AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small bedroom, and want to change my sub for a bigger one, and need advice, its for a 2.1 channel setup. At the moment i have my energy take FPS series speakers hooked up to my Pioneer vsx-1016 reciever, the high/mids are great on these speakers, but theres not really much punch in terms of bass. So i added a velodyne CHT-8 subwoofer, which is great, but i think i want to step it up a bit and go for the CHT-12 now, even though i think its overkill for my bedroom which is 10ft x 9ft x 8ft height. Is there such a thing as too big when it comes to subwoofers, comparing the 2, the one i have right now goes as low as 35hz, whereas the 12" will get to 24hz.....will i notice a much better punchier sound, as right now mine is a little boomy, being a small room, would this be a bit much, and overpower my fronts?

Please help out as i can return my 8" for the 12" if you guys reccomend it.

Specs:

Velodyne comparison chart (my 8" against the 12" sub i want)

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...ecs/cht_r.html

My current front speakers

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...age.php?id=33#

· Registered
3,644 Posts
No such thing as overkill my firend, unless space is an issue. Just turn the gain down if it becomes too much.

There's always a benefit to having a more powerful sub, there's more headroom if you need it.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
plus the fact that the bigger sub will produce LESS distortion with the same output as a smaller sub from the same series.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree with both responses. While one can have too much bass, one cannot have too much sub.

Bill

· Registered
4,854 Posts
If for music, perhaps you would prefer a sealed sub?

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, i made the choice and opted for the Bigger and better sub, man is it HUGE in my room, have to study all day today so wont be able to test though
, and man do i want to test it, this thing is a monster, ill let you guys know how i get on.

I bought a rca-2rca sub cable aswell, and was told that going subwoofer pre-out(1rca) on the reciever, and using both inputs on the Sub(2rca),will give me better bass???.....is this true?, either way i need a sub cable, and it was free, with the already major discounted price so let me know what you guys have to say.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Using both inputs provides 3 dB more gain, but that only means that you dial down the sub volume by 3 dB to get the same output. It doesn't that the sub can play any louder maxed out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.