, reflects and screams high-end! I think this is a great compromise between boring/cheap looking plasticy finishes and a piano black. Nice rounded corners, etc.
  • I used a couple CD's and by ear dialed in the volume, I'll calibrate it for real later. I spent the entire time listening to music. I was really interested in how well it would mesh with a pair of Athena Technologies WS-60 speakers, that straddle a 42" plasma. These are wall mounted low-profile L/C/R plasma speakers (looks like they copied the design from the Definitive Mythos speakers, or perhaps the other way around). I am very impressed so far with the WS-60's for the price ($200 each retail) and they have an aluminum body and look pretty cool. They are spec'd to go down to 60 Hz and based on my ear, this seems pretty accurate (3 dB point is somewhere in the 60Hz range, 100Hz up and the sound is flat). Anyway, I am very pleased with how well this sub matches the WS-60's. I am very impressed with the subs overall frequency reproduction when listening to music. I didn't realize what I've been missing in the past. It just seem very accurate, no over bearing or under bearing ranges. I am just extremely pleased with the combination of this sub and WS-60's. My wife had to yell at me to turn it off at midnight.

Next step is do some breaking in and calibration and see what kind of air it can move on some movies. I don't expect it to rattle the room, but think I will be pleased.

More to come, later...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How big is your room?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Foos-man, I really like the Athena WS 60's, they look awesome. Where do you have them crossed over?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocer
Foos-man, I really like the Athena WS 60's, they look awesome. Where do you have them crossed over?
I played around with the sub crossover, but believe I ended up bypassing the crossover and letting the receiver handle it. My receiver only has 1 cross-over setting which I believe is at 60Hz. I've been travelling, so haven't had time to play with it lately. I was real surprised that the WS-60's produce usable sound down to 60Hz...much better than the standard small satellite speaker systems out there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
How big is your room?
15x20 with an adjoining breakfast area that is another 10x10 or so and 10ft ceilings.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Foos-Man, check this out: just this afternoon I was at Best Buy looking at Athena WS-60s. Tonight I do a search for "LFM-2" and find this thread. And my listening room is almost the same size, including adjoining breakfast area.

Weird. Anyway, the WS-60s sounded pretty bad in Best Buy, but their setup is atrocious. I think I'll take a chance in-home. My receiver will only let me cross over at 100Hz; I hope that will do.

Do you have surrounds? The WS-15? Anything to add after having lived w/ this setup for awhile?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.