AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my HD-A1 but my player gets far more work from SD-DVD's than from HD-DVD's! I am beginning to have sincere doubts about the general public's wide scale acceptance of either high definition DVD format. I hope I am wrong.


Question? - Will there come a point in time when I can go down to my favorite store on Tuesday morning for the latest releases and have a choice of SD-DVD, HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD?


You will have noticed that I did not mention the web market. While internet sales are important, as a retired professional logistician I prefer to look at what is readily available on the street because store front sales still ultimately determine the success or failure of consumer products.


Oh, I am a survivor of the VHS/Beta Max wars. In fact, back in the day, the wife and I proudly owned a top of the line $1200 Mitshibushi VHS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/0


I love my HD-A1 but my player gets far more work from SD-DVD's than from HD-DVD's! I am beginning to have sincere doubts about the general public's wide scale acceptance of either high definition DVD format. I hope I am wrong.


Question? - Will there come a point in time when I can go down to my favorite store on Tuesday morning for the latest releases and have a choice of SD-DVD, HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD?


You will have noticed that I did not mention the web market. While internet sales are important, as a retired professional logistician I prefer to look at what is readily available on the street because store front sales still ultimately determine the success or failure of consumer products.


Oh, I am a survivor of the VHS/Beta Max wars. In fact, back in the day, the wife and I proudly owned a top of the line $1200 Mitshibushi VHS!

IMO if YOU are happy with the movie content, then don't worry about it. Personally I still have reservations about either format taking off at a mass level, or for very long if it does indeed take off...HVD is just too revolutionary.


Then again it's all guesswork and everyone's opinion is worth the same, which is to say all our opinions are pure conjecture and worth nothing hehe. Just enjoy your content, I know I sure am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
With all these releases coming out, the size of your library is up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0


With all these releases coming out, the size of your library is up to you.


I must be living under a rock because I have to ask you to expound on your comment "all these releases"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
It was slow for quite a long time but they are still ramping things up. The A2 is a nice upconverting player so if HD-DVD tanks you still have a very nice player for SD content. I passed on alot of titles due to price, I'm hoping as time goes on I'll add alot thru used sales and discounts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,900 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/0


I must be living under a rock because I have to ask you to expound on your comment "all these releases"?

Either you :


1) have too much money and are buying everything that comes out and it still is not enough

2) your taste is in the "pop-corn new release only will do" population

3) are trolling


I have bought over 30 HD DVDs since the beginning of the year and I have over 20 more on order, and another 15 or so to order, and all that will only take me all the way to mid-august... In fact, I have so many HD DVDs left to watch at home that I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to be able to catch up on my viewing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
I think the OP meant same day and date releases and not new catalog releases on HD DVD.


As for the HDV being revolutionary...until I read this particular area of AVS, I'd never heard of it and still don't know what it really is....far from revolutionary...at least now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance /forum/post/0


Either you :


1) have too much money and are buying everything that comes out and it still is not enough

2) your taste is in the "pop-corn new release only will do" population

3) are trolling


I have bought over 30 HD DVDs since the beginning of the year and I have over 20 more on order, and another 15 or so to order, and all that will only take me all the way to mid-august... In fact, I have so many HD DVDs left to watch at home that I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to be able to catch up on my viewing...

And how did you know that I like popcorn so much? Extra butter for me please! Hey, go ahead and add a large Coke and Hot Dog to my order.


Don't release the hounds just yet Masseur Eurotrance! You have read far too much into my comments.


I do acknowledge that many existing titles are being converted to HD but as evidenced by a trip to any retail store HD titles make up only a small percentage of the in-stock DVD's. On the positive side, because Toshiba did such a great job with the upscaling feature I really do not find it necessary to replace my substantial standard DVD collection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/0


I think the OP meant same day and date releases and not new catalog releases on HD DVD.


As for the HDV being revolutionary...until I read this particular area of AVS, I'd never heard of it and still don't know what it really is....far from revolutionary...at least now.

I'd heard of it, and I'm still on the fence as to what I'm going to do regarding HD-DVD, but I wouldn't call it "revolutionary." VHS to DVD was an easy sell (and it truly was revolutionary): better quality, more convenient, more features, lasts longer, etc etc. DVD to HD-DVD is a harder sell when the general public already sees what it considers to be high quality video from a DVD.


And of course you add the format war to the confusion. It's easy to tell Joe SixPack that football looks better in HD. It's not as easy to tell him that MI:3 will look better. But you won't get to watch hi-def Pirates of the Caribbean on this player.


