AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded on of those overscan images



On 720p and on 1080p I have overscan when using HDMI. You can see for yourself if the arrows touch the sides of your screen. Even when changing V & H aspects in the service menu of my pana 32lx70 to the minimum value, I still have some overscan. It bugs me cause my other HDMI sources show no overscan on screen.


I was wondering if other people found this out too. At first I didn't see any overscan, but I found out that the 'www' icon of the browser (top left, next to the url bar) always was missing for like 50%. I hope Sony fixes this in a FW update so I can adjust screen aspects like in Warhawk. I know that there are some TVs which have a 1:1 pixel mapping option, but mine lacks this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
If your TV isn't 1:1, wouldn't that make the overscan an "issue" with your TV and not Sony's fault/problem at all? Pretty much every HD source I've ever encountered keeps overscan in mind. A few games don't (SSHD)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. How would the PS3 keep overscan in mind? I have other HDMI sources and they don't show overscan. Infact, I get black borders around images from other HDMI sources since I tweaked the V & H aspects in the service menu to a minimal value. Strangely, a game like Warhawk shows these boarders too (I know you can tweak that in the game). Isn't that weird?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
I'm pissed that HD tv's still overscan by default just so older programming will look good. Screw older programming! I want my TVs to default to 1:1 pixel mapping without having to select it, or even worse, configure it through some hidden service menu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,613 Posts
That's because almost all 720p hdtv's are 1366x768, 1440x900, or 1680x1050. They ALL overscan the 1280x720 signal to fit the display.


The only time I DON'T see overscanning of a 720p signal on a ps3 is when you're outputting a 720p video file on a 1080p tv, then choosing 'original' on a a/v setting (when watching the video file itself, you have to press select and bring out the on screen menu).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trat /forum/post/14331787


Sorry, I don't know what you mean. How would the PS3 keep overscan in mind?

I mean that they usually don't put anything vital in that 5% crop area (for example a game's HUD display or a TV station's logo doesn't extend to the very edge of the screen in case a TV overscans the image).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14333265


I mean that they usually don't put anything vital in that 5% crop area (for example a game's HUD display or a TV station's logo doesn't extend to the very edge of the screen in case a TV overscans the image).

Oh, for sure. And I only have like 1% overscan now. I had to compensate for the original overscan by changing the vertical and horizontal aspects in the service menu of my TV. What strikes me is that a game like Warhawk (which allows for tweaking the aspects in the game itself) outputs with black boarders by default. If I revert to the TVs default overscan, the black boarders match exactly with my screen. So my conclusion is that XMB outputs 720p with overscan on my TV and Warhawk doesn't.


But, could you people please try this for yourself? Take this image http://www.evilboris.com/wp-content/...0_overscan.gif , put it on your PS3 and see if you have overscan on outputting 720p. There is also one for 1080p http://www.tigerdave.com/images/test...0_overscan.gif I just want to see if you guys think your PS3 overscans as well.


On my set, it doesn't show the tips of the black arrows in the corner, so I guess I have like 1% overscan or something. This also happens when I switch the PS3 to 1080p output (works, since my TV accepts that signal).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ /forum/post/14332276


That's because almost all 720p hdtv's are 1366x768, 1440x900, or 1680x1050. They ALL overscan the 1280x720 signal to fit the display.


The only time I DON'T see overscanning of a 720p signal on a ps3 is when you're outputting a 720p video file on a 1080p tv, then choosing 'original' on a a/v setting (when watching the video file itself, you have to press select and bring out the on screen menu).

But, shouldn't the TV (exactly like you tell) just fit the image on the 768p screen? Why would it leave parts of the image out? It doesn't go well with what I would call "fitting". I would finder underscan to be more obvious than overscan, then.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top