AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of people talking about overscanning and frankly I have no clue how to do it on my TV or if it's even possible.

I have a Zenith 32" 4:3 set and no where in the manual can I find anything about overscanning. Can all TV's do this or just certain ones?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Overscanning can be found in most sets to some degree, especially CRT sets. I don't know how much modern CRTs are affected, but I know overscan was originally built in to compensate for the fact that as televisions aged, the image shrunk. They were designed with overscan so the screen remained filled with image, even as the size of the image shrank over time. It's not typically a user adjustable setting.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
It's not typically a user adjustable setting.
Okay. I just ask because I've read in numerous posts people saying they've set it to x% overscan themselves.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Overscan is only adjustable in the service menu"s on newer tv's, and older tv's usually have pot's inside to adjust the overscan. Other reasons for overscan is the slight variance of the picture size from one station or source to the next and also to hide the design flaws of the tv's like cheap power supply's. If you would like to see how much overscan you have you should pickup a copy of AVIA on DVD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.