AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 42H81. My main sources for the display are a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player, a Samsung T151 digital tuner, and a Sony Playstation 2.

Originally, I was happy with where the overscan settings were at. However, over the last couple months I started to notice that when watching TV with the T151, it seemed that the picture was overscanning too much. I believe this to be a result of the output from the Samsung being 1080i. The reason I believe this is that when I watched faux widescreen, I'd set the output to 480p and the overscan was much less. Is it true that 1080i would create a larger picture and then create more overscan?

Well, I grew tired of not seeing enough of the picture, so I made some adjustments based on the Samsung tuner 1080i output. I was happy with it for a few days. DVD's looked fine also. However, I played some PS2 (Madden football) today and I now have major underscan. So much so, that I can see black bars all the way around the picture. I realize that videogames underscan more than other sources to make sure all material is seen, but this is too much.

My main question is what is the best tradeoff for overscan settings? Should I use AVIA on my DVD player? Is it bad to have my PS2 setup with so much underscan? Is it possilbe to have different settings for different inputs?

Thanks for the replies.

Damon

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I have confirmed that 480p(i) signals are a smaller picture vertically than 1080i signals on my Toshiba. I guess I have to find the best compromise for screen height between the two?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The settings are separate. Each can be adjusted without affecting the other.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greywolf, could you elaborate a bit on how to do that. When I enter the service menu, there is only one Hight adjustment and one Vertical Screen Position adjustment. It seems like no matter how I enter the service menu (whether on one input or another) making changes affects all inputs. Is there something else I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
HIT and VPOS are the same for all inputs. You need to adjust the convergence grid. Adjust HIT and VPOS for a 1080i input, then do the convergence grid. After turning off the TV and turning it on again, do a 480i input. Then go into the service menu and adjust the convergence grid to your satisfaction. My TW56X81 grid needed to be adjusted for TW1, TW2, TW3 and 4:3 screen modes and I think your's does the same. You can tell what settings you have to adjust by checking all the grid displays in the service manual. You can adjust HIT and VPOS to help lay out a string pattern for the grid, just set them back to the 1080i values before working the convergence grid. It took me a lot of time and the grid bends toward the corners a little at the extreme edges but I can read the Foxsports status bar on HDnet now and the stock grid pattern loses half of it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, when I do convergence for different input types (480i, 1080i, etc...), do I just have to have that type of input active before entering the service level convergence? Then does it automatically detect what type of input it is? I guess I assumed that there was only one convergence to do and then it applied across all input types. Right now, when I do convergence I just eyeball the geometry, because I don't have any screens with the convergence grid on them that I could put on the TV. I appreciate all the hlep on this.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Damonb10
So, when I do convergence for different input types (480i, 1080i, etc...), do I just have to have that type of input active before entering the service level convergence?
That's the way I did it. HD, then 480i in TW1, TW2, and 4:3. I don't use TW3. I actually bought the grids. I wouldn't do that again though because the stock grids have too much overscan in the HD mode and cost $150. The measurements in the service manual can be used as a starting point to figure the grid pattern. I would use string lines in the absence of a grid overlay.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the info. However, I don't own the service manual. Do you know where I can find the measurements for setting up strings? Or, how/where I can buy the service manual? How much is the service manual?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I got mine from pacparts.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.