AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the Outlaw RR2150. I primarily listen to FLAC off my PC. I am running a USB from the computer to the Outlaw DAC. I like the sound very much but I am considering adding an external DAC.

Would adding an external DAC like these offer any significant improvement?

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic

Musical Fidelity V-DAC

HRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Converter

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
It might add something - but nowhere near the significant change of getting the digital out of the computer in the first place.

What speakers are you using? What sub? Upgrading these is more likely to give sonic benefit than adding a DAC.

Even though you like how it sounds, I understand always wanting to upgrade
So if you have money to burn and love your speakers too much to consider upgrading them, then go for it.

I have a Beresford Caiman in my PC setup and love it, so add it to your list

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/19536827

I am running USB (digital) to the DAC in the Outlaw. I am considering adding a DAC to replace the DAC in the Outlaw. I am wondering if another DAC would offer a great improvement?

It might, it might not, depending how good the DAC is in the 2150.

In my opinion it might not be worth it in that price range. I have heard the Cambride DacMagic and a few other in the $300-$400 range and was not that impressed compared to some in the $600-$700. Well that is obvious. My opinion might not even matter since I have never heard the 2150.

I would try to find a used DacMagic and see for yourself. If anything just sell it for the same price you bought it for.

EDIT: What speakers are you driving with the 2150? Do you run a sub? If so how does the bass management work out for you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts