AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have windows vista ultimate x64 bit edition and an 8800gtx graphics card connected to my sharp lc37d90u 1080P television through dvi.

In both 1280x720 and 1920x1080 (the tv's two native resolutions) I seem to get weird overscan effects. in 1080p the screen is merely pushed to the right about an inch, with all the left still visible. In 720p the distortion is a little whacky, it seems to push the screen to the right (all the left is again still visible) but also seems to smush the picture together a bit as well.

The strange part is this does not occur whatsoever on fullscreen resolutions. from 800x600 till 1600x1200 are all displayed and scaled perfectly. and there is no overscan anywhere even if i use the tv to stretch it to widescreen. This is getting a bit annoying as some insane games *cough* crysis *cough* would be easier to run in 720p but i dont want the screen all distorted.

also i think i should mention that vista detects my tv only as a generic PnP monitor rather than a sharp hdtv. I have the latest drivers for everything including the video card. and lastly I never had this problem on windows xp but ive had it on two vista computers (the other computer i refer to displayed 1080p fine but distorted 720p in the same fashion as the one im using now). Can someone tell me what the hecks goin on?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The answers as to why are long and complicated. Do a search for "omega drivers)", download and install. Uninstall your old drivers first. You will find many more resolutions and preconfigured settings available. They are "free" and are actually just Nvidia Drivers with some tweaks you could do yourself if you have time and know how. Give them a try. It is not VISTA that is detecting your monitor/TV it is the video card drivers. The TV is capable of displaying other resolution than 1080P or 720P. It certainly plays DVDs which are 480 and SD TV. The panel only has one native resolution. It is 1920x1080. Any panel always scales any input resolution to its native pixel resolution. 64-bit OS may be a complication as usual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts