AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This could be interpreted a couple of different ways... Are you referring to the DLP color wheel annoyance when you say rainbow?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm prepared for the rainbows (i think) since i've already seen them on the $17k Runco...at least i know what they are now.

the problem is how they will be with whatever set-up i have by the time i (hopefully) get the projector.

i'd like to think this new Kenwood progressive player will be a impressive as it sounds, but then there are HTPC and Scaler options to consider.

suppose the rainbows are awful, out of the box with a (supposedly) great prog scan and a breakout cable

-there then exists the faint hope that adding a scaler will help get it over that hurdle

...then after spending the money on the scaler that still just doesn't do it, you think "well, guess i will have to pop for an HTPC if i want the best (i.e. minimal rainbow) picture.

there are so many options to upgrade for some of us while still owning the projector. i would think it would take a while of tweaking and shuffling around various products to find the projector absolutely, positively produces an unwatchable picture ( due to rainbows)...it's gonna be a shame if a lot of people don't give it several chances, with several different (and probably pricier) configs.

you'd still be getting a total system at a spectacular savings.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
A buddy of mine now owns an LCD projector. He was blissfully happy last year with his DLP, then discovered his wife was painfully sensitive to the rainbow effect, although he never has seen it. I never have seen it either, I just prefferred the appearance of the LCD screen over the DLP - I like saturated colors and sit just far enough back to miss the screendoor.

But it cannot be denied that you get a lot of brightness and contrast for your money with a 1-chip DLP.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.