AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum and would like some advice on installing an oval dish in place of a round sat dish. I am waiting on the arrival of my oval dish, right now I have just the basic hardware installed by a local satellite installer and I am a subscriber to Direct TV. I told the guy who installed my original dish I was going to replace it with the oval and he told me to loosen a couple of bolts and slide the new dish on, is it really that simple? I would appreciate hints and advice.

Thank you,

Albert

·
Registered
76 Posts
In order to use the oval dish u have to do some adjustments, but really only to the equipment that comes with the sat. You will have to adjust for new tilt, azumith, and point to a new locations in degrees. It isnt too hard if u have a compass to point to the new location. If u dont , u can still point it in the general location and keep adjusting till u get signal. (a two person job) Make sure u set ur receiver to the oval dish and 2 or 3 LNB setup so the reciever knows what to look for. ( if u do this before hand the receiver will give u the tilt and azimuth)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, if I set the configuration to oval dish it will give the right location to point at? OK I got that now will this new dish hook up to what I have now(round dish) I guess what I'm asking is all the coaxial lines will just be plugged into the new dish right or am I wrong about that?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the dish has the new intigrated multiswitch, then u just put the coax to one of the 4 cables that are hanging out to ur cable and that should be it.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the pictures but I am still confused I guess the best thing to do is wait for the dish to come in then read the instructions on install than go from there. By the way one of these are the brand of dish I will receive, CM, KIT and Winguard I won the bid on ebay and don't understand why the seller could not be specific on what brand he is sending. Are any of these brands good, I should have done more research before buying. Anyway I am not planning to put the sat C lnb in yet I want to just get the two hooked with no problems first. Some how this seems way complicated I guess I could call a professional to install but it does't seem like these sat installers around my area are familiar with HDTV. If anyone knows an honest installer in Albuquerque NM please let me know.

Thank you,

Albert

·
Registered
76 Posts
all are fine , they are all made typically the same, once u get the dish, it will be easier to inform u how to hook it up. When i got my oval dish last month, i got it up and working fairly quick. Let us know when u get the dish and a pic if possible and we will get u up and running.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Albert,

Im almost certain you are going to have to replace you whole dish set-up. As the mounting pole for the round dish is either larger or smaller so you cant just replace the dish section. And if memory serves correct the holes for the mounting screws on the baseplate are in slightly different locations also.

Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
This depends on who makes the dish. Most likely, the installer is right and the mounting mast will have the same diameter. Disconnect the old dish from the mast & cable and see if it fits snugly on the new mast. If it does, then just assemble the new dish and mount it on the mast. be careful with the tilt adjustment bolts if the dish is fiberglass because the squared base of the bolt can strip the dish easily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Will I have to adjust tilt, azimuth if I change receivers or does all that stay the same? I get my HD receiver Friday and my oval today.

Thanks,

Albert

·
Registered
76 Posts
I heard that there was a difference in one instance that there were differrent azimuth with 2 different receivers at the same house, but typically they shouldn't be. keep us in formed about ur dish when u receive it.

Ray

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I received my dish today and set it up in about an hour it was easy! the azimuth was different by 15 degrees every thing else stayed the same. Question my signal strength meter does not lock, on sat A it fluctuates from 84 to 96, sat B is from 77 to 79 is this normal? my picture is great no problems at all. Thanks for the detailed info.

Albert

·
Registered
76 Posts
if u are having no problems with the picture, then u should be ok. But the signal should be steady, if not , fluctuating within one or two digits + or - .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.