AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help here. I know my small apt living room is not ideal for surround sound but I'd really like to make it work. I have a Denon avr 1611 and polk rm510 speaker system which is basically polk rm 85 set with a psw 110 sub.

Sorry for the lame sketch arts and crafts were never my strong suit...

Also I figured the front speakers would be the rm 8s which have the side speaker thing but what do you guys think?

Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your placement looks fine to me. A lot of people would put both rears on the back wall but the way you laid it out will give surround to more people in the room. I'd say you nailed it.

[edit] ...

since you have a denon use the room EQ in each listening position to get the best results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-heat
Your placement looks fine to me. A lot of people would put both rears on the back wall but the way you laid it out will give surround to more people in the room. I'd say you nailed it.

[edit] ...

since you have a denon use the room EQ in each listening position to get the best results.
Thanks guys

I read the that post but with my current limitations I think this is the best I can do. My current worry is how the polk rm8 speakers which have the side tweeter are going to do since technically they will be shooting sound back towards the tv or center of the room...

I understand corner setups like this are never going to be that great but I'd like to make it work as best as possible

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
The link that Wayne posted has all the information you need. If you can't move your seating to a more appropriate position for surround, then I wouldn't bother with the surround speakers. In your current configuration, every listening position has the surround speakers "in front" of the listener. You can't be "surrounded" if the surround speakers are in front of you.

I suggest you place your AV system on the wall labeled "12ft", then place the sofa in front of the door on the left at 1/3 of the dimension of the room. This will provide a walkway around/behind the sofa, allow for *proper* placement of the surrounds, and it will also place you in a much better position for bass response.

Craig

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john
I suggest you place your AV system on the wall labeled "12ft", then place the sofa in front of the door on the left at 1/3 of the dimension of the room. This will provide a walkway around/behind the sofa, allow for *proper* placement of the surrounds, and it will also place you in a much better position for bass response.

Craig
I think this is a good suggestion. You can't just take random room layout and make surround sound work in it. Even if your new layout will look weird for you at the beginning, over time you will get accustom to it. Contemporary interior design opposes placing sofas along the walls.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The tv on the 12 ft wall looks best to me also. Will sound the best for that room most likely. Getting the surround speakers to each side or slightly behind the main seating position is key for them to even be useful. Kitty corner layouts usually lead to narrow soundstage and bad reflections.

Really don't be afraid to try new layouts. I have a semi small apartment. I've lived with the same surround setup for the last 3 years. Never really happy with it. My !!!wife!!! Had the idea to flip the whole room sideways. Looks crazy right now, but I feel I have new speakers. Amazing difference.

Moral of the story, try new things, mess around, don't be afraid. Thats your hard earned money you spent going to waste otherwise. Also, if you have one, listen to the wife's opinion once in a while...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope I'm just a 22yr old college student...

Now here is a more accurate representation of the room because i'm having difficulty seeing what you guys are. I am having difficulty imagining any other layout but i am trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts