AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Outlaw VS SVS

3580 Views 38 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  beowulf7
I really hate to bother this esteemed forum again, but someone just sent me PM message that It would be better to get 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers then one SVS PB12-Plus/2.

I am getting so confused. This is worse then when I was deciding what HDTV to buy. Everyones specs look good.

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
i'll give you one guess who that is ...



outlaw specs
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html


25 and 18hz tuning as well


hmm


maybe someone who've heard both will comment


the SVS has a smaller footprint (when not stacked) 532 sq. in. vs. 660 sq. in.


when choosing between two "good" units, what always helps me decide is making a pro and con chart of the units in consideration and see which has more pros whose cons you can live with. the pros and cons are dependent on you, for example, footprint size is a pro for me, but may not be for you if you have the space or have two "smaller" spaces.
See less See more
The current pb12+/2 is an impressive unit.


Quote from TV
Quote:
The current PB12plus/2 and the old PB12ultra/2 are very similar in overall performance capabilities

That's an impressive statement coming from the manufacturer.


Look close at the spec's and decide.


I like dual subs for even room response and even more if you plan on stereo bass but bank on an SMS-1 or equivalent to get them working well together.


Mmmm, dual pb12+'s...........





kw........
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 /forum/post/0


I really hate to bother this esteemed forum again, but someone just sent me PM message that It would be better to get 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers then one SVS PB120Plus/2.

that's funny...i just got a PM message too, and all it said was:


Kind Regards
How big is your room? 1 Ultra was really enough for my room. 2 made the "ass-end" effortless as well as evening the response through the whole room. Having twins did bring some phase issues into play, though. Since I have had 2, I can honestly say I wouldn't give up the second Ultra for anything. Outlaw makes a fine product as well, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Contact SVS and Outlaw for that matter, I am sure both will give you good honest advice
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star /forum/post/0


that's funny...i just got a PM message too, and all it said was:


Kind Regards





Seriously though with the current price the Outlaws have an edge on price/performance IMO
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingndrooling /forum/post/0


How big is your room? 1 Ultra was really enough for my room. 2 made the "ass-end" effortless as well as evening the response through the whole room. Having twins did bring some phase issues into play, though. Since I have had 2, I can honestly say I wouldn't give up the second Ultra for anything. Outlaw makes a fine product as well, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Contact SVS and Outlaw for that matter, I am sure both will give you good honest advice

My room is a family room / kitchen combination thats 20' X 30' with an average ceiling height of 10' (about 6000 cubic feet). I was thinking that if I got the 2 outlaws I could put one in the corner and one between the couch (wife's seat) and my recliner which would put them about 14' away from each other. If I go with the SVS I would probably put it in the corner because it seems a little high to serve as a coffee table between the couch and the recliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/0





Seriously though with the current price the Outlaws have an edge on price/performance IMO

Yeah man that sub does look good as far as price and performance.

This will be my first sub purchase, I have RF-7's for mains and rcw5's in-wall's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 /forum/post/0


My room is a family room / kitchen combination thats 20' X 30' with an average ceiling height of 10' (about 6000 cubic feet). I was thinking that if I got the 2 outlaws I could put one in the corner and one between the couch (wife's seat) and my recliner which would put them about 14' away from each other. If I go with the SVS I would probably put it in the corner because it seems a little high to serve as a coffee table between the couch and the recliner.

svs has a pb12+/2 in piano black in b stock if that helps.
https://svsound.com/store/index.cfm?...category_ID=12
That's a lot of room. If you want to get close to reference level bass dual pb12+/2's are a minimum, IMO.


If you go with dual subs I'd also want to get an SMS-1 or the upcoming SVS audyssey.


FYI, the PB12+/2 is a good height for a coffee table for me. My couches are a little low. Here's a pic http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_...&image_id=3358


kw.........
I like dual Outlaw LFM-1 Plus's @ $499 on sale. Two of them should be enough for your room.


All the Best


If you want to spend a lot more, I recommend dual Velodyne DD-18s in Maple. I would much rather had 2 Velodyne DD-18s than a pair of SVS PB12+2s and an SVS audyssey.
There are several other configurations I can suggest that will blow you away for about $1,400. 120+ db at the listening postion.


