AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have an odd issue with an older JVC LT-42X788. The TV itself is beautiful for being something manufactured in 2007, but recently I picked up one of them fancy fangled load tester/watt meters to see what kind of power drains I'm throwing at my electric bill, and to find out what the difference is between "fast startup mode" and "regular startup mode" on this TV. What I discovered is actually quite disturbing, and something that JVC themselves seem to not know about ( still waiting for a response from a customer service request I sent in a few days ago)

The power consumption label on the TV lists this as burning a Maximum of 250 watts of power. My AmWatt shows it as currently ( as I type this) burning 395 watts. Before blaming the TV itself for faults, I tested several other devices around the house to ensure the meter itself wasn't just stupid, or handling its numbers wrong.

Other stuff I tested:

200 watt aquarium heater: 197W.

110 watt laptop : 87 watts

23 watt CFL bulb: 24 watts.

up to 4 Amp (480 watt) Sceptre 42BV-FullHD: (energy star compliant) 135 watts

So, the meter itself is accurate to within a few watts on stuff that has known power consumption rates.

So, I'm looking for ideas and reasons that this LCD burns through more than 3 times the power it should (it is energy star rated for 2007) when I have the picture as dim as I can make it, and burns around 650 watts when I do the "Genesee picture engine auto demonstration" from the menu.

some of the ideas I had included bad balast board for backlight, bad/overheating power supply board, or JVC of America just flat out lied about the power consumption on this set... the least likely since it does have a Csa stamp on the back...

Any one else have any ideas before I grab a screwdriver, a multimeter, and start looking for burned or bloated caps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19630728

At 650W it should feel VERY hot on the back. Plasmas are the only 42" that typically use that much power and they have metal backs and fans to cool them.

Right, thats the problem here... its an LCD thats tagged as using a maximum of 250 watts, that regularly draws over 400 watts.

What would make this happen?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the set has not burst into flames, try this. Find a current meter and measure both current and voltage at the power cord. Then you just multiply the two to calculate watts. This will confirm your watt meter isn't being fooled by something out of the ordinary. If both readings are the same, I would call a service tech and have it checked out for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
its your meter....

that its accurate with light bulbs and heaters means nothing as they are the most simple of loads to measure. it gets a lot more complicated than that with other appliances as you are finding out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts