AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..

If I have a "LG 42PX3DCV" as my tv (that does have a ATSC tuner) and a "Terk HDTVa" Indoor Antenna and live in Portland, OR 97212, I should easily be able to pick up free over-air local HD channels, correct?

I have ran my tv through auto and manual channel set-up several times and have been unsuccessful to establish any OTA HD channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your valuable time.. (I was unable to hyper link information on the tv and antenna, hence the attached pdf)

keith

Plasma 42PX3DCV.pdf 147.0439453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkkj /forum/post/20879034

Hi..

If I have a "LG 42PX3DCV" as my tv (that does have a ATSC tuner) and a "Terk HDTVa" Indoor Antenna and live in Portland, OR 97212, I should easily be able to pick up free over-air local HD channels, correct?

I have ran my tv through auto and manual channel set-up several times and have been unsuccessful to establish any OTA HD channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your valuable time.. (I was unable to hyper link information on the tv and antenna, hence the attached pdf)

keith

Go to TVFool and follow the instructions for finding what is available in your area at your location. Indoor reception can be hit and miss a lot of times. The best way to get OTA is to use an outdoor antenna on your roof but that isn't always possible for a lot of folks. There are other indoor antennas that will work better than a Terk but keep in mind there really isn't such a thing as an "HDTV antenna". Any good UHF/VHF antenna will work but you need figure out first what stations in your area broadcast on UHF and/or high gain VHF. Move the Terk around your house and see if reception changes or improves. There are lots of obstacles that have to be avoided before you can get OTA digital reception. Buildings, trees, mountains, etc can really mess with your reception. You either get the reception or you don't. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I ran your zip code on TV fool and it said that your locals are only 5 miles away. If the Terk antenna is amplified make sure its plugged in and turned off. It needs to be plugged up to work. Put your antenna close to a window. Then make sure your TV is set to "Air" and not "Cable" then do a channel scan. You should pick up all your channels if your antenna isn't broken. You could probably pick up channels with a paper clip in the antenna in jack. But most people recommend the rabbit ears from Radio Shack for your situation.

I use the Terk TV 5 antenna and it works great with my stations 8 miles away.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Be sure you have the OTA antenna connected to the "antenna" jack...there are separate ones for "Cable (TV)" and "(OTA) Antenna". Then, be sure the setup menu is set for "Antenna", not "Cable".

As with any amplified OTA antenna, it is highly subject to overload, especially from FM transmitters. Start out with the long, telescoping VHF elements telescoped down to their minimum length...that will lessen the amount of FM (and all VHF) signal. After you find the majority of stations, you can lengthen the VHF rods a little bit at a time while scanning for any VHF stations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.