AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seven M-200 Outlaw mono blocks. Just wondering how they stack up to the offerings from Emotiva? They have a 250w 2 channel and a 200w 3 channel. Would really love the big mono block, but can't swing the bucks.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/17001027

I have seven M-200 Outlaw mono blocks. Just wondering how they stack up to the offerings from Emotiva? They have a 250w 2 channel and a 200w 3 channel. Would really love the big mono block, but can't swing the bucks.

Thanks,

I should tell you up front I'm not one of those people who believe that different amps have magic pixie fairy dust that makes their 200 wpc better than someone else's 200 wpc.

So I don't think you are going to gain anything from going with the Emo amps, if you already have perfectly decent 200 watt monoblocks.

Emo makes a fine product, but they aren't going to get you anything you don't already have.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
Comparing your mono-blocks to the XPA-2 - your amp puts out 200 watts into 8 ohm - 300 watts into 4 ohm. The XPA-2 has 250 watts into 8 ohms and doubles the power into 4 ohms - 500 watts - an indication of being a bit more stout in the power supply department.

I doubt you'd notice any difference between them in real world use.

Enjoy the Outlaws - great amps at a great price.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,

What speakers are you using?

·
Registered
957 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,

7, M200 monoblocks? The Emotiva's will have nothing on you.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner /forum/post/17010108

7, M200 monoblocks? The Emotiva's will have nothing on you.

And you base this statement on?

The M200's only increase their output by 50% into 4 ohms. An XPA-5 increases 75% to 350 wpc and the XPA-2 doubles it's output matching the theoretical maximum. That doesn't sound like the Outlaws are inherently superior to me.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/17010229

And you base this statement on?

The M200's only increase their output by 50% into 4 ohms. An XPA-5 increases 75% to 350 wpc and the XPA-2 doubles it's output matching the theoretical maximum. That doesn't sound like the Outlaws are inherently superior to me.

Don't know about the M200's (older model?), but I have the 2000's, and I seriously doubt I am truly getting 300 watts into 4ohms. I say this because I have 4ohm speakers that have a 300w handling, and I get clipping when I push them too hard.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/17011005

Don't know about the M200's (older model?), but I have the 2000's, and I seriously doubt I am truly getting 300 watts into 4ohms. I say this because I have 4ohm speakers that have a 300w handling, and I get clipping when I push them too hard.

Clipping has nothing to do with the power rating on speakers. Speakers can take well in excess of their "rating" and amps deliver well in excess of their rating for brief periods of time.

All the power rating on speakers means is that if power in excess of that rating into the speakers for an "extended" period of time, you will cause damage to the speakers. Either burn out some part of the crossover network or damage the voice coil(s) on some of the drivers (due heat beyond what they are designed to dissipate).

I tend to bring up the 8ohm/4ohm output increase, because I find it's a good yardstick for the "robustness" of the amplifier. An ideal amp would double it's output every time you halve the resistance, in accordance with Ohms law Power = Volts(squared)/Resistance. Few amps can actually do this going from 8 to 4 ohms. Very, very few will do it going from 4 to 2 ohms and fewer still will drive a 2 ohm load stably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.