AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to get some good sound in the bedroom where I have a 50" wall mount LCD angled down a bit toward the bed. I'd say mlp is about 12' away. I'm not looking for reference, but I can't do a sub. So I was thinking to buy two of the diysg Overnight Sensation kits. The TV is 6" from the wall. The os are 8.5" deep before I mount them to the wall, they would be another inch out from the wall minimum. I don't think they'll pass WAF sticking out that far. Can I cut the kit panels down to make a less deep box and give up some bass? or should I use the baffle and put it on top of a home made box that is like 6w x 14h x 5d?

Was thinking to use a lepai amp and connect it to the TV headphone jack so I can control volume from the TV.

·
Registered
121 Posts
SS shallow Sensations

I've built a full theater set of OS MTMs and love them for our small room. I changed a few things to fit our needs due to room layout. I hope it gives you some ideas. The side surround speakers fire from both horizontal and vertical, gives a very full sound and not a pinpoint source. 14"x7"x5". Hung tight on wall with sawtooth picture hanger screwed onto the back of speaker, #8 drywall screw into the 2x6 plate at ceiling, I could have screwed the #8 screw into a stud instead if I'd wanted the speaker lower, but I needed to match the one on the opposite wall above the windows. Louder than I want to listen to in a 14'x18' room with 9' ceilings. Happy, Happy , Happy
Ron

Port is on the SIDE of the boxes, no chuffing noise at all and the port does NOT add much (if anything) to the dBs. Great little drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've built a full theater set of OS MTMs and love them for our small room. I changed a few things to fit our needs due to room layout. I hope it gives you some ideas. The side surround speakers fire from both horizontal and vertical, gives a very full sound and not a pinpoint source. 14"x7"x5". Hung tight on wall with sawtooth picture hanger screwed onto the back of speaker, #8 drywall screw into the 2x6 plate at ceiling, I could have screwed the #8 screw into a stud instead if I'd wanted the speaker lower, but I needed to match the one on the opposite wall above the windows. Louder than I want to listen to in a 14'x18' room with 9' ceilings. Happy, Happy , Happy
Ron

Port is on the SIDE of the boxes, no chuffing noise at all and the port does NOT add much (if anything) to the dBs. Great little drivers.
Wow those look awesome!! Very cool! It looks like you have two TM in one box, on different sides sharing the same volume? is that right?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're going to be painting the boxes and building your own, I've got some B-stock Overnight Sensation front panels that you can have for free.

If you're running a subwoofer you might be able to get away with a sealed enclosure on those, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks Erich, I appreciate that! I'll definitely be painting them black or dark gray to blend in with the wall and TV (TV is like titanium color and wall is dark brown/gray). Not sure on the box design yet, I just know it's gotta be shallow so far.

My sub's are rockin BTW, thanks again for the flat packs!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Corridizo,
The boxes that have the 2 woofers and 2 tweeters are driven by the same surround side channel. The Xover is a the same as a MTM and the tweeters are run in parallel. The impedance is 4.0 Ohms for the MTM and 3.8 for my "twin" speaker. I don't have any trouble driving them but some may if they really crank up the volume to clipping levels. Voices are crisp and clean, firearm reports sound real and helicopters circle the ceiling is an amazing sound on DVDs with ATMOS.
They sound way better than they have any right to for their price.
Ron

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look excellent! I think I will take back the "no sub" comment I made before. I found a perfect spot for a modest sub in the bedroom - hidden behind the couch. If I get a 2.1 amp I can still hook into the TV via the headphone jack. So, I think the OS or the Helium will work. Cost is about the same. I can't decide.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you're running a subwoofer you might be able to get away with a sealed enclosure on those, but I'm not 100% sure.

FWIW, I have a pair of OSs on my desk, crossed to a sub, and I ended up plugging the ports on them. In my application, the desk is against a wall, so I had a little too much boundary gain. It is easier to stuff a port than it is to add one after the box is finished.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so i did some mocking up last night because i'm crazy and Sketchup is fun.

On the left is the recommendation @niktak11 made and on the right is what i was thinking. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some ideas. Second one form the left is the Helium, has an F3 of 80hz so i'd need a sub. The others are flavors of the OS as previously stated 14T x 6w x 5d. I'm going to let the wife choose. Cost is the same, except with the helium i could grab the .04 cuft flatpack from PE and just cut the holes in them. Heck i may build the OS's too to replace my in-walls!!! What do you like best?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Here are some ideas. Second one form the left is the Helium, has an F3 of 80hz so i'd need a sub. The others are flavors of the OS as previously stated 14T x 6w x 5d. I'm going to let the wife choose. Cost is the same, except with the helium i could grab the .04 cuft flatpack from PE and just cut the holes in them. Heck i may build the OS's too to replace my in-walls!!! What do you like best?
What do I like best?

Proably the OS w/centered baffle and add a sealed 12" sub. Possibly even sneak a "thin" sub underneath the dresser.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts