AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some issues with Overscanning on my XBR970. I bought this earlier today for $300 dollars open box. I spent a few hours calibrating everything, and it looks incredible. Only problem is when playing Xbox360 the left side the screen seems to be too far to the left.

I understand that I have to enter the service menu to fix it, and I am aware of which settings. Though, I have to use a universal remote since this was an open box. Is there a trick to navigating the service menu or is my remote the problem?

·
Registered
674 Posts
LOL join the club. same with my set. The left side had barely any of the blade visible in the dashboard. It was a pain to fix everything but i got it now. I don't mean to sound like a teacher and tell you to do your homework, but check out the official xbr970 topic. NOT from the first page tho! start on the last and go to previous pages.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Actually it may not even be a pain for you if you just have to lower the horizontal size and your picture is ok. Unless your set it like mine and the picture is still cut off even when lowering, or it's not centered right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the entire official thread. Maybe I missed the post, but I didn't see anyone explaining how to naviage the service menu. I changed a few settings on accidents and I have no idea how to return to them or even what I changed. I don't want to screw with it anymore until I am absolutely sure I know what I am doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I have most of my settings that I want. I was a little concerned reducing the horizontal size so drastically. It was cutting off about 2 inches to the left and nearly 5 on the right. I didn't mess with the HCNT settings for fear of messing something up.

My only problem now, is how do I save these settings? Everytime I turn the TV off everything resets.

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious1080 /forum/post/0

Alright, I have most of my settings that I want. I was a little concerned reducing the horizontal size so drastically. It was cutting off about 2 inches to the left and nearly 5 on the right. I didn't mess with the HCNT settings for fear of messing something up.

My only problem now, is how do I save these settings? Everytime I turn the TV off everything resets.

Ok first of all if you play with settings and don't remember where they were. STOP! Turn the set off, enter the service code and turn the set back on and everything will be back to normal as long as you didn't save anything. It's a good practice to do this procedure every time you are ready to save a setting. Why? Because while searching for that setting you could have accidentaly hit the wrong key and adjusted something else, or set something back to the improper value while playing around with settings you know nothing about. Don't ever save a value into the tv after "siffting" through the adjustments and changing them just to see the way they effect the image. When you are ready to adjust a value, enter service mode and go right to the adjustment and adjust, and save it.

How to save an adjustment: Press MUTE then ENTER

When you press mute, you will se the word "WRITE" appear on the upper right hand side of the display. Within a few seconds press ENTER and WRITE will be displayed in RED for about 2 seconds and go back to displaying "SERVICE". There are some settings that do not stick even after saving because some are for testing purposes and others I'm not sure why, but the vast majority are able to be saved.

Write down current values before changing a setting. Keep a record of one sheet or set of sheets explaining exactly what the adjustment was and what picture mode it was in, resolution it was in, and source it was in. Example:

VIDEO 5---FULL MODE---480P

MID2

DHHP 57

DHHS 183

DHVP 28

DHVS 60

You can chose to go through all the service modes and record them for each, or just record them as you change them which is alot easier. Once you get the settings you like, write those down as well for reference. DO NOT record current settings on whatever is available like a napkin or paper plate. Keep clean documentation and store in a safe place where you can always find it. You will very likely need this reference sheet often since you are likely to adjust something that effects not only your current source, but may effect other inputs or even all input types. Take all these extra precautions and you will never end up like some of the guys on this forum screeming desperately for help after they screwed their display up and have no idea what was adjusted and have no way to back track their settings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I have the overscan to my liking adjusting only the VPOS, VSIZ, HPOS, and HSIZ. The geometry is a bit off with circles(almost look like a "wavy" circle but not too big of a deal. I adjusted it in Video 4 full mode in 1080i. Does that mean only Video 4 in 1080i and fullmode will have those settings?

I really love the picture quality of this TV. I have brightness at 72 and picture at 65 for the xbox 360. My settings seem high compared to others, but I find I literally can not see in a lot of games if it is set any lower. Will this cause the TV to age faster? It was already sitting on the CC floor running in vivid mode 24/7 for 4 months. (grabbed it for $300 cash).

Thanks for the help, and this truly is an incredible TV. I have seen some TVs that rival the picture quality and have much better geometry. SXRDs are a great example. I have a 50' sammy in my living room that looks incredible as well. Somehow, this TV manages to look the best when properly calibrated and not have any detectable amount of input lag.(my main selling point)

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I have the overscan to my liking adjusting only the VPOS, VSIZ, HPOS, and HSIZ. The geometry is a bit off with circles(almost look like a "wavy" circle but not too big of a deal. I adjusted it in Video 4 full mode in 1080i. Does that mean only Video 4 in 1080i and fullmode will have those settings?

