AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my problem.

My 7200 of 7 years finally blew. The super bowl is coming up and Baltimore might have a small chance  I however am without a projector and I have been looking around for the past month or so but am just being overwhelmed with the variety there is now.

Back when I first built my theater I had my 2 options, the SP 7200 and the Sharp Z10000 (pretty easy ) Now with reading on everything and loving some of these screen shots im just lost. Im going to do what I did back then and hope it works the same.

- I have a room where the seating distance will be about 13 feet from the screen.

- The projector will be mounted 14 feet from the screen and needs to drop from the ceiling about 6 inches to clear a ceiling fan.

- I have a door right next to the screen which is not light controlled for early evening watching of sports games, or video games so I will need something that can accommodate this.

- The screen is a 119 Da-Lite High Contract Cinema vision screen.

I have been out of the game for a little while and need some direction of where I should start looking? I was considering the IN83 but am worried about the placement limitations. I looked at an RS10/20, and I have considered the VPL-VW60, along with the Benq w5000. Read all great things and their cons on these. I am after something that will give me a good enough pictures as my 7200 did (hopefully not something that was as loud as that color wheel) and something that will last me a good amount of time (somewhat future proof) budget is give or take 5k (preferably under cause I would like a new speaker system soon)

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,376 Posts
Start by covering that door! Spend some chump-change on getting ride of the ambient light. If not, your options are probably limited to a light cannon and a JVC or Sony is a waste of great CR/blacks.

Follow that up by taking you time. The Ravens are going down! For the third time this year!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just went through a similar upgrade (7205) and took a few pictures here.

My 7205 was about 13' back hitting a 110" diagonal screen.

I was happy with the 7205 DLP look so considered the Benq 5000 and IN83 but they weren't particularly placement friendly. I wanted to position the projector in the same location - 13' back, about 8" above the top of the screen.

The Panasonic and Epson would have worked but I was worried about dust blobs and panel alignment. I borrowed a new Sony VPL-VW40 (last year's low end model) and was wow'ed by the picture.

I landed on the Sony VPL-HW10. It's super quiet, has a sealed light path (no dust blobs), has convergence adjustment and throws an outstanding image.

My wife's comment when we watched BluRay Ratatouille - "Can the picture really be this much better?"

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahmi /forum/post/15544738

I looked at an RS10/20, and I have considered the VPL-VW60, along with the Benq w5000.

I'm amazed how the W5000 gets so much attention that people seem to overlook the obvious step-up to a W20000, considering your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahmi /forum/post/15544738

Read all great things and their cons on these. I am after something that will give me a good enough pictures as my 7200 did (hopefully not something that was as loud as that color wheel) and something that will last me a good amount of time (somewhat future proof) budget is give or take 5k (preferably under cause I would like a new speaker system soon)

OK, I'm going to give you my own take on the "future proof" thing - that a lot of people will probably disagree with: I think "future proof" is actually starting to make sense. However, it has as much to do with your own way of thinking about your theatre, as it has to do with the technical qualities of the equipment: First off, you need to acknowledge that the best picture you can get, is an accurate representation of the source material. Hence, whatever you do, the overall image quality will at some point be limited by whatever the source material contains, you can't do better than that. When you realize this, delivering good pictures actually becomes a lot easier, because you actually have a fairly realistic goal to achieve, instead of chasing some abstract feeling of "good picture quality". And the good news is that good projectors with good setup is actually starting to reach that goal. Save black level, and be aware of your screen size, and you will actually be able to deliver a performance that to a great extent delivers a very nice presentation of what the content has to deliver.

In my opinion, this is what you need to do, to get a picture that will give you good performance years on: 1: COLOR FIDELITY! Get a projector that is accurate all-round - not just D65 calibrated, but one that actually delivers close to rec.709 colorspace, accurate color decoding, and a smooth grayscale. 2: ample contrast, and proper gamma. You will not be able to get _perfect_ contrast, but you can get "good enough", to a point where it shouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if you can get a decent gamma curve out of it. 3: Ample light output. Try to reach around 12 fL calibrated, even with a thousand hours on the lamp. 4: Get a DLP. I know, now I'll get bashed by a bunch of DLP haters and/or DILA lovers, but if you want to use your PJ for a very long time, you just have to consider the fact that anything other than DLP will eventually show signs of wear.

Of course, you can always get sharper, smoother pictures, and especially higher contrast, and of course next year you can buy a better projector for the same or less money - but if you focus on whether or not you are delivered what was put into the films, instead of focusing on whether or not your neighbour has 11,5% more contrast than you do, if you make the right choices you WILL actually be able to buy a setup that can give you good experiences 5-10 years on. You just need to focus on delivering movies, instead of delivering pictures. Then you won't get caught in the most common trap: Buying something that you think is good, and then 6 months later you learn that it wasn't actually as good as you thought, you just didn't know better.

That's why I brought up the W20000 vs W5000 - even if you think the W5000 is "good enough", if you have the means, go for the W20000 - don't settle for just "good enough", because in 6 months it won't be good enough anymore. Reach for the best possible picture you can get, and the chance that you will never get tired of it, is much smaller. That may be obvious, but I think that a lot of people are missing a great opportunity in this market right now: Projectors in general are better than ever, and you can get very nice pictures from quite affordable projectors (like the W5000). But I think way too many people take the wrong approach to this - instead of getting "fair" pictures for less money, why not make the most of this development, and realize that you can actually get quite high-end pictures from medium priced setups today - especially if you take some of the money you just saved because of the prices dropping, and put it into improving your room, light control, calibration/setup, sources...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve...third times a charm! and i gotta root for the home team
as for covering up the door, id love to, but the basement room that houses the theater also happens to be one of the main entertainment areas. TV watching is more for night, but i said those occasional game days that i dont want to use any of the other TVs in the house

thelastrange- wow sounds almost similar to my setup. i will take a look at the HW-10 and see how it works. When you looked into the IN83 how much of an offset/problem was there going to be with your current setup? Screen adjustment up and down isnt a problem for me. Is there anything else that i would have a problem with if i were to consider the in83?

otto- thanks for that insite. I loved my DLP, i dont think i could have gotten a better picture which is why im leaning toward getting another, but havent kept up with the new technology and am trying to re-educate myself in such a short time. I will take a look at the w20000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts