AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my 2nd Hitachi 32udx10s set. The first one had 8% left and 4% right overscan as measured with Avia. Faces appeared out of proportion to me (short.. but not fat). And the display grids in Avia made the set appear to have a left shifted image... ie, there was more grid on the right than on the left.

The 2nd set has the same exact overscan measurements and similar grid shift. Plus, both cable inputs set the display scrolling and is unwatchable. The set's control menus are shifted partially up and of screen so you can't even tell what you're adjusting.

Component input from the DVD player is fine and I can make menu adjustments here with no problem.

Both sets appear to cut off an inch or two on the left side. If this is an overscan problem, then my thinking must be backwards. I would think that overscan would show more image rather than less.

Can someone briefly explain how overscan relates to any of this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errol,

That link sure does help. Now I understand.

What confused me was statements I'd seen about 1.85:1 on 16:9 sets not having any letterboxing. I guessed that meant that the picture was slightly larger than designed. Now I see it means something different altogether.

Looking at that screen on the link, the 5% red line on the left and the 3% blue line on the right is how the crosshatch circle test looked on this Hitachi.

So my next question is: how readily is overscan fixed on this set? And will fixing overscan do anything about the out-of-proportion problem?

Thanks! (and off to spend some more time at that link.. and maybe consider the Panasonic 32HX41 instead)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.