AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this problem when I first bought my Xbox 360 a few months ago. If I hook it up via an HDMI cable, I have some overscan issues with games where it cuts off about half an inch from the sides.

Sample 1

:// i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Steelersfan7/0001.jpg

(just add the http in front cause I cant post url's yet)

But if I use the regular AV cables it came with, everything is just fine.

So today I decided to mess around with it to see if I can get it normal when using the HDMI cable. The only thing that seemed to work was using the 480p setting, but then it shrunk the screen to much. So I turned it back to 1080i.

After getting no where, I gave up and hooked up the AV cable, and noticed that the problem carried over to the AV cables when it didnt before. I could swap cables out all day and the problem wopuldnty carry over. I dont understand what I did. Everything in the settings menu is the same as it was before.

Here is another pic

:// i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Steelersfan7/0002.jpg

(just add the http in front cause I cant post url's yet)

Please help, and dont say its a TV problem, cause it was fine before when using the AV cable's.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
It's a TV problem. Not every TV handles the video input the same for HDMI and analog. It would also help if you listed what your TV's make and model is.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/14321140

It's a TV problem. Not every TV handles the video input the same for HDMI and analog. It would also help if you listed what your TV's make and model is.

I concur. my Samsung overscans some with Component, more with HDMI, and zero with VGA. I first noticed it with Bioshock, where the load screen has the gold border around it, the sides were noticeably cut off with the HDMI, and fully visible with VGA.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buco /forum/post/14321082

Please help, and dont say its a TV problem, cause it was fine before when using the AV cable's.

for starter's, it's not a "problem" at all, it's just not needed for most games. with that said, it's the fault of the tv, and nothing else...

most of the newer tv's let you set whether or not you want overscan in the menu, because it's necessary for something like cable or satellite, but not necessary for a dvd or a game. if your tv doesn't allow you to do that, than you're stuck with it, unless you feel like probing the service menu to see if there's any way to adjust it there. the only thing is if you decide to do that, and you're not familiar with the service menu, overscan will most likely be the least of your worries...

if your tv has a VGA input, than use that, because that's usually the only input that never has any type of overscan...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The reason its okay with the component video connection is because *all* displays overscan it so the 360 can reliably compensate. HD displays (analog or digital) are not *supposed* to overscan at all, though; it is the manufacturer's fault for stupidly adding a "feature" that is not needed and nobody wants, out of sheer bad habit.

Recent vintage displays allow you to switch it off and on but the smartest thing would be to simply not do it at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts