AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some O/C issues with my setup.


E2220 and Abit IN73HD


The issues are I'm a noob and have never done this before. I have done alot of research and have also tried alot of attempts and configurations, with no luck.


I have tried linked and unlinked. Even with the stock speed using a different config, it wont boot. I tried unlinked with a QDR FSB of 1200 (300 FSB), and a multiplier of 8 with the ram @ 800 (same as stock setting), and it will POST but wont boot Windows. I don't understand why since I'm using the same speed... I have also tried linked with the ram at 1200.


All other settings, I can't even get it to POST, and I'm getting annoyed with resetting my CMOS...


Any advice or settings with this config will be appreciated.


I would like to run it at or near 3 GHZ, but I will take what I can get



EDIT: After messing around in the bios, I found that the EIST setting needed to be disabled.. I'm at 2.7 right now, gonna see if it will take 3.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't seem to get past 2.8.


Using 930 FSB (QDR), 12x Multiplier, linked and auto.


Stock voltage. I tried to move the voltage up, but still no go at 935-950 FSB (QDR)


Should I try higher settings still, increase the voltage more, try unlinked for RAM, decrease the multiplier and increase the FSB...???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I suggest finding all your bottle necks in your overclock.

Do so by turning your multiplier all the way down to minimum. starting from a working FSB speed and turn it up untill it fails on Orthos stress tests. that is your cpu/ram/FSB limit.


Once you know that start playing with ram speeds/dividers. likely need to run it 1:1 with FSB which you can verify with cpu-z program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminence55 /forum/post/14332390


I suggest finding all your bottle necks in your overclock.

Do so by turning your multiplier all the way down to minimum. starting from a working FSB speed and turn it up untill it fails on Orthos stress tests. that is your cpu/ram/FSB limit.


Once you know that start playing with ram speeds/dividers. likely need to run it 1:1 with FSB which you can verify with cpu-z program.

Ok, so I tested my FSB with my highest multiplier (linked)... Which was 232.5 (FSB was listed as 930 for FSB QDR) @ 12x.


I will take your advice and check out how high I can get the FSB for each multiplier.


Is it likely to reach a higher speed via higher FSB and lower multiplier, on the same voltage settings, opposed to lower FSB and higher multiplier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it at 3.0 right now...


FSB @ 250 and 12x multi with Voltage @ 1.3375 works fine in Orthos Stress Test (unlinked @ 800). Voltage @ 1.3125 received errors.


My FSB seems to cap @ 300, although I thought it could run up to 400... I can run 300 x 10 (unlinked @ 800), but anything higher either way seems to fail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long should a stress test run for, before I know it's stable?


Right now I got FSB @ 275, 12x multi for 3.3GHz. Voltage @ 1.5125 (in BIOS) and RAM unlinked @ 800. Actual voltage is between 1.40 and 1.47.


Seems stable so far...


CPU hovers around 50 degrees Celsuis under 100% load (stress tests). Normal load it resumed back to about 30-35 degrees.


Also, is it better to have a higher FSB and lower multi or higher multi and lower FSB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/14336469


How long should a stress test run for, before I know it's stable?

How long will you be keeping your PC on?


My E2160 was Orthos stable for 24 hours. I was running it 24/7 (mostly idle) for a couple months with no problems. With the summer heat, though, it was shutting down every 3 days so I lowered the OC a bit. Stress tested lower OC and it was Orthos stable for 24hrs. After 2 weeks, it shut down by itself again. Now, it's back to stock and replaced with an E7200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/14339812


How long will you be keeping your PC on?


My E2160 was Orthos stable for 24 hours. I was running it 24/7 (mostly idle) for a couple months with no problems. With the summer heat, though, it was shutting down every 3 days so I lowered the OC a bit. Stress tested lower OC and it was Orthos stable for 24hrs. After 2 weeks, it shut down by itself again. Now, it's back to stock and replaced with an E7200.

It's on for about 16 hours a day. I shut it down at night and power up in the morning.


The room it's in is climate controlled with A/C and it is well ventilated, with 2 120mm fans (Antec Fusion).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/14340115


It's on for about 16 hours a day. I shut it down at night and power up in the morning.

Then 16 hours of stress testing should be sufficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a safe operating temp during Orthos Stress Test for the E2220?


Certain parts of the test make it reach 80 Degrees C, which then shuts down my CPU (set in BIOS for 80C).


Under normal load its between 30-35 @ 1.4v, Orthos @ 100% @ 1.48v is around 65-70C, with some parts reching 80sih.


Is this normal, or is it safe to assume my O/C is not stable due to intense temp levels under sustained periods of maximum load?


Part of the issue is probably that I'm using a stock cooler (I plan to get Scythe Ninja Mini). Although it's fine when it's not under sustained full load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts
If your PC is shutting itself down, then yeah, pretty much. During stress testing, mine didn't go above 60C (stayed around 58~59C) and it was already idling at 34~36C. Get a better cooler before you try any extreme overclocks. With just the stock cooler, I'd suggest you don't try any overclocks that would require raising the CPU vcore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/14345614


If your PC is shutting itself down, then yeah, pretty much. During stress testing, mine didn't go above 60C (stayed around 58~59C) and it was already idling at 34~36C. Get a better cooler before you try any extreme overclocks. With just the stock cooler, I'd suggest you don't try any overclocks that would require raising the CPU vcore.

I changed my O/C from 275x12 to 267x12, turned the voltage from 1.5125 to 1.4375, and turned EIST back on.


I ran Orthos Stress Prime 2004 (BETA) for an hour, and it hovered at 60C, and on idle it went back down to 27C. I am going to get the Scythe Ninja Mini asap, but this seems like a much more stable O/C. I don't expect to run any hardcore continous loads for the time being anyways.



Voltage ranged from 1.31 (idle) to 1.39 (100%).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
There are web forums devoted to overclocking the intel CPUs, complete with beginner step-by-step guides. I suggest you visit them. Google is your friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/14346346


There are web forums devoted to overclocking the intel CPUs, complete with beginner step-by-step guides. I suggest you visit them. Google is your friend.

With so many knowledgable members here @ AVS Forum, who needs Google?...


...I will be sure to check out the overclocking forums, since I am a noob... I'm working on changing that though



Thanks for the info...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top