AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this guy isn't exactly the most knowledgable guy out there in terms of A/V quality but Harry Knowles of Aint-It-Cool-News just posted his opinions on why he picks HD DVD...

Quote:

Hey folks, Harry here... Sorry about the lack of DVD reports over the last couple of weeks - In some bizarre act of God - both my Bedroom and Living Room DVD units decided to die on me. It was right as I was about to put in my Katharine Hepburn collection...

When equipment dies on you... especially the same kind of equipment... on the same day... well it just makes you think... what am I doing? What's wrong? Is this the time to upgrade?

At the same time - ads began appearing on AICN for Toshiba's HD-A2 HD-DVD Player.

So today - I finally went over to Best Buy to pick one up for $299, the advertised price... Of course, they were out of stock - but they did have the display model, which had never actually even been hooked up - and I'd get a $100 gift card - that I'd use to pick up a few titles.

What made me go HD DVD?

The kicker is... that it can play the 9000 or so DVDs I already have, as well as the HD DVDs. That Backwards compatibility feels right. Also - from the demonstrations I've seen, HD DVD looks better than the BLUE RAY discs. I also love that the player has an upconversion that raises the quality of my existing DVD library to 720p and sometimes 1080i. I've already tested it out and DVDs that I watched last time I watched them - look better than they had before.

I also have a habit of picking the winning formats. I could be wrong this time, but most of my filmmaker friends, in fact all of them that I have had a conversation regarding this with... have told me... HD DVD is the format to go with.

UNQUOTE

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
I had a good time reading the talk back on that one, there was so much disinformation (both for HD DVD and Blu Ray) thrown around by those guys it was overwhelming.

I do have to agree with him that Robin Hood is a beautiful film.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac161 /forum/post/0

I realize this guy isn't exactly the most knowledgable guy out there in terms of A/V quality but Harry Knowles of Aint-It-Cool-News just posted his opinions on why he picks HD DVD...

Quote:

Hey folks, Harry here... Sorry about the lack of DVD reports over the last couple of weeks - In some bizarre act of God - both my Bedroom and Living Room DVD units decided to die on me. It was right as I was about to put in my Katharine Hepburn collection...

When equipment dies on you... especially the same kind of equipment... on the same day... well it just makes you think... what am I doing? What's wrong? Is this the time to upgrade?

At the same time - ads began appearing on AICN for Toshiba's HD-A2 HD-DVD Player.

So today - I finally went over to Best Buy to pick one up for $299, the advertised price... Of course, they were out of stock - but they did have the display model, which had never actually even been hooked up - and I'd get a $100 gift card - that I'd use to pick up a few titles.

What made me go HD DVD?

The kicker is... that it can play the 9000 or so DVDs I already have, as well as the HD DVDs. That Backwards compatibility feels right. Also - from the demonstrations I've seen, HD DVD looks better than the BLUE RAY discs. I also love that the player has an upconversion that raises the quality of my existing DVD library to 720p and sometimes 1080i. I've already tested it out and DVDs that I watched last time I watched them - look better than they had before.

I also have a habit of picking the winning formats. I could be wrong this time, but most of my filmmaker friends, in fact all of them that I have had a conversation regarding this with... have told me... HD DVD is the format to go with.

UNQUOTE

Ride on....long live HD DVD...

Peter

=================

proud owner of HD A2, Mits HD1000u

hd-dvd (17)

·
Registered
351 Posts
9,000 DVD's?

What does he have, like EVERY DVD ever released?

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier /forum/post/0

9,000 DVD's?

That caught my eyes too. Imagine how much CRAP this guy watches...

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
for those who see a duplicate thread:

you could help by posting a link to the original/running thread, and then report the post to a mod to close it

Thank you

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier /forum/post/0

9,000 DVD's?

I don't get the sense that Harry is the type of person to ever "weed" through the collection and remove dead weight. If I kept every cheap DVD I bought on a whim or blind-buy purchase that turned out to be less than stellar, I'd probably be approaching 9k too.

Coupled with the fact that I'm sure he gets a lot of screeners, review discs, and gifts from filmmakers, the 9,000 doesn't shock me too much. Personally -- even as a film freak -- I'd prefer a tighter collection with more of a focus on quality and rewatchability.

This endorsement is great news for HD DVD... even if it is pretty poorly-written and defended (as is typical for that site).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.