AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when I input a high resolution picture into the overlay the colors are wrong. It happens when you play HDTV material or when you resize with ffdshow and input the picture to overlay. On native DVD resolution input everything is OK. Also VMR9 seems to be OK.

I tested it with a german test disc (Peter Finzel) which has magenta/green color bursts on it. Also I made my own HD color burst test streams in MPEG2. It showed the same wrong colors. I also tested it with HDTV movies and switched with alt+tab between screenshot, overlay and VMR9. The effect is clearly visible. Red gets an orange touch I think.

I don't know if I can describe the effect good enough. Green is way too dark in the bursts compared to the original bitmap picture. Magenta seems to differ not so much.

Please test yourself:

Original bitmap test patterns
self made HD test pattern in 1920x1088

Hardware I tested with (3 different PC's with different drivers from Catalyst 3.4 to 4.1):

Radeon 7500 AiW

Radeon 9700 AiW

Radeon 9500

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are you using the stock overlay color settings in the advanced display control panel? Have you adjusted any of them?

From reading the color values, it looks like the red offset and gain are a bit high, while the green offset is high with a lower gain, and the green offset is low with a higher gain.

From looking at my VE's adjustments, there isn't a way to easily adjust this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For me it seems the saturation is raised in overlay mode by 12-14%, dunno what ati drivers settings are but for nvidia cards the latest drivers have a PRESET of 112% build in not 100%. But u can change that back. Maybe ATI also has some saturation preset wich is not 100%.

Problem is that these settings dont apply to all renders for nvidia the color settings just apply for the vmr7 and overlay mixer not vmr9. For vmr9 u need a player wich can correct set the vmr9 stuff or u need register the proppage.dll from dxsdk to access the vmr9 preamp color settings direct. So for nvidia we have the same results with the latest drivers. Aka overlay is 112% if u dont set it to 100% at driver pannels and vmr9 is 100% by default.

Funny thing is that even the org. whql nvidia driver cant correct adjust the vmr9 color's, and in the new driver there is an extra "overlay/vmr"color adjust pannel....

Try this. Use zoomplayer with color controls enabled and try fetch the actual overlay and vmr settings than compare both. Try use the "reset" to default button too.

good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@AndyIEG

I already tried the color controls, but this seems not to be a simple saturation problem, since the saturation slider doesn't correct this difference the right way.

It is weird that this problem occurs only if high resolution input goes into the overlay.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Doesn't HDTV use different color space than NTSC and/or PAL? Did you try to adjust color space with Powerstrip? I remember that Powerstrip had color space adjustments for monitors where you could load different gamma maps. Unfortunately I do not use Powerstrip any more so can not help you with more specific suggestions.

Also, Catalyst should have "enable HDTV modes" or similar option. Was that turned on? You can access this adjustment either using Rage3D tweak tool (with advanced settings on), or do adjustment directly in the registry (value 1 instead of 0).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@vpopovic
Quote:
Doesn't HDTV use different color space than NTSC and/or PAL? Did you try to adjust color space with Powerstrip?
Yes, HDTV uses a different color space. But Powerstrip only affects the desktop and VRM, not the overlay.

I also wondered if ATI maybe implemented a different color conversion fixed on hi-res input for HDTV material...

This would explain why the overlay color controls cannot compansate the effect, because a different color space uses different primaries.

Quote:
Also, Catalyst should have "enable HDTV modes" or similar option. Was that turned on?
I tried this, but it didn't help. I think these are options for the external HDTV dongle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
FoLLgoTT,

I have done exstensive testing on my Radeon using Overlay vs. VMR7 vs. VMR9 with an HD mpeg2 clip (made myself by converting a .TS of the PBS HD signal tests) and I do not have any of the issues you are describing.

With that being said, based upon your pictures, something is clearly going on with your system. I wonder if you have an errant filter installed that could be causing this. You mentioned you used different PC's & different cards, but how about the software loads. What player were you using? What filter's are installed? Which Codec was enabled? Can you post your graphedit?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@orbitzboy

I tested it with WinDVD, Sonic and Elecard (so with and without DXVA) with Zoom Player. I had several different Catalyst versions (3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.10, 4.1). I used DirectX 9.0b on Windows XP SP1. Every filter works flawlessly.

I saw it on 4 different PC's (one owned by a friend) with 4 different Radeons with different resolutions (1280x960, 1440x864, 1920x1088 etc):

Radeon 7500 AiW

Radeon 9500

Radeon 9700 AiW

Radeon 9500 MP1

Can you describe your system exactly? And can you post your test stream?

I know the differences are very subtle, on my color filtered Sony 1292 it is clearly visible. On the non filtered Barco 1208/2 of a friend the difference was not so strong, but also visible. My 22 Iiyama monitor also shows it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy
FoLLgoTT,

I have done exstensive testing on my Radeon using Overlay vs. VMR7 vs. VMR9 with an HD mpeg2 clip (made myself by converting a .TS of the PBS HD signal tests) and I do not have any of the issues you are describing.

can you post a link to this clip somewhere? :confused:

:cool:

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
same problem here, using radeon 9600 pro with cat 3.4 on xp machine with overlay

no hdtv card in my htpc but in zoom player with windvd and ffdshow, only when activating ffdshow does the green show a minus 20% in the avia color decoder check, it quite simply goes away by unchecking the ffdshow filter in zoom as comes back as soon as you put the filter back in

i have been trying to figure this on out for months

i assume it's either ffdshow mucking with the image or the radeon getting a higher resolution image and something going wrong there, i use ffdshow resize to 1440 X 960 and output 1440 X 540p

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I can exactly describe the phenomenon. I measured it directly from screen (used color test patterns).

Green has a lower saturation on hires input to overlay. It is just too dark! As a conseqence the neighbour colors cyan and yellow are also affected.

The bug only affects the chroma channel. If there is only the luma channel everything is fine.

I mailed ATI about this...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ATI mailed me that I should try the card in another PC... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that standard answer! I already tried it with 4 different Radeons in 4 different PC's (not only mine) with completely different driver versions!

But I found out another thing with ffdshow resizing:

The "green saturation bug" only occurs with a vertical input resolution equal to 720 and above.

The horizontal resolution is completely irrelevant!

This is interesting, because the small HDTV resolution is 720p...:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.