AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum for some time and admit a level of information overload! I've been reading about the basics, but I could really use some suggestions from you experts.

Feel free to respond to part, all, whatever your willingness and expertise!

I've tried to include all relevant information......

This month I will be closing on a 2nd home I've constructed in FL. There is a dedicated home theater room pre-wired for 7.1 if I choose. But I realize that 5.1 is plenty sufficient. The home will be rented out on a weekly basis which limits how much I want to spend on this system, as in quality. I'll probably be doing a +$3,500 PJ in my primary home, but haven't tackled that yet: InFocus 7200 there?

I intend to install a roof mounted projector, screen, and the best "theater in a box" I can put together. But I'm not opposed at all to putting together a better system using separates, Cambridge Soundworks speakers, etc.

The room will be 100% light controlled with ceiling to floor blackout drapery, or that's the plan so far.

I expect that the system will be 60% DVD, 30% TV, 10% Playstation2. Guesswork based on my renters. When I'm there it'll likely be 80% DVD, 15% TV, 5% Playstation2. So I think 16x9 is quite important to me personally.

Budget? I don't really have one so the creation of a budget is part of what I'm asking. I have a very critical eye, so screen door, color wheel, etc. are all concerns for my viewing, but this is my 2nd home so I am willing to make sacrifices. And the primary draw at the home is the pool, spa.

I'd rather spend $1,000 than $3,000 on the projector, and would probably try to stay well under $5,000 for the entire room which will include the drapery (not furniture). If I can go much lower for a passable HT (sounds like a lot of you have accomplished admirable jobs at this), I would prefer that.

Room is 16' long by 11' wide. Viewing will be lengthwise.

I'd be thrilled to hear suggestions on PJ, budget screens. Am I correct that DLP is really where I should be looking right now? Screen door I think would bother me more than rainbow, but I haven't viewed either!

Is this something I'm going to want to tackle on my own as far as setting up? I'm pretty handy, but I won't exactly have tools at the home unless I take in my suitcase. How would you recommend achieving all of this?

Next issue: I'm in Boston if anyone knows a place I can view. Or my home is Orlando and I'm there pretty much every weekend for the next several weeks, for viewing there.

Thanks everyone!

David

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wow. I'd be rather concerned about renters and a projector. I have enough trouble with four kids and getting them not to leave the projector on when they are not using it. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Lock off the theater room and only use it yourself. I rent houses at the Outerbanks of North Carolina and locked doors are not that unusual. As long as that room is not refered to in your rental info nobody should have a beef.

2. You could instead use a fairly inexpensive RPTV for renters, and a pulldown screen that pulls right in front of it for when you are there. You could have the projector mount ready to accept your projector when you show up to use your house. Lamps at $300 are a pretty expensive consumable for renters to break.

Now if the house rents for a lot of money perhaps this is an acceptable risk. In which case you might want to consider making the gear idiot proof with a sophisticated remote system that will turn on the pj automatically and maybe turn if off every night at 1:30AM or something -- just in case.

I am very satisfied with my DLP-based Infocus X1. But a small number of folks have rainbow issues. That could be a concern for your renters even if you and wife are ok.

Sounds like a nice house. Might consider vacationing in Orlando instead of Duck, NC.

:)

JayW

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not having any tools there might cause you some grief. You'll probably need a screwdriver set, hammer and a drill at least, maybe a saw too.

You can get those at any hardware store near the home.

I agree with the previous poster. if it is a rental , a large screen TV might be a wiser choice than a PJ. PJs can be finicky to operate. A TV is set it and forget it design.

All that said if you go for the PJ route, decide if you can live with rainbows or not. If you can the NEC 240 is nice. Build the screen yourself. Whatever you save on that, spend it on the PJ, you'll be happier longer.

Look at teh ME threads in the SCREENS forum.

Look into ceiling mounting and the associated hardare requirements. Cableing.

5.1 is fine.

Sorry I don't know of any good HT in a box system. If you go separates it will be more expensive but worth it. depending how much time you spend there. Whatever you get, make sure it can handle significant sound levels your renters might subject them to. NOthing wordse than realising that someone blew your sh*tty speakers.

good luck,

let us know where this place is and how much the rent,

'm sure some of us will want to vacation there :)

Zed

·
Registered
174 Posts
for your budget, i would probably go with an infocus screenplay 110. The reason why i reccomend this one is because its a native 16:9 projector and it shoots 1000 lumen , which is perfect for your application since you have complete light control. Infocus also has fantastic customer support. When it comes to screens, that your going to have to test out on your own, but i hear alot of good things about stewart greyhawks. As for speakers, athena point 5 system is great, just tie up with an athena ASP-400 sub(or something from SVS which is even better). Get an onkyo 801 and your all set.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blaclk
I expect that the system will be 60% DVD, 30% TV, 10% Playstation2. Guesswork based on my renters. When I'm there it'll likely be 80% DVD, 15% TV, 5% Playstation2. So I think 16x9 is quite important to me personally.

Budget? I don't really have one so the creation of a budget is part of what I'm asking. I have a very critical eye, so screen door, color wheel, etc. are all concerns for my viewing, but this is my 2nd home so I am willing to make sacrifices. And the primary draw at the home is the pool, spa.

I'd rather spend $1,000 than $3,000 on the projector, and would probably try to stay well under $5,000 for the entire room which will include the drapery (not furniture). If I can go much lower for a passable HT (sounds like a lot of you have accomplished admirable jobs at this), I would prefer that.

Room is 16' long by 11' wide. Viewing will be lengthwise.

David
Have you considered HD or standard definition?

If HD seriously consider the Est $1000 Sharp A10X LCD. Especially if you plan to have HD source available such as Cable Co STB or OTA via either STB or computer card.

There is a big difference in watching a movie on DVD versus HD from a source such as COMCAST- (I have 4 HD movie channels now); - and I can't help but think an SVGA projector won't do justice to higher definition sources.

The wow factor seems much better this way than springing for a more expensive projector - and you still are getting XGA resolutoin out of the Sharp

Plus your customers could just hook up a laptop to the projector cable and watch DVDs on the RGB.

If you don't want to spring for HD-cable for a vacation home consider OTA using or STB or HTPC with an HD tuner card. The MyHD card can play DVDs scaled to @ 1080i (beta software now but working on final)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
For well under $3000.00, The BenQ PB6100 DLP projector & the Rocket ELT/Denon Combo. This of course allows you enough money for some drapes and an inexpensive screen.

Or for a little more, get a set of 5 (or 7) Ascend 170's, a SVS 25-31PCi, a Pioneer Elite TX53 Receiver and the BenQ PB6100. This would still run you well under $4000.00 including an inexpensive screen and drapes and would give you excellent bang for the buck.

Or if you're not too sensitive to rainbows, you might want to consider the NEC LT240k which is XGA resolution and would allow you to have a larger screen than the PB6100(but at over twice the price!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.