Based on what I've read, though, if you have a set with HDMI, $299 now gets you a good upconverting player that (might be) future proofed if HD-DVD gets global acceptance and, at a minimum, today gets you some good quality titles from those that are already in the HD-DVD camp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjr /forum/post/0


I'd heard of it, and I'm still on the fence as to what I'm going to do regarding HD-DVD, but I wouldn't call it "revolutionary." VHS to DVD was an easy sell (and it truly was revolutionary): better quality, more convenient, more features, lasts longer, etc etc. DVD to HD-DVD is a harder sell when the general public already sees what it considers to be high quality video from a DVD.


And of course you add the format war to the confusion. It's easy to tell Joe SixPack that football looks better in HD. It's not as easy to tell him that MI:3 will look better. But you won't get to watch hi-def Pirates of the Caribbean on this player.


Based on what I've read, though, if you have a set with HDMI, $299 now gets you a good upconverting player that (might be) future proofed if HD-DVD gets global acceptance and, at a minimum, today gets you some good quality titles from those that are already in the HD-DVD camp.

Many people who own DVDs think they're getting high definition since the back of many DVDs say "mastered in high definition"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0


Many people who own DVDs think they're getting high definition since the back of many DVDs say "mastered in high definition"

I agree. On top of that there are 2 other things that I've never understood why it's so hard for me to explain to people that they MUST HAVE: HDTV and DVRs. Now HDTVs require a replacement TV and HD equipment so I get the hesitation there, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wouldn't have a DVR what with the satellite and cable companies giving them away.


Explaining how the crystal clear picture that DVD promised isn't as crystal clear as it could be? Not happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/0


I love my HD-A1 but my player gets far more work from SD-DVD's than from HD-DVD's! I am beginning to have sincere doubts about the general public's wide scale acceptance of either high definition DVD format. I hope I am wrong.


Question? - Will there come a point in time when I can go down to my favorite store on Tuesday morning for the latest releases and have a choice of SD-DVD, HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD?


You will have noticed that I did not mention the web market. While internet sales are important, as a retired professional logistician I prefer to look at what is readily available on the street because store front sales still ultimately determine the success or failure of consumer products.


Oh, I am a survivor of the VHS/Beta Max wars. In fact, back in the day, the wife and I proudly owned a top of the line $1200 Mitshibushi VHS!

It may be years before you can walk into your favorite store and buy your favorite movie on HD/BD. It may be never. Limiting yourself to B&M stores will add a bit of time, probably years, not to mention adding lots to the price. You'll have a better chance if all you want is current releases. If you want catalog titles, it may be anyone's guess. I have about 1000ish DVDs in my collection, and I doubt if 1/2 of them will end up on any HD format-probably closer to 30%.

J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
1000! far out.


and i think these formats will do ok down the track once people see that their HD braodcast movies look better than their DVD movies and that these HD optical disc formats are a step above their HD broadcasts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0


It may be years before you can walk into your favorite store and buy your favorite movie on HD/BD. It may be never. Limiting yourself to B&M stores will add a bit of time, probably years, not to mention adding lots to the price. You'll have a better chance if all you want is current releases. If you want catalog titles, it may be anyone's guess. I have about 1000ish DVDs in my collection, and I doubt if 1/2 of them will end up on any HD format-probably closer to 30%.

J

I think you're wrong about that. I had about 900 or so SDs and I already have about 150 BDs and Hds so far. Now granted many of the Hi Def releases are new (Casino Royale, Night at the Museum, etc) I have about 100 catalog titles already. And I know there are more and more on the way. So unless they stop making BD and HD tomorrow then I should have at least 30% replaced by next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I'm happy just playing SD new releases with my xa-2. I certainly not going to watch a movie again even in HD that I already seen. If you're hoping for a new movie release in HD that's not going to happen soon. Honestly, I can't see that much difference in PQ, and I watch at least 4 movies a day, HD and SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph D /forum/post/0


I'm happy just playing SD new releases with my xa-2. I certainly not going to watch a movie again even in HD that I already seen. If you're hoping for a new movie release in HD that's not going to happen soon. Honestly, I can't see that much difference in PQ, and I watch at least 4 movies a day, HD and SD.

If you can't see much PQ difference between HD and SD, no disrespect, but you are blind. The differense is vast. To me, SD is like looking at an object through lightly tinted glass, and HD is like looking at the object with nothing on the glass. Not to mention dark areas of SD look terrible compared to HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
No disrespect guys. I agree with the PQ. When I first got the xa-2 a month ago I can't stop praising it how exceptional is the PQ. I guess when you watch so many movies everyday you stop comparing them. I know the upconversion is no match but it's still pretty good. Don't get me wrong, my xa-2 is my baby, until the next generation comes along anyway
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top