AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love this game brings back so many memories if you were a fan of the first one youll definitely love this one

·
Registered
518 Posts
You have it already? I thought it wasn't available until Tuesday or Wednesday. No matter, I will buy it when it comes out and I will love it. Most people probably can't handle the fact that you can't adjust the differentials and whatnot, nor can you earn respect with a new hairdo nor apply vinyls to your car for no reason whatsoever. But I love a game I can just turn on and play. I won't have to remember "where I'm at" in the game or worry about "progress". Well some modes may have progress, but that's OK I guess.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The demo's been out for a while. After the initial nostalgia wore off it was ok, but not great. It's no Burnout 3, but it's fun to play for a while

Now all they have to do is re-release a good Space Harrier and Afterburner, and I'm set :) Hear that SEGA?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Burnout 3 really isn't about racing though. It's about crashing and in the "racing" mode, it's about trying not to crash. The rubberband AI isn't truly challenging since it cheats so much. Still arcadey good fun, and I'd take Burnout 3 and Outrun over a simulation racer anyday. Outrun 2 is about beating the clock, which doesn't bother me in the least. I'll just be happy to not be driving around in circles (laps) like every other damned racing game out there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A good portion of Burnout 3 is trying not to crash (Racing mode, etc) but the difference is that instead of trying to penalize the gamer, they congratulate him for the crash, and let him string together insane combos for maximum points. And it does a damn pretty job in the process.

I think the AI is awesome in Burnout 3, certain games make sense to rubber-band - the whole point of that game is the battling with other opponents for first place. If you boost your way 20 seconds ahead of the cars all the time you might as well be playing solo.

Burnout 3 is like crack, it's the Tony Hawk of racing games. Outrun 2 to me was a fun, bright, old-school nostalgia trip with a new paint job.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was able to buy it early b/c i work at a electronic store

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
It is available at retail , I saw it today while cruising through a mall ;) .

--- I too played the O2 demo and it did not impress me in the least :( , I will give the full version a rental but nothing more .

----- Jason

·
Registered
518 Posts
Damn young'uns! Don't appreciate older style gameplay! They don't like anything unless it is riddled with violence! In my day, we played games that didn't have Snoop Dawg in 'em and we liked 'em!

Anyway, you have to at least admit the graphics in Out Run 2 are superb. The draw distance is amazing, and the colors outstanding. The graphics in Burnout 3 are good, but far from outstanding. Rallisport 2 probably trounces Out Run 2's graphics, though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Youngin's lol, I guess I can be flattered to be called that :D

I appreciate the old-school flavor in a nostalgic kind of way, but I don't play the old school games like I did when I was younger. I also don't eat peanut-butter and banana sandwiches anymore but that doesn't mean they aren't tasty.

I love Afterburner and Space Harrier too, but when you realize think about it, it's just wave after wave of repetitious enemies. Then again, that's a good thing if you want to achieve that Zen-like gaming trance.

When I was younger we didn't have no Halo thingies, we took our GI Joes out in the sandbox and made our own Blood Gulch!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Screw OutRun 2, where is Pitstop II or Pole Position ported from the commodore 64? Now thats old school! Although, I think snoop was in those too :)

Rev

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
Damn young'uns! Don't appreciate older style gameplay! They don't like anything unless it is riddled with violence! In my day, we played games that didn't have Snoop Dawg in 'em and we liked 'em!

Anyway, you have to at least admit the graphics in Out Run 2 are superb. The draw distance is amazing, and the colors outstanding. The graphics in Burnout 3 are good, but far from outstanding. Rallisport 2 probably trounces Out Run 2's graphics, though.

Hehe , well I am probably as old as you Joe [ or at least close , I am 35 so not too young and been gaming since the days of pong ;) ] .

--- I was playing the original when it came out and I did enjoy it back then .

--- Honestly Outrun 2's graphics do not impress me , sorry :( .

--- The game plays much like the original but it just has too much of a been there done that feel for me to really enjoy it [ not enough of an update IMO ] .

--- I think most of the current driving games outshine Outrun 2 [ PGR2 , RallyS2 , Burn3 , NFS:U ] .

------- Just my opinion ;) ,

------------- Jason

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Pitstop II...now THAT was a racing game....2 players on screen at the same time....WHODA THUNKIT POSSIBLE!?!?!?! :D

Time to dig out the C64 WareZ box :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Hutch
Morpheus, do you happen to know if this game is in widescreen? Thanks.
yes the game is widescreen

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HeadRusch,

Remember Wizard of War and Moon Patrol Boot? Wish I still had the C64. I wonder how much someone would pay me to take it off there hands. I could download a warez, but I don't think my 9800pro could handle the C64 graphics.

Rev

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
Pimpmeister, do the graphics in Burnout 3 impress you? They seem remarkably average to me.
Joe ,

--- No need to play with my screen-name because you like O2 and I do not , certainly we can disagree on games here without taking cheap jabs at others expense ;) . If this was not your intent then I certainly apologize , it's just your wording was making you sound somewhat bothered .

--- The graphics of B3 are decent [ nothing compared to RallySport2 obviously ] but I was not just meaning that B3 and the others I mentioned are better than Outrun2 graphically , they are much more fun to play [ at least IMO ;) ] .

--- I am a huge SEGA fan but they really did a so-so job with O2 , I know they could have done much more with it had they really wanted to . I think they concentrated on staying as close to the original as possible , which is good in some ways but in todays gaming market it just does not stand the test of time when there are games that offer so much more ;) .

--------- Jason

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.