AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to overclock my HTPC, but I'm not sure how...maybe than means I should leave it alone??? but thats no fun.

I have the following components, if anyone could help or point me in the right direction for instructions I'd greatly appreicate it.

Asus Maximus II Formula - the board has auto overclocking but I know you get better results doing it manually.

Intel Q6600

Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your best option will be to visit http://www.overclock.net/ . There have been numerous threads dedicated to that setup that will help alot. Good info to learn too. READ, READ, READ and understand what you are doing before doing it.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
You may want to keep your Intel Core 2 Quad processor at stock settings for HTPC use.

Generally, overclocking is achieved by raising the clock multiplier and possibly CPU/RAM voltage too which in turn increases heat generation which requires the CPU and case fans to turn faster producing more noise. Noise is the number one unwanted characteristic in a HTPC. Mild overclocking is generally harmless but extreme overclocking makes the system unstable and stresses RAM, northbridge chipset and the CPU. You could probably get a 10% OC on stock voltage and still have a stable system... but what are you going to do with that 10%?

I can't imagine the need to OC a 6600 Core 2 Quad processor for a HTPC?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Most Intel CPUS are multiplier locked, so you cant adjust it upward.

However most of the newer Intel's will fsb overclock very easily. My Q6600 ran at 3.0 right out of the box at stock voltage. Simply set the fsb to 333.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadalucco /forum/post/14260712

I'd like to overclock my HTPC, but I'm not sure how...maybe than means I should leave it alone???

First find some basic overclocking guides, e.g., http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647 .

Then, search on overclocking forums (e.g., [H] , Xtremesystems , etc.) for more specific information on your motherboard/CPU combo if you run into problems.

The Q6600 is one of the most popular overclocking CPUs so you're sure to find tons of specific information.

Don't just tinker if you don't know what you're doing, because you can destabilize your system and corrupt your OS.

As a reference, I run my Q6600 conservatively at 8x400 and (around) 1.3625v. This is an easy goal for a Q6600 and you will see a 33% CPU speed gain and possibly an additional FSB/memory boost depending on your motherboard and configuration.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You already have a bomb to kill a little bug, you dont need a bigger bomb...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/14261531

I can't imagine the need to OC a 6600 Core 2 Quad processor for a HTPC?

Video encoding and background tasks can use the extra CPU power.

Also, a faster CPU will be more responsive even if it's not pegged at 100% all the time.

When I take my 8x400 Q6600 back down to stock 9x266 the whole OS feels sluggish, it's very noticeable even when the CPU is 95%+ idle.

The Q6600 is a gem for overclocking; the only reasons NOT to do it are (a) if you're trying to conserve power/lower heat output or (b) you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/14262155

For some reason I can't get my Q6600 over 2.6Ghz. It's a G0, too.

Then either you have the worst G0 on Earth or something else is holding you back (insufficient voltage, temps too high, motherboard doesn't like the FSB, memory clocked too high, etc.).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hehe, I overclocked my E8400 to 3.6ghz... it's running with a fanless Scythe Ninja Mini setup... no real problems with heat or anything. ;o

·
Registered
30 Posts
Q6600 is a great overclocker. 3.2ghz is a good goal for minimal hassle. Most can run 3.3-3.5 on a half decent air cooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts