AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know whether I should use bus speed or core voltage or both?

I searched www.tomshardware.com but could only find such a "tabe" for celeron processors.

Has anyone accomplished this?

Stability is of the utmost concern.

(using ASUS CUV4X with latest bios : 1009)

·
Registered
629 Posts
The problem with the chip that you have, is that it's bus is allready at 133MHz (7x133 = 933). Since P3's multiplier can't be changed from 7, the only way to overclock is by increasing the bus. Since the chip architecture is designed for a top speed of 133 (which it's allready at), you're going to have a hard time going over 133. The motherboard must allow bus speeds higher than 133, which allot do, but more importantly, the AGP/PCI bus must remian close to it's specs. Going over 133 will push the PCI and AGP more and more out of spec.

You could probably push your bus up to 145 or so, but that would push the PCI to 36MHz using a 1/4 divider (from its intended 33) and the AGP to 72.5MHz if you have a 1/2 divder - and a whopping 97MHz if you have a 2/3 divider. AGP is supposed to run at 66MHz.

Since most new motherboards support asyncronous bus/memory, you don't need to really worry about your memory keeping up to whatever your bus is set to.

If you plan on overclocking in the future, you should make sure that you have enough headroom with the front side bus. For example, I bought a P3 700 (100MHz bus) and simply upped the bus to 133 to give me 933MHz. If you're allready at 133, you simply don't have enough overclocking headroom. Not all chips come with both 100/133 versions. The 933 is one such chip - It only comes in a 133MHz bus. The P3 800MHz however comes in both flaovors - 8x100 and 6x133 = 800MHz. Since multipliers are fixed to prevent the ease of overclocking, the bus is the only means.

If you're looking for stability, I wouldn't overclock that chip at all. Intel's fastest reliable P3 is only 1GHz - Which isnt much more than the 933 you allready have.

Good luck,

-Ryan Dinan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.