AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an oval dish for DirecTV and now get absolutely no signal from the 101 degree satellite, but at least 70's for the 119 satellite. I have reversed the two dual LNB's and the cabling, and the result is same.

I had a regular round dish before and always had strength in the 90's for the 101 satellite. Now I get nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much for any help.

-BB

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You didn't say what STB you are using. You are using one of the new "plus" STB's or an HD-STB right?

Did you go into the menu and select "OVAL" dish as opposed to "ROUND."

Usually it is the reverse...people can get the 101 but have trouble with the 119.

Lee

·
Registered
497 Posts
I use two round dishes instead of the oval. In my installation the LNBFs had to be connected to the correct input of the switch. I swapped them and voila! I don't know if you can have the same problem with the oval.

Al Keown

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, first off, I'm just using my SAT-T60 to measure signal strength for now. Once I get signal from both birds, I'll hook up my DTC-100.

So I'm convinced it's just a dish pointing problem. I got the coordinates from my receiver (I couldn't get them online). Azimuth 138, elevation 46, tilt 100. With the tilt at 100 and adjusting elevation to about 48, I was able to get a strong signal from the 119 bird, but nothing from 101. So then I thought that maybe I should try the tilt to the default of 90. Now I'm able to get a strong signal from the 101 bird, but nothing from 119.

This means that all my cabling and multiswitch works just fine. I just can't figure out the dish pointing for the life of me. I know the post is perfectly level, so the elevation/tilt should be accurate. Maybe I should invest in a compass so I can nail the azimuth.

I'm assuming the tilt really should be at 100, like the SAT-T60 says? Does anyone here live in north Orange County, CA? What settings are you using?

Thanks again for any help,

-BB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have solved the problem. The pointing values from DirecTV were wrong. I went to RCA's site and they gave me completely different numbers. I used these new values and everything worked great.

Thanks again for your help.

-BB

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmm, makes me wonder. I tried to replace my Sony dual LNB dish with a Sony oval last week. Got no signal on either 101 or 119. I also used the SAT T60. I set the AZ on a line drived from the existing (working) dish and used the EL and TILT from the SAT T60. Spent lots of time on the roof and finaly sent the LNBs and Multiswitch back to Sony for repair/replacement. Put the old dish back and it locked instantly.

I checkeed the RCA site and found the AZ and EL to be many degrees off what the SAT T60 database thinks they should be, I'll pay more attention if and when Sony sends back the parts.

vdc

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, without a doubt, the numbers I received from my SAT-T60 were wrong. Elevation off by 4 degrees. Tilt off by 1.3 degrees. Azimuth off by 14.5 degrees. Bottom line, go to RCA's website and use those values.

-BB

·
Registered
10 Posts
when using two rounds what do I need to connect the two cables into one at back or receiver also is 119 for hdtv where do i get correct angle for dish pointing for 119?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.