All the Best
According to their respective companies specs 2 outlaws(co-located) would still not equal 1 Pb12/plus/2 in max spl alone. You do have a really big area to fill. You can probably get away with 2 outlaws or 1 PB/12/plus/2 if you place them nearfield.


Spyboy stating that you would rather have 2 dd-18's than 2 svs pb12/plus/2 is an understatement, me too, and probably the rest of us, BUT, they are not even close in price ranges so if someone is looking at the Velo because they can afford 2 would not even consider the SVS. If they wanted to save money then vice versa. The OP is interested in mostly HT so Many subs would fit the bill. BTW OP what is that Bill? How much are you looking to spend?
I'm debating SVS cylinder sub vs. Outlaw LFM-1 + vs. HSU VTF 3.3. But I'd only want 1 sub. So it comes down to how much I want to pay and what I think is the best boom for the buck. : \\
I just bought the PB-12/ plus 2. I can't believe their customer support. I have sent many e mails to Ed Mullen at SVS and he has answered everyone. Here is a clip frorm the last one:


"Your questions are never a problem - customer service before and after

the sale are a top priority for SVS; we want you to be 100% comfortable

with all aspects of the sales process"


I sent Outlaws an e mail last thursday and still haven't got a response.


Customer support is paramount to me. SVS is the Best!!!!!
See less See more
Ed is a standup guy, and SVS is lucky to have hime. Congrats on your new subwoofer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 /forum/post/0


I'm debating SVS cylinder sub vs. Outlaw LFM-1 + vs. HSU VTF 3.3. But I'd only want 1 sub. So it comes down to how much I want to pay and what I think is the best boom for the buck. : \\

Hi


I have an SVS 20-39PCi that was B-Stock, that I got for $5**


I also have a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs plus Turbos. I like the B-Stock 20-39PCi. It is easy to move from room to room. The '3HO + Turbo is in another class.

I think that for $499 the LFM-1 Plus is the best boom for the buck.


All the Best
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/0


There are several other configurations I can suggest that will blow you away for about $1,400. 120+ db at the listening postion.


All the Best

120+ dB at listening position,depends how far you are sitting from the sub,the room,the loading and the frequency. Try 120dB @ 16Hz sitting 6meters from the sub.
With your solution.Not gonna happen.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 /forum/post/0


I just bought the PB-12/ plus 2. I can't believe their customer support. I have sent many e mails to Ed Mullen at SVS and he has answered everyone. Here is a clip frorm the last one:


"Your questions are never a problem - customer service before and after

the sale are a top priority for SVS; we want you to be 100% comfortable

with all aspects of the sales process"


I sent Outlaws an e mail last thursday and still haven't got a response.


Customer support is paramount to me. SVS is the Best!!!!!


halsan40,


Good luck with your PB-12 subwoofer. I am sorry that we lost out on this one. I did, however, want to comment one thing:


From last Wednesday until today, the entire sales and customer service staff has been in New York, setting up and participating in the Home Entertainment Show. We had a message on our phone system letting everyone know we were gone.

On our web site and in a newslettter we wrote:
As is our annual tradition, the Outlaws will decamp from the Hideout and travel down to the annual Home Entertainment Show next weekend at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City. Peter and Scott will be among the many Outlaws in attendance and we all look forward to meeting you there. If you are anywhere near Manhattan from Friday, May 11th through Sunday, May 13th, we encourage you to join us at the HES. "




That is why you did not hear from us. We are sorry for this communication gap during the show but we did let many know that we would be gone.


Best Regards,


Peter Tribeman,


Outlaw Audio
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/0


120+ dB at listening position,depends how far you are sitting from the sub,the room,the loading and the frequency. Try 120dB @ 16Hz sitting 6meters from the sub.
With your solution.Not gonna happen.

Hi Ear


I am not talking about 120+db at 16Hz. I am talking about 120+db between 50-80Hz. If I have time I can quote a review of how amazing 120+db at the listening position is.


Kind Regards
See less See more
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top