AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an expansion of my earlier thread which reviewed the pilot episode only of this new series on FX. Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=563548

I just finished watching episode #5, entitled "Embedded". My thoughts are:

1) Quality remains extremely high. Some episodes were better than others, but none have been duds.

2) The portrayal of the war remains extremely even-handed. As yet I have detected no hint of any political pro-war or anti-war stance whatsoever.

3) A recurring sub-theme has been the media coverage of the war and how it is biased against America. Al-Jazeera and non-American networks are portrayed as openly hostile. In tonight's episode, an embedded reporter's video footage was re-cut by the (American) Wire Service he worked for to sensationalize some civilian casualties. He's now a hostage, after figuring out the killings were staged by his Iraqi source.

I'm still watching, and still impressed. This is a landmark in military drama IMHO. Even the soapy implied extra-marital affairs by the spouses left behind ring true. (I grew up on military bases and saw entirely too much similar stuff.) Thankfully the scriptwriters are keeping focus on the soldiers and the combat, that's really what the show is about.

Gary

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
One the the things I'm most amazed about with this show is that it's virtually a "real-time" drama. It's a scripted drama, set in a current war - pretty amazing.

Randy

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
I'm impressed, too. Clearly they had to make stylistic compromises due to budget, but this show is a pretty realistic facsimile of what's happening "over there" right now.

It also dramaticises the age-old impatience of the common soldier with the endless stupidity of the officer core (i.e. a general who wanted "his toilets" so badly he would sacrifice a few men's lives to get them). One wonders when the right-wingers will start to whine that this show is "anti-war", or anti-administration, because of those themes? They'd be completely wrong, of course, but when has that ever stopped them?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
-snip-

One wonders when the right-wingers will start to whine that this show is "anti-war", or anti-administration, because of those themes? They'd be completely wrong, of course, but when has that ever stopped them?
Well I suppose you could call me a right-winger, I grew up in a military family and me and four of five siblings either served or made a career in the US military. My youngest sister is currently "Over There" in Afghanistan, halfway through her first combat tour as a USAF 1st Lieutenant. Another In-Law is a special forces guy battling Muslim extremists in Bosnia, an armed conflict almost ignored by the press today.

Actually I have been wondering when the left-wingers will start to whine about how the show is pro-war and pro-administration. And YES, they'll be equally as wrong.

In any case the fact that we are having this conversation just establishes the proof of what I said about the neutral political stance. I find that as astonishing as anything else about the show, considering the producers came from NYC, that bastion of left-wing thinking.

Please folks let's talk about the show and not politics. I've been reading other reviews and I notice a curious dichotomy in reviews by those who claim to be present military members and veterans of this or another Middle East conflict. About half of such reviews praise the realism and accuracy of the scripts, and the other half condemn the unrealistic nature of such! Curiouser and curiouser . . . that seems to about equal the division between other reviews by those who claim no special knowledge of conditions "Over There".

It seems to be one of those shows you either like a lot or dislike intensely. There is almost nobody claiming indifference.

Gary

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy
Actually I have been wondering when the left-wingers will start to whine about how the show is pro-war and pro-administration. And YES, they'll be equally as wrong.
I don't think you'll see much of that. That's what Fox"News" is for. :rolleyes:

Quote:
It seems to be one of those shows you either like a lot or dislike intensely. There is almost nobody claiming indifference.

Gary
Right you are. And that couldn't make the producers happier, I should think. Strong reactions = strong ratings, usually. After all, in show business there's no such thing as bad publicity. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
So far I've only seen 1 episode, the one about the roadblock and IEDs. I thought it was pretty good. The dialogue, although may seem too "intricate" for a soldier, but it has to be like that otherwise the audience wouldn't understand anything.

As a former leg, I can say that they do try and keep things as real as they can.

·
Premium Member
35,990 Posts
This is great TV, I think it could easily play well on a HBO for instance. FX has some damn fine programming

I think my favorite line so far is from Dim when they get to the prison/holding cell scene and one of the other soldiers talks about the high rate of Iraqi citizens in jail, "We bring democracy everywhere we go".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.