AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me the differences in video between (these are the zoomplayer options) Overlay Vs VRM9 windowed Vs VRM9 windowless and the effect the Hardware Accel has on the three? I have a Raedon 9500 pro connected through AA transcoder to a Hitachi 53" RPTV. I'm trying to decide which is the proper setting. I'm using Cinemaster DVD Decoder pack and Powerstrip with Catalyst 3.6. Thanks. Drew

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Concerning HD transport streams, VRM9 is broken with all Catalyst drivers and DX9...and Overlay only works with Catalyst 3.4 and earlier. There is a tearing problem with VRM9 and the Overlay just doesn't show up.

Concerning DVD, I'm not sure what the differences are. I have been most pleased with Catalyst 3.4/Overlay/Hardware Accel - DXVA disabled.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm most interested in DVD playback. Any more info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There is a scaling bug that causes a loss of resolution with VMR9 when you upconvert material. This bug offsets any improvements you typically would make scaling video to HD resolutions, or so I've heard.

However, I play WM9 HD material in Windows Media Player using VMR9 as my renderer and it looks fantastic. Granted, I'm using 1920x1080i material and outputting just that.

Windows overlay also has a problem when it comes to HD material and interlaced resolutions -- It samples the 1080i/p video at 540p and then generates a 1080i interlaced field from that 540p sample. This effectively halves your resolution when using Windows Overlay to display interlaced resolutions with HD sources. However, this doesn't hurt your upconversion to, say, 960i from a DVD source, as no actual resolution is lost in the process.

Also, interlaced Windows Overlay only works with Catalyst 3.4 and 3.7. Prior to that, only a very old driverset with an older card and Windows 98 will work with interlaced resolutions, and then still not with HD sources.

I have a Radeon 9600 and Windows XP. I use Catalyst 3.4. I use Windows Media Player with VMR9 for HD WM9 content (like the T2:EE DVD), so the scaling bug is not an issue. I use Windows Overlay and TheaterTek for DVD playback at 1440x960i. That way, the half-res progressive sampling isn't an issue.

I could be mistaken on one or two things. I don't understand the VMR scaling bug 100%, but I'm pretty sure I'm golden the way I'm set up. Everything certainly looks good.

Dan

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
VMR9 is video renderer that uses 3D portion of your video card to generate video image. Overlay mixer is video renderer that uses dedicated hardware in your video card to generate video image (actually the list of the hardware support is quite extensive - in ZP go to "filter properties" and then to "overlay mixer" and you will see couple a tab that will tell you what hardware support overlay uses). Overlay generates video image as pixels while VMR9 generates video image as "2D polygons" and then converts them to pixels. Theoretically VMR9 should yield better result as you get the full power of 3D engine vs. only dedicated hardware support for overlay. If you want more info on VMR9 see the following link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=VMR9

Practically, VMR9 results greatly vary based on your system and it appears that on most systems VMR9 causes one sort of problems or another. I personally use VMR9 and have little problems with it, and on my system it is clear that VMR9 produces better PQ. No tearing on new DVDs and every now and then I do get tearing on old DVDs (2-5 times for the whole movie). I use ATI 9800 Pro via DVI to Samsung DLP monitor. I used all catalyst drivers starting from 3.3 to current 3.7 and all were OK except for 3.6 that gave me blue screen of death and had to re-install my XP Pro. General comment is that I believe 3.7 drivers produce slightly better PQ than before in VMR9 mode. Probably better implementation of 2D rendering in 3D engine that was overall "pumped up". Also note that I have slightly different hardware than you do and impact on your system might be completely different. I think one of the primary objectives of new drivers was to pump up 9800 Pro performance vs. Nvidia FX 5900. However, I never stored any images taken with previous drivers for scientific comparison.

Sometimes VMR9 does not like the V-sync to be turned on in Catalyst drivers, so you might want to see if this helps. In my case there is no case of "scaling bug". VMR9 could rescale signals of certain resolutions so that some of the resolution is lost in upconversion, but I never heard that to be true with DVD resolution. All the test patterns I ran (Video Essential, and Digital Video Essentials) indicated that no resolution was lost (compared to overlay). That being said, I never tried interlaced resolutions that you will probably use for your set up and also do not know how ATI cards now work with interlaced resolutions. I heard there is a lots of problems on two display set-up with interlace. Another annoying thing about VMR9 is lack of video processing controls (i.e. brightness, contrast etc.).

Hardware acceleration is the process where dedicated parts of your video card are assisting in de-interlacing video material and putting together progressive image (i.e. going from 480i to 480p). This is generally good feature if your CPU does not have enough power to complete this process in software mode. Most people agree that Sonic filters give you better PQ in software mode, me included. Therefore I would turn hardware acceleration off. To the best of my knowledge, hardware acceleration and VMR9 do not interact at all i.e. you can do VMR9 with or without hardware acceleration and hardware acceleration with VMR9 or overlay. I do VMR9 without hardware acceleration, except on very few old DVDs that give me problems in full software mode (very improperly flagged DVDs like e.g. Easy Rider that just keeps hanging in full software mode as opposed to just hick-ups with h/a).

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.