AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have torn out the old refinishing job done in our basement. So now I have a bare room 12'x24' with a 7' ceiling and the go ahead to make one end a TV watching area.

Better yet, rather than my original idea to build the short wall out and effectively create a recessed area around our 65" Toshiba rear projection, my wife has said go ahead and get something new!

So.... many.... choices....

1) Is a 7' ceiling practical for a projector? Especially once you consider I'd like to put in a drop ceiling to maintain access to plumbing and wiring.

2) What wiring considerations do I need? Obviously power to wherever the video source is going, as well as the A/V stack (amp, cable box, etc). Ethernet, probably two to the stack, enough speaker wire to cover 7.1 (I'm only at 5.1 now, but just to allow for future expansion).

3) Since I have bare studs to start with, should I be mounting the surrond speakers on the walls, or hang from the ceiling?

4) Again, since this is a multi-purpose room, is there any pros and cons to have a wall mount FP vs a ceiling mount projector as far as making the room useful for other functions?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Quote:
1) Is a 7' ceiling practical for a projector? Especially once you consider I'd like to put in a drop ceiling to maintain access to plumbing and wiring.
Is that your only criteria for a drop ceiling? If so, you should rethink it. Where is the plumbing and wiring in the rest of your house? I bet a million dollars it is buried behind drywall. What happens when you need access to those area? You tear it out, fix the problem and patch it. There is no difference in having drywall in the basement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.