AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having an adventure trying to get my computer video (generated through a GeForce 2 GTS card) to display on my Mitsubishi VS-60805 tv at hi resolution. So, I figured out the cabling issues, then downloaded PowerStrip and was able to provide the TV with a feed of 960 x 540. The picture looks pretty darn good, however, I am having a small problem. The top and bottom .5 inch are being cut off the image. Although not a huge issue when watching TV, on a computer you are in trouble b/c you lose the Start bar etc. Does anyone know how to adjust either the TV or the computer display such that I can fit the computer information onto the screen?

Now, just to be clear I have used the custom timings in Wayne Harrleson's post http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ffnotes_17.htm and I am still getting a just a bit too much overscan at 540p. I even have adjusted the horizontal and vertical scan ever so slightly in the advanced set up but I can not get an acceptable picture in my view. I am ok with cropping the bottom with the start bar but you need to access the very top of too many programs to blow off the very top portions (minimize, close, etc.). Please help this is driving my nuts!!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No one is replying, I think out of embarrassment!

After a year of tinkering, I have come to the conclusion that if you have a tube-based digital TV (vs. plasma, LCD, or DLP) you should probably just stick with the S-Video connection if you really want to USE your computer as a multi-purpose device (vs. just watching DVDs).

You will find that your TVs internal line doubler will make the 640x480i picture acceptable and usable, and you will see the entire desktop (maybe with a little bit of black framing around all sides).

Most people I have had over to watch DVDs can't see any quality difference between this config and when I use the KeyDigital transcoder. And it's so much simpler.

Of course the best approach of all is to have an LCD, DLP, or plasma TV that supports native Windows resolutions (e.g., 800x600, 1024x768) or 'widescreen' resolutions like 1280x720 with a native VGA interface.

I chalk up a loss of $150 on the transcoder, but at least my wife is accepting the computer/TV integration now and I'm spending time enjoying my setup instead of futzing with it.

p.s.: You can play around in windows to get it to be acceptable in 640x480 mode, such as increasing the icon size, setting up ClearType, using the 'classic' start menu, auto-hiding the taskbar, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly appreciate your response and candor. I am a bit dissapointed that this may ultimately be the resolution, however, I will throw it out there one more time to the contrarions to prove us both wrong (most of the folks on these boards seem to like a good challenge --:D). Please provide any thoughts you have about getting the whole computer monitor space onto the TV screen at the same time at a higher resolution like 540p. I find it hard to believe with all the brain power available on this board and the relatively large demand that someone hasn't figured this out. Anyone willing to take up the torch? Thanks in advance (and thanks again j for your response).

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it is definitely worthwhile getting the progressive resolutions working. In my experience it is much better than an interlaced s-video solution.

Powerstrip has a couple of in-built resolutions you can try which help with overscan. Try 920x500p (HDTV derived), or perhaps 848x480p. These resolutions/settings mimic an HDTV 960x540p signal, and so a regular HDTV can handle it, and the smaller desktop is centered in the middle of the frame, which usually fixes the overscan.

Some people configure their own settings to minimize the overscan specifically for their TV's. In the FAQ you will find information on how to configure different resolutions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
teamills, the best way I've found to do this is to use slightly less then 540.

For computer use I use 960 x 500 @540p timings so everything works and is stable.

It is still a bit hard to get to all of the buttons on the windows though.

Last night I was playing around and got a 1280 x 720p resolution to work, although it is downconverted to 480p by the TV I still get the whole desktop at 720.

I know it sounds a bit off but it works when I need to get to the buttons I need.

You will have to experiment with your settings to get a full desktop to fit.

Remember the horizontal res doesn't matter, within reason, so you can keep the 960 and use PS to narrow or widen it.

But you must NOT use PS to try and make the height narrow or wider. It won't work.

You just have to keep making new resolutions (i.e. 490, 495, 500, 510 etc.) to see what work for your TV.

btw I do not think your TV can accept a 720p res so don't try it.

It seem to be a Sony thing to accept but not display 720p.

Hope this helps you out :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feed back. I will give this a try tonight and let you know my findings. I knew a challenge would snap folks to action. Thanks again for all of your help. As you may remember this stuff is very frustrating in the beginning. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.