AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any replies...Well, I have 2 nice, big digital frames that I would like to add to my family room, main tv viewing area. I was planning on hanging them on a wall flush using their keyhole mounts and a leviton recessed outlet. The problem is that both frames have power adapters to convert ac to dc power and the power bricks are way to big to fit into the recessed outlet.

I have been scowering the internet looking for an outlet box/cabling solution that would fit my needs, but have yet to find anything. One of the frames has the power adapter in the middle of the cord, and the other has the power adapter on the insertion prongs. I of course would like to remain within building code standard, so running the power adapter on the inside of the wall is not an option. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
What does the power plug on the frame look like? A typical round DC connector? Regardless, you should be able to find a replacement AC/DC converter that is small enough to fit in the recessed outlet. Just match the connector polarity, voltage and current ratings...

Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/20902132

What does the power plug on the frame look like? A typical round DC connector? Regardless, you should be able to find a replacement AC/DC converter that is small enough to fit in the recessed outlet. Just match the connector polarity, voltage and current ratings...

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. well the one frame with the adapter in the middle of the cord is a rectangular brick shape and the other is a smaller brick shape that has the prongs attached. Yes I did try to do as you suggested. one of the frames had an output of 12v and I tried to find a universal wall wart/power adapter but I cannot find one that is small enough to fit inside the recessed outlet. Could you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My first thought was for you to use one of those recessed boxes that they install behind washing machines for the plumbing. Then, when I was looking for a link to that thing I found this thing . That particular gizmo is a 4-gang recessed box. My vote is for the recessed plumbing thing.

Maybe check the tile section at your local HD/Lowes and see if there's a recessed shower shelf?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,564 Posts
I would cut into the wall and insert a double or triple old work box. Connect everything up and stuff it in the box. It doesn't need to be pretty. Hide the mess with the digital picture frame.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am going to be doing the same, but in the meantime, here is what I did for my dartboard....

I added a low voltage ring that attaches to side of 120v box and ran smurftube to lv box behind dartboard. Pretty easy.

Robert

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
How large are the frames?

Arlington has some multigang recessed boxes that are pretty big.

You could install a 12" x 12" low voltage recessed enclosure behind each frame, with enough room to fit a dozen adapter bricks. The LV enclosure contains a knockout for a 110v outlet.

The TV mount manufacturers (Sanus, Peerless, Chief, etc) offer recessed wall boxes that also contain 110v outlet knockouts.

Outlet knockouts (2) at the bottom of that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.