I really love the picture quality of this TV. I have brightness at 72 and picture at 65 for the xbox 360. My settings seem high compared to others, but I find I literally can not see in a lot of games if it is set any lower. Will this cause the TV to age faster? It was already sitting on the CC floor running in vivid mode 24/7 for 4 months. (grabbed it for $300 cash).

Ok, VPOS, VSIZ, HPOS, and HSIZ are global adjustments which means it will effect every input source, in every resolution, in every picture mode. If you are wanting to adjust one input type, you need to adjust the MID2 adjustments which are DHHP (horizontal position), DHHS(horizontal size), DHVP(vertical position), and DHVS(vertical size). These effect input types individualy. Notice I said input TYPES. Both component inputs will share the same values, all S-video inputs will be the same values. The tuner will be separate values as will the HDMI input since there is only one of each. So if you adjusta MID2 adjustment in VIDEO 4, you will be changing VIDEO 5 as well. If you change VIDEO 1, you will change VIDEO 2 and 3 as well. MID2 adjustments will allow you to adjust picture size and position for each resolution. I believe that picture modes full and zoom share the same values. Widezoom and normal each have their separate values. Record, observe, experiment, set, then save. Experiment all you want, but don't save until you really really mean it.

About the excessive aging of the picture tube, I think flat TV has been around long enough to where people are forgetting that tube TVs don't show any serious signs of wear untill about 7 years of almost 24/7 use. My 27" Trinitron has been used for over 5 years with average everyday usage and is set to what alot of people may consider to be torch mode and hasn't lost any pic quality or brightness. Those 4 months did nothing to that TV. If anything they broke in the TV for you. Most defects are discovered in the first few months. If it's still going after 4 months, it's usually a keeper. And for 300 bucks, there is no room left for complaints......not even over a scratch(unless it's on the glass tube).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. One more question, I am having problems with my geometry now.(Problem was always there, just I can notice it more now that the 6 inches I couldn't see are there now). Straight lines and circles are not straight. Circles have "bumps" in them, straight lines arch a bit in the center and then dip down more as they go farther left.

Is this a standard limitation for CRTS? I suppose I can live with it, just very annoying if anything is letterboxed or if there are any circles(Portraits, radars, etc).

And also, if I ever decide to bring an ISF calibrator out here, could he get all the geometry semi-accurate>

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good to see you got your overscan fixed! Just so you know( learned the hard way) messing with the vertical settings in mid columns WILL compromise your picture quality.

from kentech

"In the MID1-3 groups, be sure to get the values for width and especially height exactly right, as these values control (as I have discovered) the precise sampling of the video for display. Get the vertical ones wrong, and the image quality will be compromised! There are exact ratios between the particular video-line count and the internal digital representation of that video that have to be maintained.

The critical values are DHAR, DVAR, MDHS, and MDVS in MID1; in MID2, DRHS and DRVS (if relevant); and in MID3, VDHS and VDVS. The correct numbers are the ones in the data tables"

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the help. One more question, I am having problems with my geometry now.(Problem was always there, just I can notice it more now that the 6 inches I couldn't see are there now). Straight lines and circles are not straight. Circles have "bumps" in them, straight lines arch a bit in the center and then dip down more as they go farther left.

Is this a standard limitation for CRTS? I suppose I can live with it, just very annoying if anything is letterboxed or if there are any circles(Portraits, radars, etc).

And also, if I ever decide to bring an ISF calibrator out here, could he get all the geometry semi-accurate>

I got my geomtery as close to perfect as i can get without messing anything else up. Mine was bad, as was my overscan (10% on the left 5% on the right) I didn't feel comfortable stricking a tape measure against the screen of my TV, so i just got a few blank pieces of paper and took a little scotch tape and lined them up with TV screen. Sat back and adjusted lines to get them as straight as with the edges of the pieces of paper as possible.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I posted this pic in another topic. This is the best i was able to get my geometry. Notice there is still slight bowing especially on the top/bottom line and the line on the right/left. Also those lines should all be black, but my digi camera is dying and for some reason coloring the lines all different colors. If not i would be having some CRAZY convergecne issues if they really looked like that

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot, I managed to improve it a lot. I lower Vcen from 19 to 7. I left Vpin the same, it only seemed to make everything look funky. Problem, the left side seems to arch down more than the rest of. Is there a setting that controls the left corners?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.