AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a time of the year to buy televisions? I'm looking to pick up a 65" Samsung UN65KS9000 television and not seeing many competitive pricing out there. So is there a good time to buy outside of Black Friday?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most of the television deals actually start in mid-November, a week or two before Black Friday, but that still means waiting until late in the year if you want the best deals on sets. If you want to pick something up before then, the general rule of thumb is just to wait until the first major price drop on the television goes into effect. Most television models see a significant price drop 1-2 months after their release, then remain at that price until they start to go on sale for the end-of-year holiday season. Here's an example of historical price movement for the equivalent model last year, the JS8500: JS8500 Price History. As you can see, it dropped from $4,000 to $3,000 over the first month-and-a-half after it's release, then held essentially steady until the mid-November sales kicked in (with a small sale in September/October). You can see roughly the same chart plotted out last year for the JS9000, although prices temporarily went up in September/October instead of down.

As such, since the KS9000 has been available for around two months, and seen it's first major price drop (from $3,500 down the $3,000), it's unlikely you'll see much better prices from authorized retailers until around November. It's possible they'll do a double step-down like they did last year, but since they started the sets at a lower price this year, I don't think it's particularly likely. There's always a chance that Samsung will buck the usual trend this year and try something different, but there's no reason to expect them to deviate from the norm.

If you want something a bit cheaper, you have a couple of options: You can either talk to one of the smaller retailers (e.g., Cleveland Plasma) about the KS9000, where you can usually get better prices, but will have to handle any exchanges/repairs direct through the manufacturer instead of through the retailer like you might with a big store like Amazon/Best Buy, or you can take of look at the KS8000, which, per the early reviews coming in, appears to be nearly identical to the KS9000 in quality for about 70% of the price.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I don't know if you're employer offers Spendsmart, but I see the price from Samsungs website for that model at $2600.

Out of curiousity is ther something that the 9000 model does that you want that the 8000 does not?

Reactions: The_Donster

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, appreciate the feedback. I was originally looking at the P65-C-1 and 8000, but honesty the 9000 just has a gorgeous picture and a slightly better sound that the 8000. Plus, a local store had it down to $2799.99 and was talking about knocking another $300 (Most likely the tax) brought it down to $2499.99. Which isn't too far off from the 8000 in price. So why not get the top shelf if I can find it at the right price? Unfortunately the store manager pissed off the mrs. and I by not knowing his stuff. He tried to say that the Sony 850C was Sony's top of the line. No, that is top of the line for what your store carries. Given that we don't buy a television very often I do my best to do homework before I take her to look at them to give me a second opinion. So between that and going to Best Buy beforehand she was done after she gave him a couple of chances to recant. What pissed me off was I told him that we were just there so I could show her the Samsung and Sony. Outside of asking him to put on the Avengers on the Samsung, I just wanted us to be left alone. #Hardsellequalsnosale. Another thing is I am planning on buying online as I have some Paypal credit, but trying to find a reputable company outside of Newegg to price match.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Check dealsites, slickdeals.net; dealnews.com

They are both good to pinpoint tv deals. I have seen the 65KS8000 pop up for $1899 multiple times. I would get that over spending the extra grand or so on the 9000, not worth it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TBird. The Mrs. and I spoke over breakfast and agreed we might just have to wait. When showing her the P65, 850C and 8000 my wife felt for that price point the Vizio had the better picture. But she saw the picture quality difference and benefits in the Sony 930C and Samsung 9000 if we could get it for the price that I mentioned above. Anyway, I'm hoping that once the P65 is released in more stores that will drive the prices down on the competition. Long shot, but it will at least give me a better opportunity. Thanks again everyone for your input.

·
Registered
933 Posts
This past weekend I was looking at the 4ks at Best Buy open to anything from the expensive OLEDs to the P series. Asked a salesman when these TVs may be on sale next and was told Father's Day or 4th of July. No guarantee though. FWIW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This past weekend I was looking at the 4ks at Best Buy open to anything from the expensive OLEDs to the P series. Asked a salesman when these TVs may be on sale next and was told Father's Day or 4th of July. No guarantee though. FWIW.

Thanks Dan. That's my thoughts too. I know it isn't going to be Black Friday savings, but I need something. That way I don't feel guilty when I decide I want another upgrade and move this tv to another room.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Spent some time at BB today watching the Martian Blu ray on the P65 and they reiterated the 4th. Typically a time for appliances but this year they say it will be TVs. Again these sales people are not terribly reliable. In any case I've decided to go with the Vizio if I pull the trigger but I'm going to wait a few weeks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spent some time at BB today watching the Martian Blu ray on the P65 and they reiterated the 4th. Typically a time for appliances but this year they say it will be TVs. Again these sales people are not terribly reliable. In any case I've decided to go with the Vizio if I pull the trigger but I'm going to wait a few weeks.

I watched Iron Man 2 on the P75 last week. Nothing really to complain about, but I think I've decided on the Samsung KS8000. Unless I can get a price match on the KS9000 in my price range. I don't know why, but the P Series gives me a bit of pause. It isn't because it is Vizio, because I have one in our bedroom. I just liked the KS Series in the 65" better. Hopefully with whatever I decide I'm not disappointed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts