AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got myself an aftermarket cooler for my q6600 processor, got some corsair rams with heat sinks, and an XFX HD 5970 Black Edition and was looking forward to overclocking the hell out of everything. However when I check cpu-z after setting an overclock in the bios everything is at stock settings. When I reboot and go back into the bios everything is reset. I haven't got a clue how to fix this.

I have been experiencing low performance with the hd5970 as well (relatively at least, it gets only 16,000 marks in 3dmark vantage when it should get 20k+), and I want to see how everything behaves while overclocked to see if its just my cpu bottlenecking the card or what (I know it will bottleneck the 5970 but it shouldn't be doing it that much).


Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpokes85 /forum/post/18186256


I recently got myself an aftermarket cooler for my q6600 processor, got some corsair rams with heat sinks, and an XFX HD 5970 Black Edition and was looking forward to overclocking the hell out of everything. However when I check cpu-z after setting an overclock in the bios everything is at stock settings. When I reboot and go back into the bios everything is reset. I haven't got a clue how to fix this.

I have been experiencing low performance with the hd5970 as well (relatively at least, it gets only 16,000 marks in 3dmark vantage when it should get 20k+), and I want to see how everything behaves while overclocked to see if its just my cpu bottlenecking the card or what (I know it will bottleneck the 5970 but it shouldn't be doing it that much).


Thanks in advance

I assume you're saving the info before you exit your bios? My mobo also allows 2-user saves so in case the main bios info gets erased all I need to do is go into the bios again and reload it right from there, no need to readjust everything by hand. Ideally you should find a forum that deals specifically with overclocking your motherboard and I'm sure they'll have the answer (there's one for every board, believe me).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, well I am saving the changes when I leave bios but I didn't save the settings in a profile like you suggest Dave. I'll try that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,124 Posts
That won't do much except make it easier for you to reconfigure every time you come back. Try lowering your oc and see if that takes. Like I said, find a forum with Google specific to your motherboard. There are so many of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know but still nothing else was working so it was worth a try. I am going to try another forum but this is the only av one I belong to for now besides for my GPU. It's just that its not that deep of an overclocking question really. When I say reset I don't mean the oc wont take, it boots up fine every time. It just seems to reset the FSB and ram values after I leave the bios. All other settings I change, including voltages for everything, stay at what I set them for. I am just wondering what would make specific bios settings reset like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpokes85 /forum/post/18192249


Yes I know but still nothing else was working so it was worth a try. I am going to try another forum but this is the only av one I belong to for now besides for my GPU. It's just that its not that deep of an overclocking question really. When I say reset I don't mean the oc wont take, it boots up fine every time. It just seems to reset the FSB and ram values after I leave the bios. All other settings I change, including voltages for everything, stay at what I set them for. I am just wondering what would make specific bios settings reset like that.

that sounds bizarre. What happens if you just try a very small overclock on the FSB?


Also, I'd suggest updating your BIOS to the latest revision (in case you haven't already)


ps. you didn't tell us the make/model of your mobo. If by chance it happens to be Intel, then it may not actually offer any ability to overclock the CPU at all.


double edit: I see you mentioned the asus p5n-e in your other thread, so I assume that's the mobo, which should definately allow overclocking. strange times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol yea its the Asus p5n-e mobo. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Yea I used to be able to overclock with it then after a while it got finicky. Even the AI overclock doesn't work. Maybe it is the bios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I tried just doing a tiny overclock of an extra 1070 fsb and that reset also. I tried updating my bios but I run vista 64bit and none of the bios flash utilities work. I tried doing it in the setup in bios as well with a flash drive but it only looks for a floppy drive. How do I get around this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,124 Posts
I'm using an Asus P5N-D and have no problems overclocking a Q9550 to 3.4GHz. The main differences between these two boards is mine is based on the nforce 750i and the p5n-e is the 650i chip. I suggest you try here. I'd be surprised if you can't find your answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
Do you by chance have any overclocking tools installed to your computer that allow you to control FSB? The program may be overriding your BIOS settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about that, and I got rid of every trace of nvidia ntune i used to have on the system, but still no dice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpokes85 /forum/post/18201326


I thought about that, and I got rid of every trace of nvidia ntune i used to have on the system, but still no dice

Well. You could attempt to isolate it as a mobo/bios issue vs OS issue by overclocking then booting into a linux live cd rather then windows. Just to see if any remnants of that software stuck around and is causing trouble.


A quick peruse of overlock.net shows many other people with successful results on the Asus P5N-D and Q6600... however they did mention a BIOS update was necessary.


The only other thing I can think of is that you are hitting heat thresholds and causing BIOS to reset the overclock... however as the 1mhz increase didn't hold, i doubt this is the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
HI

I'm having the same problem on the P5N-E SLI with a Q6600 which has only just started happening recently. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could shed any light on what might be the problem as I have already tried the things already on this thread. I used to be able to get a decent overclock with this chip and board but recently It started to reset. What should I do?


Pezzer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Never had any issues with the P5N-E in my testing at work, but some ASUS boards have a safe guard that'll reset the BIOS after a failed post.


By modern standards the Q6600 isn't much to shout about though, it won't be able to push a 5970 anywhere near its full potential.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top