AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions about outputting AAC 5.1 to my Yamaha RX-V573 receiver.

1. I've been able to set this up in MPC-HC. I manually set MPC-HC's AAC filter to FFDShow, then have FFDShow convert the audio to AC3 5.1. Is there a way to convert it to PCM 5.1 instead? Would my receiver understand that? I tried the PCM & LPCM options, but my receiver only played stereo.

2. How do I get Windows media center to use FFDShow to decode these AAC 5.1 files? I don't want to have to manually open up MPC-HC every time i watch a movie encoded with AAC 5.1

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes, I tried using shark007, and that was confusing. I couldn't get AAC 5.1 working either. Looks like I have a lot to learn. I've always just installed Haali media spliter, and everything else works fine (DTS/AC3)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
OP,

Ideally, you just need decode AAC5.1 to LPCM 5.1 and be done with it. However, it sounds like you have a non-HDMI connection to receiver. Only HDMI can carrier LPCM 5.1. Optical or coax can only carry PCM 2.0.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that's what I suspected. Do you know how it should be configured? Are they any guides you could point me towards? I've googled and googled but haven't found anything good.

Thanks!

EDIT: Another question is, do I used the 64 bit version of shark007? What about the configuration tool? Should i ignore the 32 bit and only modify the 64 bit version?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Make sure you have configured your HDMI sound card to be 5.1 - by default windows configures them to stereo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW  /t/1470603/output-aac-5-1-to-av-receiver#post_23268540

Make sure you have configured your HDMI sound card to be 5.1 - by default windows configures them to stereo.
Thank you!! that got ffdshow outputting 5.1 PCM.

Still having trouble getting Windows Media Player/Center to play AAC 5.1 through true 5.1 though.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm113  /t/1470603/output-aac-5-1-to-av-receiver#post_23268629

Thank you!! that got ffdshow outputting 5.1 PCM.

Still having trouble getting Windows Media Player/Center to play AAC 5.1 through true 5.1 though.

What do you mean by "true 5.1". Are you getting "false 5.1"?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/1470603/output-aac-5-1-to-av-receiver#post_23268718

What do you mean by "true 5.1". Are you getting "false 5.1"?
I mean the receiver is displaying the source as LPCM 5.1, but the Windows Media Center is only outputting stereo

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
There are two place to set up speakers: Windows sound control panel and Windows Media Center Setup (> Set Up Your Speakers). You have to set both to 5.1 (then if you play stereo AAC, your receiver will get "false" 5.1).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, renethx, thank you, that solved the outputting to LPCM issue.

I was able to solve the outputting WMC/WMP audio to ffdshow issue by installing the 32 bit version of ffdshow and using Codec Tweak Tool to prefer ffdshow for AAC for 32 bit codecs. Once I set that up, everything worked perfectly in WMC and WMP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts