AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I can't believe it. This is something we've literally been begging ATI for since day one. I'm downloading it now...

Steve

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Can users posts whether the controls drift when you play a DVD?

Previous versions would do this: everytime you play a DVD the brightness tab would drop 1 notch, regardless of the player being used.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks I installed PowerDVD and I could access the video overlay. However after I installed the new ati video drivers the ati player would not work. It said it could not access the video overlay, or that there wasn't enough video memory, I have 32 meg I tried lowering the resolution and that did not help. I installed DirectX8 and that did not help. PowerDVD which wouldn't run on my system before would always crash now works fine with the new ATI video drivers and the video overlay controls work great but their own player won't work anymore. I tried uninstalling the ATI Player and reinstalling but that did not help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
The controls don't drift, however the DVD player slider settings override the settings in the Overlay box. (Actually the controls move in response to the player controls.)

What I did was to use the settings available in WinDVD 2.8(Brightness, Gamma, and Saturation and set those to where I wanted them, then use the remaining controls (Contrast and Tint) from the Overlay panel.

I wonder if the Zoom player wouldn't be the perfect (and free) solution (in conjunction with the 7199 drivers) to a great HTPC DVD experience?

Picture quality with WinDVD 2.8 is excellent!

Vern Dias

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Vern:

With this new ATI driver breakthrough you could get Zoom player for gratis and load the WinDVD audio filters for DTS/DD passthru and then load the Ravisent video decoder for the best PQ and control the gamma and other color features through the Windows display panel. In essence, you woul dhave the exact same capability as TheaterTek without paying or waiting.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Has anybody tested these new drivers to see if they've fixed the problem with interlaced resolutions and the overlay? As far as I know, 7093 was the last driver version to support interlaced overlays, which is really a shame because no matter how good the new DXVA stuff is, it's still not going to be as good as the older filters and drivers running at 1080i.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just got done spending the night rebuilding my system after trying to install the 7199 drivers.

I first deleted the old ATI 7093 drivers and brought my computer up in VGA mode. Tried installing the 7199's using the SETUP.EXE, but it first complained that the driver was not authorized or "signed" by microsoft to be compatable with Win ME and that I should not install it, though I installed the "Win ME" drivers. I proceeded anyway and then it tried to copy an .inf file with an older date than the one I already had. I proceeded to keep the one I had (I later installing the older dated file with same results).

It was downhill from there as Windows would not display on my flat panel (the one I use instead of my projector at times like this). I had to load the standard VGA driver to recover but it could not even do that. I don't know how many times I had to go into Safe mode to access the desktop. Every time I tried deleting the new drivers and going back to the 7093's it complained I needed a VGA driver to start with. I thought I was in an endless loop. I finally got out of it by fooling Windows and updating the bad drivers with the good (7093) driver files, answering "no" to the older date question on many of them. I finally had to struggle to get PS3 working again - I created a new pstrip.ini which did the trick. I think I'm back to normal again finally.

I knew this driver sounded too good to be true. :(

Carey

·
Registered
82 Posts
It seems that Carey had problems installing these drivers with the clean-install method. Has anybody else had difficulties with installation? I would like to install them this afternoon (when I get home from work), but I would like to be aware of any possible pitfalls with installation on win98se...

PS: A bit OT, but do these drivers include the much ballyhooed Quake3 changes (and can these be tweaked/removed via the registry)?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I nstalled the 7199 drivers yesterday and it was a breeze. In addition, I also found that they do accept custom resolution and grant the most significant thing to happen in this industry in the last year which is to take the color control panel out of the player and put it into the Windows Display panel. Now, you can experiment with any SW DVD player whether it has gamma control or not because you've got it in the universal settings box. This is a major breakthrough in further refining the players of choice for people so they don't have to mix and match.

I have Win98SE.

·
Registered
568 Posts
All,

I'm trying to find time to install/play with the 7199 drivers myself (from 7093 on a Win98se OS) but now that the color controls can be had in the Windows Display Panels, what do we do with the ATI 4.1 0IRE registry patch? If I keep the 0IRE patch what would be the best settings from the Display panel that would give me the same, desired PQ...

Thanks,

jidelite

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Did any of you do a clean install or did you just click on "Update Driver" from the Device Manager? And no complaints about installing an older .inf file?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Carey:

I just downloaded it, unzipped it and clicked set up and it took out the previous ATI driver and installed the 7199. Clean as a whistle with no extra steps.

MM

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I removed the old drivers from the "add/remove" control panel, rebooted and ran setup on the new ones.

No problem, but I did have to re-add my custom resolution back into the registry.

(Win98SE)

Vern

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.