AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basement was wired with outlets every 8 feet. They used metal boxes and conduit throughout. I wanted to finish my basement and build a dedicated Home Theater. I used 4" thick pink insulation glued to the brick wall, then built 2x4 stud walls on 3 of the basement walls and probably 2x6 on the last side wall (due to the pvc pipe and tub, toilet drain line) I believe they used 4" ran down the side wall. I'm not sure a 2x4 will be wide enough, if not I'll have to use 2x6's.
The problem is the outlets were almost flush when I installed the 4" pink insulation, now that I added 2x4's frame and basement insulation the outlets are about 4" behind where my drywall will be installed. Does anyone make an "Outlet Extension"? I doubt they left 4" or more of wire inside the current metal boxes. Or a counter sunk outlet? I found outlet boxes which allow you to move your outlet about 2" but that wont do much.
Am I S.O.L? if so, any other possible solutions?

4" extension cables would work great, just add the faceplate and plug them in. Don't think its that easy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, I was hoping there was a different option. O well, no biggie.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My basement was wired with outlets every 8 feet. They used metal boxes and conduit throughout. I wanted to finish my basement and build a dedicated Home Theater. I used 4" thick pink insulation glued to the brick wall, then built 2x4 stud walls on 3 of the basement walls and probably 2x6 on the last side wall (due to the pvc pipe and tub, toilet drain line) I believe they used 4" ran down the side wall. I'm not sure a 2x4 will be wide enough, if not I'll have to use 2x6's.
The problem is the outlets were almost flush when I installed the 4" pink insulation, now that I added 2x4's frame and basement insulation the outlets are about 4" behind where my drywall will be installed. Does anyone make an "Outlet Extension"? I doubt they left 4" or more of wire inside the current metal boxes. Or a counter sunk outlet? I found outlet boxes which allow you to move your outlet about 2" but that wont do much.
Am I S.O.L? if so, any other possible solutions?

4" extension cables would work great, just add the faceplate and plug them in. Don't think its that easy :rolleyes:
See if you have a local electrical wholesaler in your area. You will get more options with them instead of HD/Lowes etc. Tell them you are looking for electrical box " extension rings" for your plugs/ switches. If you have an electrician buddy, see if he can pull off the cover plate/ plug out and see what you have for wire length. If they are all short you may need to extend your wires with marrettes/ wire nuts then re attach to your plugs and switches. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if you have a local electrical wholesaler in your area. You will get more options with them instead of HD/Lowes etc. Tell them you are looking for electrical box " extension rings" for your plugs/ switches. If you have an electrician buddy, see if he can pull off the cover plate/ plug out and see what you have for wire length. If they are all short you may need to extend your wires with marrettes/ wire nuts then re attach to your plugs and switches. Hope this helps.

I'll look into that. Unfortunately I did remove one of the faceplates and there is NO way its long enough to extend another 4". I wasn't sure if I was allowed to use wire nuts to extend the outlet. Granted, its a township and there isn't really any code. I still prefer to be SAFE especially with electrical. I'll look into those options.

Secondary Question: I have NO extra space in my circuit panel to add extra outlets for my amplifiers. I was planning on adding a Subpanel directly beneath the upstairs panel. Its 200amp service. My friend said I could use the 20 amp circuit and run that to power my Subpanel. I would lose the outlets on that circuit unless I run them to another 20 amp circuit inside my Subpanel. I need to at least 3 outlets with 20 amp circuits and a few canned lights and switch with a 15 amp circuit. I purchased a 6 circuit Subpanel.

I have ran and replaced wire to outlets and added circuits in the past but never installed a Subpanel. What I am confused about is "How does running my Subpanel off a single 20 amp circuit from my Main circuit box allow me to add 3 20 amp circuits and 15 amp circuit? That makes NO logical sense to me. The 20 amp circuits are for my amplifiers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
There might be some confusion there. Having a 200 amp main panel is a bonus for one. You need to see what amp rating this sub panel is you aquired ( Sounds like it is a small hot tub sub panel) If it were myself? I would be coming off your 200 amp and feeding a 60 amp sub panel ( fed with a 60 amp breaker inside your 200 amp) This would allow you three- 20 amp breakers in the sub panel and some extra head room. Option 2- you can install " mini breakers". These are double breakers that take the place of one single size breaker. Caveat**** Before doing anything, make sure you have an electrician ( licensed) do a load calculation on your 200 amp panel. You want to make sure your main panel can accomodate the extra circuits ( sub panel/ mini breakers) You may have some extra headroom or you may be at capacity if you have 3 stoves/ 2 dryers/ 2 cooktops etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice. I'll check the circuit panel this weekend when I'm back home. I only recall a couple double circuits used for the Well, & Water Conditioner. The Subpanel box was purchased from Home Depot similar to this model http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...oad-Center-with-Cover-HOM612L100SCP/100190554 I recall it had 6 open and 100amp. Putting a 60amp breaker in the main box then running three 20 amps circuits makes sense to me.

I'll be sure to post a photo before I proceed. I don't have any problems adding the outlets and running the wire to the subpanel. I can have an electrician run power from the Main to the Subpanel. I just wanted to make sure I do it correctly so I am not paying him labor to run extra wire. Once the wires are run I can finish covering with drywall.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
first while your panel may be full are there full height breakers that can be replaced with 1/2 height breakers? if so you can a add two 20 amp circuits where there is currently just one.
I was able to check inside the box. Its full. I double double breaker in almost every slot. The home is a Manufactured home but a basement was added later. The top left breakers are both 20 amp being used for Basement Outlets. Just below that is a dual 20amp (full size) for the Well/pump. On the top right side I also have 2 20amp, one is for basement lights the other 20amp is for the sump pump. I have a dual 60amp below that is NOT labeled. I turned it off assuming it was for the garage but it wasnt. It may be for the Water Conditioner. All the other circuits are for appliances and rooms throughout the home.

I hope you can see the picture well. Do I have any options? Could I use one the 20amp circuits for the basement outlets with a 60amp breaker and use that to power 3 outlets?

*** I purchased a Square D sub panel. 6 spaces 12 circuits***

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Might be time to call a pro in with that panel, even if its just for a consultation for what you can or cannot do, that panel looks small for a 200 amp service, so it may be able to be extended with a sub panel or just replaced with a larger one.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, That will be a challenge. Last time it took 4 months to find a Plumber to come to the house. I actually ended up fixing it myself. I guess they don't visit my area of the corn field. Normal price is $100 just to show up, then bill by the hour. Be interesting to see how much a sub panel install will cost. (probably cheaper than replacing the panel with a new one. Keep in mind this was a modular home, the basement was added later. I'm sure they replaced as many single pole circuits with doubles as they could.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might be time to call a pro in with that panel, even if its just for a consultation for what you can or cannot do, that panel looks small for a 200 amp service, so it may be able to be extended with a sub panel or just replaced with a larger one.

I just noticed have 3 outlets located in the ceiling of my theater room which will NOT be used. I have a Westinghouse circuit panel which has a single 20amp circuit for my basement lights. Located just below is another 20amp circuit used for the Sump Pump. Both are single pole circuits.

**Question** I can replace the single pole 20amp basement lights circuit with a 30amp (not sure if that would help) or a single pole 60amp?
OR
Can I replace both 20amp circuits with a 60amp dual circuit? If so, there is NO need for a subpanel.

Having a difficult time locating Westinghouse Circuits (only source seems to be online). Are they compatible with other brands?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd go with the suggestion of replacing the entire panel with a larger, SquareD panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts