AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a little while now... I've been waiting for the Sony HD-100... then waiting for the bugs to be ironed out... I've read the forum... now just want to ask the overall general question...

If you had it all to do over again, which DTV tuner would you buy... and why?

BTW - I probably won't use the tuner for DirectTV... I've just heard it would be a good DTV tuner for the price.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am also happy with my SIR-T150. Especially since there is no fan noise! Small profile too.

My only minor concern about it is that it does not output gray bars on the side of 4:3 material. I think someone said an upgrade was available. Is this true? How do I get it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
For OTA only, I'd agree that the Samsung SIR T 150 is the best bet. It's especially good at picking up difficult stations (weak or moderate multipath).

For satellite and OTA, my favorite is the Toshiba DST 3000. It works well and, like the Samsung, also has no fan. Read some of the threads about tuners with fans and the owners who are desperately trying to quiet those fans and you'll really appreciate the Toshiba and Samsung approach via convection cooling.

Samsung should soon be coming out with a satelitte/OTA combination tuner (the model 200, I believe) that would be worth considering as well.

Les

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to check back in a couple of days and make a decision... I'll let you all know what I did. For ****s and grins, the fan noise won't be a problem (many other components with it), since the stereo has its own cozy little room. I like the idea of getting satellite... but will use it just for OTA for some time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone know where to get a SIR-T150 online? And what is the diff in the 100 and 150?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
What type of antenna do you use with the Samsung sirt150? Will any antenna work? I currently use a TERK50 for local stations. Thanks!

regards,

Michael

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bearauto,

You need:

1) the HDTV tuner

2) an HDTV television set or monitor

3) an antenna (from indoor/simple to outdoor/elevated/sophisticated, depending on your location, and

4) local TV stations that broadcast in HDTV.

Steps 1 and 2 are the simplest, Steps 3 and 4 may be simple or very complicated depending on your individual circumstances. What city are you in?

Les

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm happy with my Samsung SIR-T150.

I like not having a zillion channels to surf. It's all a bunch of crap, really, but the occasional worthwhile program is normally broadcast OTA. IMHO.

------------------

-CB-

Interested in Atlanta specific issues?
Atlanta HDTV & DTV Group

·
Registered
49 Posts
Friends, I live in Downey, CA...which is near Los Angeles. I have the TV, and I can buy the Samsung (I have a 500 dollar gift certificate at Hollytron in LA, and they sell a Samsung Receiver...which model, I do not know) receiver.

I also have an outdoor antenna on my roof, but I get poor reception when I plug that into my Sony KP-65XBR10W. So, what should I do?

Also, I'm in the market for a DVD player...is this a good one for the cost?
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...1&log=&NavTop=

·
Registered
71 Posts
The DVD players on that list are really not worth it if you REALLY care about the image quality... If you just want a DVD player then heck can't beat the price... But I don't think an of those have comp. out or can do a 720p... That would make the image real nice. TO get a dvd player that will do that might have to toss in like $800+

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bearauto,

I too have the KP-65xBR10W and use the Toshiba DST3OOO DirectTV/Antennae HD tuner. To my disgust, Sony has told me that my Toshiba is NOT compatible with the set (as I have been having problems with the two together) so make sure the box you buy is "compatible" with your set (whatever Sony meant by "compatible" I don't know!) Of course they recommend their HD100 for full compatibility ( :

------------------

Kent Oberlin www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

[This message has been edited by koberlin1 (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bearauto:

Depends on what you mean by "poor reception." If you mean ghosting, you may have a big problem getting HDTV, because it's very sensitive to ghosting (multipath, as it's called).

Under the worst conditions, you may not be able to get much or any of the available HDTV stations. There are certainly lots of HDTV broadcasters in your area. Other people in your particular location can probably help tell you what their reception is - that doesn't guarantee that your experience will be the same or similar, however.

Are you in a hilly region where direct line of sight is not available to the broadcast transmitter? If so, that can be the most difficult situation.

What you'd need is a high gain, high directivity, outdoor antenna mounted on your roof, maybe with a preamp at the antenna. Suitable antennas are the Channel Master 4248 yagi or the Channel Master 4228 8 bay bowtie. You'd also need a rotor to turn the antenna. You'd need to get all this installed by someone who knows what they're doing, or learn how to do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Les

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is all very interesting advice...I think I have a good line of sight, but yes, the picture is FUZZY on some channels with the arial antenna. And the SAMSUNG is no good with the sony eh? That puts me in a bit of a fix I guess...we shall see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AH...that's good news then. I do have some questions for you guys though:

1. How much does that T150 cost?

2. For your A/V setup, is your TV or A/V Receiver the heart of your hookups?

3. Is the Pioneer DV434 a decent DVD player?

4. How the hell do I get rid of ghosting?

THANKS for all your help folks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.