1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22310

Tom Bramwell 11:23 18/01/2007

Senior developer says audience is expanding

Microsoft's Chris Satchell has revealed that "over half" of the people who have bought Xbox 360 since its November 2005 launch did not buy an Xbox 1.

"We've sold 10.4 million, but the stat you may not have heard is that over half of those sales are from people that didn't own an Xbox 1," Satchell told GamesIndustry.biz in an interview published today.

"So there are lots of new people coming in, which kind of surprises you. What we're actually finding is that our customer set is broadening, which we think is important."

That's a view shared by Nintendo which is seeking to broaden its target demographic with the DS and Wii rather than simply selling more games and systems to existing fans.

However Satchell's comments are likely to be questioned in some quarters because Microsoft has already publicly admitted that the 10.4 million consoles sold haven't all been purchased by consumers.

Speaking to GI.biz at CES, Xbox boss Peter Moore said that in the context of its own figures, "'Sold' means that we're a wholesaler of hardware and we sell it to a retailer, and that's the important criteria."

Meanwhile, recent NPD Group figures put Xbox 360's US installed base at 4.5 million, with Wii at 1.1 million and PlayStation 3 finding its feet with around 690,000 US owners by the end of 2006.

Whatever the real figure is, the fact that Microsoft is claiming "over half" as new consumers is set to cause concern amongst its console rivals. It's also likely to surprise those commentators who have argued that Xbox 360's early success is down to enthusiasm from the 24 million existing Xbox 1 owners.

Related Articles

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah i was always a PS2 guy. And I held out until the PS3 came out but wasn't happy with the tings I read about it and decided to go with the 360 and i have no regrets.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedlav /forum/post/0

Meh, I always go for what I think is the best console available. I had a PS2 before the 360 and a 64 before the PS1. Brand loyalty gets you screwed.

Correct. It is simply about what is offered and worth your money. You don't have to claim you owned or currently own every console to be satisfied, if so then more power to you. Some of us is getting older so just because the PS3 is on the market for me doesn't mean I need to have it now when it doesn't give me what I want currently. Maybe when those games I want come out(if they don't go to the 360) and they get the online service better then what it is then I might pick it up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
pretty much everyone who did have an xbox and upgraded did get a 360 but not everyone who had a ps2 got a ps3. I think thats funny because it shows that ms was able to keep people they got with their first gen. I haven't talked to anyone who had an xbox 1 and didn't want a 360.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I didn't own one original XBox....I owned two! Until DSL came to my area I had to have a second box when it was new just so all my peeps could play. That, and my first Xbox had a chitty harddrive that kept shutting down when loading certain games. So, does that put me in that demographic too?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had a PS2. I was on the fence and getting a PS3 until the pricing was announced. I bought a 360 the next week. I got all my friends to get one too.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Over the lifetime of a product, the profile of a typical customer tends to vary.

With consoles, launch adopters are dedicated gamers. They are followed by more traditional early-adopters, the highly-influential knowledgeable sorts that control word-of-mouth. After that, come afluent mainstream buyers and, as prices come down, you get more and more mainstream (read:middle-class) households and, once the price is low enough, you get the pack-buyers.

XBOX1 never really got much beyond the dedicated gamer demographic.

It picked up pretty much every last one of them in NorthAM, but it didn't make much of a dent into the pack buyers that jumped on PS2 enmasse.

The big question here is: what is the geographic distribution between old XBOX customers and the newcomers like? Could this simply be a signal of a shift in the euro market? A lot of folks there are peeved at Sony for delaying their launch after promising them an early launch.

Still, if we take this statement literally, it means that:

a- a lot of dedicated gamers are waiting for a price cut to buy (dedicated gamer does not mean price-insensitive, after all)

b- a lot of early adopters (definitely *not* price sensitive) that passed on XBOX1 altogether are jumping on 360

c- a lot of afluent buyers are going with 360 instead of waiting for PS3

All three trends are good for 360 (which is cheaper and has more revenue streams than the competitors and is *designed* to quickly slide down in price) because they are better-positioned to get price-sensitive buyers, and bad for the opposition, because they are in effect padding their lead with opposition customers, not return business. Sony is particularly impacted because as the previous-generation leader, these "defectors" are coming off their side of the zero-sum non-dedicated gamer ledger..(Dedicated gamers buy multiple brands; the rest don't.) To top it off, Sony apparently believed that there were more brand-loyal, content- and price-insensitive buyers, than have materialized to date for their current pricing structure.

For 360 this means they are cherry-picking Sony's best cutomers (the ones likely to *buy* games instead of renting them) and improving their economies of scale, *without* having to drop prices, all before releasing the big franchise games (Halo 3, GTA4, etc) that will draw in the rest of the XBOX1 owners. (MS did say that "Sony gave us our 06 price cut.")

If this trend remains, then, unless Sony gets aggressive in cutting prices and simply drops the "BD-premium" they are charging, odds are MS will charge ahead and their current 9-10 million installed base lead will *grow* rather than slowly shrink, as current sales model forecasts have it.

Interesting and (somewhat) unexpected.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have two co-workers who were both very anti-xbox last generation. Both of these guys owned the PS2 & Gamecube.

Both had ruled out the PS3 because of the supposed shortage and because of the price of it. So they were both on the fence between the Wii and the 360 and both wound up going for the 360 because of the games.

MS's head start really payed off in terms of games available for the system when it came to these two guys.

The funniest part, both said that one of the biggest factors was Viva Pinata. They both like those types of games and both have said they really love the game. These are both guys who are hardcore gamers who have owned almost every single system in existence since they were kids.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think there is a fair amount of people like me that didn't own any of the previous generation (xbox, ps2 or gamecube) consoles. I am a long time gamer but I skipped the last gen consoles in favor of PC gaming. My last console was a SNES and I had several other prior to that, including my first one being an atari 2600.

I bought the xbox 360 as a media hub as much as I did for the gaming. I have loved it so far. I am hopefully they continue to build on the software and hardware. I would like to see a new version of the 360 come out about every 18 months - 24 months. For those that think I am crazy, I am not on my 7th or 8th PC since 1994 and I do not regret buying any of them. I like to stay within 6 months or so of the current technology. Sony's approach to a new hardware platform every 5 - 8 years is not going to work for people like me.

I will buy a new 360 every 2 years if MS releases a new version with some advancements. I am also hoping they continue to release more addon's like the HD DVD drive.

If they would release a wireless keyboard/mouse and allow the option to add an external usb HD that you can write and read from this would be a perfect console/media hub and would appeal to even more of the PC Gamer crowd.

Just to add another twist on this report. I think the delay and price of PS3's before christmas had a lot to do with the 360's numbers.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNJ /forum/post/0

The funniest part, both said that one of the biggest factors was Viva Pinata. They both like those types of games and both have said they really love the game. These are both guys who are hardcore gamers who have owned almost every single system in existence since they were kids.

I originally bought it for the wife, but VP has great depth and is more addicting than I would have thought. I probably play it more than R6:V, because it's a great single player game.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I was pretty happy with my PS2 and had no real desire to buy a Xbox.

I bought a 360 in February and another in May.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.