Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been looking for this for a year or two, but now that I actually have a somewhat decent HT system I am more interested in finding an answer:

I want to output a Dolby Digital signal over a coaxial cable from my Game Theater XP 7.1 to my receiver.

I want any stereo signal to be encoded to Dolby Digital (my receiver has ProLogic II) but I figured it would be better to encode earlier.

So I want to play mp3's and such in Dolby Digital 5.1 or 6.1 - and when games like Doom 3 come out that are DD-capable, I want to play them to.

I've heard that some of the nForce boards encode DD - I was hoping that there is software to do it out there, somewhere.

I also have an M-Audio 24/96 if that helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No software that I know of that can do it (at least in real-time that is).

The nforce boards can do it. I have the asus A7N8X and you simply click a box to have it encode everything in DD. It seems to be your only option.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:
you simply click a box to have it encode everything in DD

Would you know which box? I have looked for this setting (and searched these forums) but cannot find it.

Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
technogeeky: [assuming that you could pass stereo signal from your sound card to your receiver digitally via TOSLINK optical or S/PDIF coax],

... precisely on what do you base your assumption that a sound card driver or another piece of software can automatically extrapolate a 5.1 or 6.1. signal from your stereo audio better than ProLogic II ?

Dolby Digital surround encoding is the means to efficiently store multi-track audio. The reason we have all those nice effects on some DVDs is because their 5.1 or 6.1 surround tracks were explicitly mixed down / panned from dozens of individually recorded events/effects tracks, laboriously, by teams of experienced audio engineers at the studio.

This has NOTHING to do with whichever encoding scheme these resulting discrete surround sound audio channels ultimately get encoded with to be put on your DVD so your receiver could play them, be it Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

Alec

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
technogeeky: [assuming that you could pass stereo signal from your sound card to your receiver digitally via TOSLINK optical or S/PDIF coax],

... precisely on what do you base your assumption that a sound card driver or another piece of software can automatically extrapolate a 5.1 or 6.1. signal from your stereo audio better than ProLogic II ?

Dolby Digital surround encoding is the means to efficiently store multi-track audio. The reason we have all those nice effects on some DVDs is because their 5.1 or 6.1 surround tracks were explicitly mixed down / panned from dozens of individually recorded events/effects tracks, laboriously, by teams of experienced audio engineers at the studio.

This has NOTHING to do with whichever encoding scheme these resulting discrete surround sound audio channels ultimately get encoded with to be put on your DVD so your receiver could play them, be it Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

Alec
The Nforce encoding actually _does_ have the ability to "extrapolate" stereo sound. It can create a center channel, do 3D center channel panning...now, whether or not you like the effects better than what the receiver can do is an open question.

I haven't done a lot of testing, but so far I somewhat prefer the "extrapolation" of the Nforce to that of my Denon 3803 (pro-logic, 5.1 matrix effects, etc...)

Of course, I'm sure the music audiophiles are staggering around in shock as you're not supposed to listen to stereo music in anything other than direct stereo sound... :)

Ozy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.