AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in a bit of a jam...i currently have a regular dish with a 2x4 mutliswitch going to 2 directivos. my new tv has an internal DTC 100, so i'l like to upgrade to a triple lnb, sending the HD satellite stream to my new receiver and in addition still send 4 feeds into my 2 directivos. i've asked 5 places and got 5 different answers.

my current theory has that i can bypass the 4x4 on the Oval Dish, run the 4 wires from the dish (with sat c) into a 5x8, and send the 5 feeds into the house (4 for the directivos, one for HD). why wouldn't this work?

one other scenario a local place told me was that we could take the 101 feed and put it directly to my current 2x4 switch for the directivos, and feed the 110/119 output of the 4x4 in the dish directly to my HD receiver. I think taht would work too, but i'ld like to get all the satellites to my tivo's, too (isn't there some programming like NASA on the other ones?)

i have a headache!!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
my current theory has that i can bypass the 4x4 on the Oval Dish, run the 4 wires from the dish (with sat c) into a 5x8, and send the 5 feeds into the house (4 for the directivos, one for HD). why wouldn't this work?
This will work. Make sure you get a dish that doesn't have the multi-switch integrated into the LNB arm. It's tough to bypass those.

-Robert

·
Registered
588 Posts
No need to bypass. This is what I have: an integrated 4x4, with two output feeds cascaded through a 2x4 multiswitch. The 2x4 feeds the DTivos the 101 signal on 4 lines, and since only 2 feeds from the 4x4 are sent through the 2x4, I send one of the other 2 from the 4x4 directly to the HD receiver.

Do a search on feldon23, he made some diagrams of this setup.

David

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have the same setup, i.e., two DTivo, one DTC 100.

I "solved" this by only connecting one of the lines of one of the DTivo's. This means that machine can only view/record one program at a time, but for the application, this was acceptable.

The good thing about this solution is that I didn't have to buy any additional hardware at present.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I also have an HD receiver and two DirecTiVos and I did my cabling the same way that rlsmith did. The second TiVo is in the master bedroom and can only record one channel at a time, but that still resolves a three-way conflict, four-way if I'm watching something live. Once you have your HD receiver set up, you'll find yourself going back to the original paradigm of watching anything in HD live rather than on the TiVo.

The two cabling methods you mentioned will both work. A 5x8 switch will supply all five feeds needed. The alternate method is the one that davidmin mentioned, where you feed two of the outputs of the 4x4 switch to a 2x4 switch and then feed the outputs of the 2x4 switch to the DirecTiVos. Here is the diagram that was referred to, courtesy of feldon23:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/TiVo/di...ch2DTV-2x4.gif

Note: this will also work with a triple-LNB setup, as the cabling for Sat C is done on the input side of the 4x4 switch and doesn't affect the output side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would like to do something similiar but don't know if its possible.

I live in a apartment building and have only 1 coax wire coming into my apartment. This feed is giving me HDTV connected to my DTC100.

Is there anyway I can take this feed and plug it into a regular (non hdtv) receiver? Like a directivo?

Thanks,

mlr

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tom and davidmin -

would that scenario work with the Terk TRIPLE lnb? it has a built in 5x4 switch. Is this going to work the same with that dish as it would with an oval dish with Sat C added? I ask because that triple lnb can be had online for as little as $129.

thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
i'ld like to get all the satellites to my tivo's, too (isn't there some programming like NASA on the other ones?
Since oleus wanted NASA on the D-Tivos, I didn't mention cascading switches. The receivers connected to the cascaded switch only get the 101 satellite.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
having nasa isn't a necessity on the tivos actually, it would have been a nice plus it's not necessary.

looking at that diagram, i don't see why i coudln't use the Terk Triple LNB with the built in 5x4 switch.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, if you really want the other sats on the DTiVo you could run the other unused feed from the 4x4 to one of the tuners on the DTiVo, although I'm not sure how you'd have to set up the DTiVo so that it wouldn't be looking at the wrong tuner. Otherwise you could still see NASA, but live only.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
new to all of this!!

so if you have a directivo and a regular hd receiver how are you switching from one to the other?

i want to have my cake and eat it too!!!

i have the directivo but no hdtv receiver yet and dont think the directv version is worth it, but i do want my hdtv locals here in orlando. how should i do this?

also if you do get a directv hdtv receiver and appropriate dish, will that get you your local channels in hdtv??

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eshear
so if you have a directivo and a regular hd receiver how are you switching from one to the other?

i have the directivo but no hdtv receiver yet and dont think the directv version is worth it, but i do want my hdtv locals here in orlando. how should i do this?

also if you do get a directv hdtv receiver and appropriate dish, will that get you your local channels in hdtv??
A HDTV receiver and a DirecTiVo are just two different sources, much like hooking up two VCRs or a CD player and a cassette player.

On my system, the HD receiver is hooked up to my Sony ES receiver via an optical cable for audio and directly to my HDTV via component video cable. My DirecTiVo is hooked up to the AV receiver via an optical cable for audio and via an S-Video cable for video. I have to switch sources on the AV receiver and inputs on the TV depending on what I want to watch, but I have macros on my MX-500 remote that does all of this automatically.

To get your locals in HDTV, you must have all of the following:

1. local stations that broadcast in HDTV

2a. a HDTV with built-in HDTV tuner

-OR_

2b. a HDTV-ready TV AND a separate HDTV receiver (STB)

3. an appropriate UHF and/or VHF antenna

You cannot get locals in HDTV via DirecTV, only OTA, or possibly cable if your cable provider offers HDTV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.