Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm a newbee here, from Europe, in relation to upgrading my modest home studio to surround etc.

I kinda fell for the new Outlaw 990 product, and I just had talk with them about that.

I was really astonished to hear that they don't have any distributors anywhere in the world! Their web shop (The Only selling option for Outlaw products) is only available to people in the US, Canada and Mexico. (I'm amazed that no reviews or announces etc. around the worldwide web mention this at all - in my eyes this is a major company weakness.)

My question:

Although this news seriously hurts my initial impression of Outlaw as a professional provider, I still wonder if any of you guys resides in Europe and / or have suggestions / ideas about how to purchase an Outlaw product over here?

Thanks.

Willy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Willy:

Perhaps it may be that their wish to be exactly what you say -- a professional provider -- is what keeps the Outlaws out of Europe, at least for now. They are well known here for service and support of their products, but to provide that across all the countries, languages and (even with EU harmonization) regualtions in each country might be stopping them from going to Europe due to costs involved in "doing it right".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, most of the truly professional companies have both business relations and distributors; in the case of Outlaw they should have some of those at least within the US, if not in a few of the continents that we have...

Inability to provide customer service outside only a small part of the NA speaks for itself in regards to their professional capabilities. No offense...

So I find it pretty hard to buy your explanation you see. Moreover, Outlaw should at least have informed the worldwide community about this severe limitation (a simple note on their web will do). This would have been a decent add-on to raising their professional image even though it does not solve any problems.

But ... thanks for your reply anyway.

Cheers,

Willy

·
Registered
385 Posts
I believe outlaw used to have an outlet in Europe (in Denmark maybe), but obviously that is no longer the case. You could have somebody you trust in America take delivery and then ship it to you.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What about the power issue? Does the 990 have transformer capable of handling 220/50Hz ?

Ever think to ask, Willy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I'm aware of the power issue but I had no chance of discussing this with Outlaw (since they simply stated that I cannot buy the stuff from them).

I thought that it's solvable anyway; it should be possible to find some power converter, I guess (yet additional cost).

I'm beginning to wonder if 990 deserves all the trouble after all...

What do you think?

BR

Willy

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I don't know what's available to you in Europe to which to compare it. Or what your needs are.

Is the Sherwood P-965 available? At what price?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too remember Outlaw experimenting with a European distributor in the early days. Apparently it didn't work well for them because among other things, it weakened their "value proposition" to the consumer. Adding in extra costs and mark-ups associated with a distributor, tended to raise the final selling price to a level where the end user was not saving enough on the purchase. Rather than attempt to sell a few pieces here and there they opted to end the experiment and keep their approach straightforward. I don't think anyone could blame them for this decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading some of the most recent threads & reviews around the globe, I'm actually beginning to think that maybe a Denon AVR-4806 or Yamaha RX-V4600 would be a decent alternative, although I only need a Pre/Pro (but I cannot afford any of the real gears like Theta, Parasound, Linn etc.)

Does it makes sense to you?

RX-V4600 seems real Ok but there's no much word about it yet around (it was just released in July, I think).

I'll check the Sherwood anyway, but I'm afraid they are not present in Europe too.

Thanks for your time DMF :D

Take care,

Willy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGUY
... Adding in extra costs and mark-ups associated with a distributor, tended to raise the final selling price to a level where the end user was not saving enough on the purchase.
Hi CEGUY, and thanks for participating.

I wonder how most of the companies manage to overcome the great business opportunity of having a demand "problem". Just imagine the market potential if 990 really holds what it's allegedly good for...

The Outlaw's own webshop should not have any problem to ship anywhere in the world WITHOUT any distributor in between at any price Outlaw may like. All they need is a few more people to handle the increased customer mass (and I can promise you that the margins won't suffer because of that). Especially if the product is stable & does not require a lot of support, which I suppose is the case (?) Actually, it's a lot more profitable to have 10 people handling 5.000.000 customers than 1 person servicing 100.000 customers. You get the point...

The "distributor" talk in this case was about finding a workaround thru someone doing business with Europe since Outlaw have chosen not to.

You know, just ask yourself how many of the companies comparable to Outlaw do their business the "Outlaw way". I personally don't recall any.

Bottom line:

It's important that people outside NA know that the Outlaw products are NOT available for them before they waste a lot of time on investigating their features etc. This is partially the reason for me starting this thread.

Now, I'd really like to put all this Outlaw stuff behind me and I thank you all for your comments in defense of Outlaw. I understand that many of the people here do own some Outlaw product and mostly are Americans. Naturally, I did not mean to offend any of you.

Good night everybody...

Willy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.